Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I bob like a cork

It's funny because I'm buoyant too, and I was thinking the weight of the Mahina helped with that... Until I added the neoprene socks, that are buoyant too!

~Neerai Every, the Pirate Mermaid~

I find that my monofin is WAY less buoyant than my scuba fins. Everything is floaty. Fins are floaty, neoprene is floaty, salt water is super floaty.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    So to revisit this, I went looking for stainless steel bracelets like Storm described. I didn't really have much luck, but then, because apparently people are obsessed with getting into venues and drinking their own booze, I came across the booze bangle/bracelet. I've got no use for one of these, I don't drink such things, but if you fill them up with aquarium gravel or ball bearings or something, seal up with Loctite, one on each wrist, with maybe some padding if you're skinny in the wrist, it works a treat! They come in lots of colours too. Here's a link to mine. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Piq6rKfSZwm6VP46

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Loool that's a hilarious idea. Good cross use
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Quote Originally Posted by Merleece View Post
    So to revisit this, I went looking for stainless steel bracelets like Storm described. I didn't really have much luck, but then, because apparently people are obsessed with getting into venues and drinking their own booze, I came across the booze bangle/bracelet. I've got no use for one of these, I don't drink such things, but if you fill them up with aquarium gravel or ball bearings or something, seal up with Loctite, one on each wrist, with maybe some padding if you're skinny in the wrist, it works a treat! They come in lots of colours too. Here's a link to mine. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Piq6rKfSZwm6VP46
    Awesome!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Thanks! I was very pleased that they worked so well.

Awesome idea!

Iso decorative quick release weight belt

I wish someone would make a decorative quick release weight belt & sell it. I am not very crafty. However what I did do is I sewed a Velcro strap onto a bean bag style scuba diving weight and I thread it through my bathing suit bottom's crotchal region. It looks like I'm pooping if it slides out of place but it's otherwise kinda nifty.

Junior Member Pod of the Southwest MermaidKalypsa's Avatar
    Add MermaidKalypsa on Facebook
    Visit MermaidKalypsa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by redlefgnid View Post
    I wish someone would make a decorative quick release weight belt & sell it. I am not very crafty. However what I did do is I sewed a Velcro strap onto a bean bag style scuba diving weight and I thread it through my bathing suit bottom's crotchal region. It looks like I'm pooping if it slides out of place but it's otherwise kinda nifty.
    I've considered making them, but I also don't want to be liable for people who aren't trained with weights drowning.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I'm a plus sized mermaid and I'm so buoyant I bloody hate it. Diving under the water isn't a problem but I cant stay at the bottom. Its fruatrati g the crap out of me. I'll try bracelets thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I'm just here in envy. I'm one of those rare sinkers burning off too much energy to remain at the surface.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I'm just here in envy. I'm one of those rare sinkers burning off too much energy to remain at the surface.
    So clearly we have to swim together and achieve neutral buoyancy.
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    You may be right. I have to wear a long sleeve wetsuit just to get any buoyancy at all. I want to even learn scuba and reading about the 10 meter free fall earlier in the thread concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwilena View Post
    So clearly we have to swim together and achieve neutral buoyancy.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Same here, I float like a battleship. In my cloth tails (depending on the fin), getting down may not be so bad, but the second I stop moving I'm headed to the surface like a shot. In my silicone tail I have to treat it like a 5mil neoprene wet suit. If I'm not weighted I am going I have to really work to get under. For safety I use the quick release belt. and about 8 lbs weight. The last set of weights I had (have to redo them) I made them to look like little treasure chests (like you see in fish tanks) and hung some netting off the back off the belt to kind of skirt off. That way it did not block the release if I needed to use it and fit in with the look. Was looking for something on the market pre-made that did not look like a weight belt but that's not working out too well.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    You may be right. I have to wear a long sleeve wetsuit just to get any buoyancy at all. I want to even learn scuba and reading about the 10 meter free fall earlier in the thread concerns me.
    scuba is completely different, so don't be too concerned.
    You control your buoyancy with your jacket and your air tank, so at most you will need less weight than the average diver.

But I can relate insofar as I've been doing a lot of deeper water performances lately while heavily weighted, and trying to surface with all that weight while on your last bit of air is not the nicest feeling xD

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    I make 500g scallop shell and starfish weights (bringing out a 1kg one soon) that slide onto standard quick release weight belts so depending on the water and tail the weight can be adjusted.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I've recently started swimming again. I tried holding my breath to swim forward underwater. The problem is that I kept surfacing. If I were wearing my silicone tail, would that help? I don't know how much it weighs. It's scaleless, but it's probably the same in every other way. A Merrowfins tail.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    In terms of weight, silicone is virtually weightless underwater. It will not act at ballast. (Actually, it weighs about 5% of what it does out of the water. For example, my 30 lb Spellbound weighs 1.5 pounds under water.)
    In terms of propulsion, it will help simply because faster you are swimming easier it is to stay under. Dive 2 or 3 feet under the surface and swim with your body angled down.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!