Thread: Quality IRIDESCENT Fabric???

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Flick's Avatar

Quality IRIDESCENT Fabric???

I've tried to make my own unique tail skins in the past, and while they look nice, the glittery fabrics I choose tend to rub off super easily even with the slightest wear. I've used mostly polyester-spandex mixes and don't have much money to spend on making a super fancy tail or buy expensive fabrics like neoprene, but I want to make another tail. Anybody know of some higher quality swimsuit fabrics that'll last as a mermaid tail and are realistically priced? Particularly ones with glittery scale patterns or iridescence? Does iridescent swimsuit fabric that lasts even exist? Please help!

I've yet to come across one that does last. Unfortunately, it just comes with the territory.

The closest thing I can think of is iridescent/metallic fabric paint with a heat set i.e. Lumiere, but even then I'm sure it'll need touch ups from time to time.
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Foil, holographic, iridescent, they never last. You're better off getting printed scale tails.
    Formerly known as ireneho

The way these fabrics are made, they don't last. Foils are printed onto the fabrics, not infused into the threads, and they dissolve in water with regular washes/use. My suggestion to you would be to paint a plainer fabric yourself with fabric paints (Courtney Mermaid has a great tutorial on her youtube channel about this) in order to get the look you want. Mock-iridescence is actually an achievable look with paints.

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Flick's Avatar
    @ChelseaSelkie @Mermaid Jaffa @Mermaid Whisper Thanks for the help! I think I might go with sequins instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Flick View Post
    @ChelseaSelkie @Mermaid Jaffa @Mermaid Whisper Thanks for the help! I think I might go with sequins instead.
    Do you plan on going in any bodies of water other than pools with your tail? If so, I would encourage you to try and stay away from sequins. They shed, no matter how much you stitch them in, and therefore can be a hazard to wildlife. If it is a pool-only tail... go for it!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

this stuff from spandexworld is crazy. i’ve made 2 tails from it (one wet, one dry) and it has been WAY more durable than other iridescent spandexes i’ve used. the tail i made my sister has taken some heavy beatings and sat soaked in chlorine for god knows how long, but i’ve had no issues with the scales flaking off. (except for some heavier wear on the heels, since she would stand in the tail all the time -__-“)

the foil scales seem to be very thick and well bonded to the spandex. this means the fabric isn’t quite as stretchy as other spandexes, but the scales are more durable. if you stretch it far, the scales will “shatter” a little bit and lose some shine. still haven’t had flaking though. i plan on making myself a tail out of this material or a similar one from spandexworld, and i’ll let you know how it holds up.

https://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/12028

(note i have only tried this specific scale pattern. the other slightly different foil scale pattern fabrics on their site may have different properties.)

Add Aquariuz on Facebook Add Aquariuz on Google+
    I make fabric tails as well, and can also attest to the lack of durability of foil and metallic spandex. What i have done though, and does last well is to take either clear or colored flexible fabric paint that has glitter in it, and with a paintbrush, apply generous strokes around scales patterns, or around other pattern designs on your tail. Its time consuming, but the fabric paints generally stay, especiallywhen heat set, so its a more durable way to get glimmer on your tail that will stay!