Thread: Fabric Painting over scuba knit?

Fabric Painting over scuba knit?

Hi Every-Mer! Since I've started my Mer journey a good couple years ago I've only really used fabric paint on spandex material with glitter and sequins etc. So I want to pick the brains of my fellow crafty mers on the subject of using fabric paint over scuba knit material.

I want to know firstly if anyone has tried it so that I have a database to work from. I've also considered ordering a tail from swimtails, The Mako blue which I want to alter with paint slightly to the match the idea that I have in mind more closely. I have a sewing machine and I could make the tail myself but I don't have the space setup right now.

I'm also considering one of their siren tails which I would prefer but only if they can customize the existing colors a bit ( sent them an email about this and I'm waiting on a response)

Anyway if anyone has any experience with this or could recommend some good aquatic fabric paints that would be a great help. Also for those who are curious I'll send pics of more or less what I want to do.

I'd love to have Courtney Mermaid make me a tail but that would be a bit too expensive at the moment.

These are from Finfolks Shipwreck siren ( which I missed out on) I ADORE these colors , and I want that sort of stormy mermaid look, bear in mind that I don't plan on copying the tail, I just like the color scheme, I get an intense emotional reaction to it. 🤣🤣 sort of like this picture below

It's just so Atmospheric.

This picture give you a better idea of the nude/cream colour at the top where it blends into the waist, I'm quite pale so it could work well for me, just another disclaimer that I'm not planning on copying the design. My tail will be heavily inspired by the color scheme and the Sirens from the Witcher universe. See pictures below.

So rusk teals and cream to give it an organic feel, If anyone can suggest some good paints for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Jacquard Lumiere and Neopaque paints for painting my tails and they hold up very well. You heat set them after painting and they sink right into the fabric meaning it won’t stop the fabric from sketching.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Dreamtide View Post
    I use Jacquard Lumiere and Neopaque paints for painting my tails and they hold up very well. You heat set them after painting and they sink right into the fabric meaning it won’t stop the fabric from sketching.
    My first response yay thank you, I will have a look at those paints, did you buy them locally or order them online? Also have you tried painting on the scuba knit fabric? By heat setting I'm assuming you mean ironing the fabric ? Or do you use a hairdryer or something else?

Neopaque seems to be what would be best to use for large areas of solid color and the lumiere for accenting and color gradients , scales etc.