Thread: Silicone monofins + beginners =?

Junior Member Euro Pod Aodhamair's Avatar

Silicone monofins + beginners =?

Hi merfolk,

I am an absolute beginner and looking into which monofin to buy as my first one.

I am going to do a mermaid introduction course next Sunday and will get to try out their finfun monofins/skins.
    However if I enjoy mermaiding as much as I think I will, I will want to buy my own monofin for it soon. Now I absolutely love the flop, promised comfort, shape and look of the Finis Luna and the Fantasea monofins.
    Now my question is: are those at all suitable for a monofin novice like me?

Alternatively I am thinking maybe just get a finis foil first (they are cheap and seem to be relatively decent but I don't like the shape as much)

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!.
    Last edited by Aodhamair; 09-03-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    The only thing I wouldn’t reccomend about the Luna for beginners is that it’s not as easy to slip off in an emergency as the straps are tight around the ankles, rather than like the FinFun or Suntails that have a loose pocket which is great for beginners. Ultimately it’s up to you and how comfortable you feel with something a bit more advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

The fantasea is supposed to be hands-free to remove and exceptionally comfortable, according to both M. Raina and Courtney M's reviews. It is going to be my first fin.
    However, I do not see it used with fin skins outside of the ones Mertailor makes for them, so it might be limiting?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Thank you so much for your response Mari. I may just get something cheap to practice with first and move up from there. I guess I’ll wait until after my introduction lesson to really decide if it is for me and if I think I can handle it. It is just kinda hard to tell without trying first.
    Last edited by Aodhamair; 09-04-2018 at 04:02 AM.

@chealseaselkie I plan to make my own skin anyway but also quite fancy the whimsy fantasea ones that are supposed to fit the fantasea monofin. They look quite pretty, I love the one Raina wore in her try out video. So I am not too worried about that.
    Last edited by Aodhamair; 09-04-2018 at 04:03 AM.

I can put on my fantasea without my hands if it is wet, and it us easy to slip out of if you are purposely trying to

The Finis Foil is a great monofin to start out with. It gives plenty of thrust, enables you to swim on your side or your back, and travels well. You can share a pool lane without getting in the way of the other swimmer. And, it is much more affordable than most other monofins.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    The Finis Foil is a great monofin to start out with. It gives plenty of thrust, enables you to swim on your side or your back, and travels well. You can share a pool lane without getting in the way of the other swimmer. And, it is much more affordable than most other monofins.
    I agree, the finis foil is a great choice. It's small, but fast and I have it in my silicone tail. it is also easy to get off quickly.
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    Yes I was surprised to see I could get one for 40 euro from a Dutch seller... that will be different for the fantasea for sure it is 150 dollar to start with + shipping and import that will add up to quite a bit I fear.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Here are my reviews of both for your consideration

What I will say is that if you find you're a floaty mermaid like me, you may need a much stiffer monofin in order to get some PUSH. I can only really use these monofins with a weight belt, otherwise I can't do the kick correctly. Not enough push for me.

Other great starters are the Finis Foil

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Here are my reviews of both for your consideration

What I will say is that if you find you're a floaty mermaid like me, you may need a much stiffer monofin in order to get some PUSH. I can only really use these monofins with a weight belt, otherwise I can't do the kick correctly. Not enough push for me.

Other great starters are the Finis Foil
    Thanks so much Raina, I watched your reviews earlier this week and have subscribed to your channel. Thank you for answering (I am a little starstruck here ha ha).
    Anyway I have no idea how floaty I am I guess I’ll find out on Sunday. What detirmines that?
    The finis foil was also on my list for sure as it is affordable.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    sometimes it's body composition like how much muscle and fat and bone density, sometimes... who knows! It seems to be genetics for my family we all float lol. I do find when I have more muscle I sink better, but it's still a lot of work. lol.