Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bob like a cork

I bob like a cork

Are there any techniques I can practice to keep myself from popping right back up every time I go underwater?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    me too. lol

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Same. The moment I stop swimming, I float straight to the surface!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Have any of you tried weighted belts or bracelets?

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSelkie View Post
    Have any of you tried weighted belts or bracelets?
    Not with my tail. I have a super utilitarian weight belt for scuba diving. Hadn’t thought of using it for mermaiding.

I'd test it and see if it works, then maybe get one you can decorate if it does? I have heard other mers use them.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    I too am positively bouyant to the extent that it can be a real struggle to keep underwater at times. I find exhaling as I dive helps, and head straight for the bottom. I like the idea of bracelets though, I wonder if they'd feel better than a weight belt would.
    Never really enjoy weight belts when I snorkel.

I love the bracelet idea. I wonder where one would purchase such a thing.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I have 5 pounds of net buoyancy when under water. I made a set of heavy bracelets and upper arm bands out of stainless steel. Together, they make me a little negatively buoyant.
    Also, by where I hold my arms, I can adjust my balance point.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I have 5 pounds of net buoyancy when under water. I made a set of heavy bracelets and upper arm bands out of stainless steel. Together, they make me a little negatively buoyant.
    Also, by where I hold my arms, I can adjust my balance point.
    That is really awesome, Storm! It is super neat to be able to adjust balance, too.

Oh my gosh! I got on mernetwork today for this very reason! I was watching a video of a mermaid friend laying at the bottom of the pool and that's not an option for me at all!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    One thing about using bracelets: There are many stainless steel ones on Amazon. But I recommend staying away from open ended cuff bracelets. When you swim, the water gets under them and can strip them off your wrist. Get bangle bracelets, or something with a clasp. Mine are hinged cuff bracelets with a pin closure.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    there are only 3 things one can do:
    weights, exhaling, and deeper water.

Shallow pools (meaning pretty much all of them bar diving wells) are a floater's nightmare.
    Starting with weights until one is familiar with how to move and pose underwater (and also building muscle mass) helps.
    But ultimately, it's never going away as it's determined by personal bone density and such.

While I can never stay down in a pool until actively swimming or sculling downward, diving in a deep lake or the ocean is completely different.
    I went down around 6 meters and was then neutrally buoyant (meaning, weightless like in space).
    Keep in mind that this is the natural state of things, though.
    Normal people float up until deeper than 5 metres or so and go into fall mode when deeper than 10m.
    Those who sink to the bottom of a shallow pool and stay there unless actively swimming up are NOT the norm and have a hard time when surface swimming.

I never knew that people would sink under 10 meters.... that is slightly scary

I would hope that if you’re going deeper than 10 meters that you would have had proper freediving training or have scuba gear on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Velos View Post
    I never knew that people would sink under 10 meters.... that is slightly scary
    Let me explain it. On the surface, there is a pressure of ~ 1 Bar (should be 1 at sea level). Every 10m, the pressure increases by 1 bar, which means, you will have 2 Bar pressure. The result is that you now do have the double pressue (2 Bar) which results into pressing the air in you for example to the half volume. The result is what you expect.

The other direction is more scary - if something exceeds the amount of pressure that something is containing while going to the surface.

Junior Member Pod of the Southwest MermaidKalypsa's Avatar
    Add MermaidKalypsa on Facebook
    Visit MermaidKalypsa's Youtube Channel
    Between my positive buoyancy and neoprene, I need about 6-8 pounds of weights. Which will change between fresh and salt water.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    You can use your buoyancy to your advantage...

When I tread water, I don't have to do much hand movement and kicking like you would do. I can undulate every now and then, and not sink.

Coming up for air is also much easier, as the floaty propulsion brings you up naturally after a kick or two.
    Formerly known as ireneho

When I tread water it’s like zero effort. Just kinda move my arms.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    It is kind of nice to just be able to drift up and breathe when you need too.