Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordered in 2016 and...

Ordered in 2016 and...

Wanted to make a post here to see if any other folks placed an order with Merbella around when I did. (Nov 20, 2016.) I was told the wait time was over a year.

Tyler Sutter told me Raven loved my tail design so much she wanted to take it on despite their load. I paid up front for a heavily custom OOAK mold. Here is my sketch: https://www.instagram.com/p/BNQl7gbB...by=dorian.kane

Since then, I've received very sparse, sketchy communication. I had to pressure for updates and, about 8-9 months ago, I finally received photos of my supposedly finished fin molds. Then nothing until this point.

Since then, I've noticed their turnaround time silently go up and up from 120 days to 1 year+ and now a vague 2+ years. All with no communication to me. Now I'm hearing they tell new clients its "open production" with no upper limit to completion.

I also own my own art business and so I understand to an extent that things evolve, but the lack of communication is beyond unprofessional. I mean... 8 months? Yikes!

I've seen some folks on here have gotten refunds on their orders and I'm tempted to pursue that myself despite my initial excitement. Anyone have an experience to link or share with me?

Edit: I've sent them an email requesting a refund and cancellation since I've seen that others have done this successfully.
    Last edited by Merman Dorian; 09-09-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Update with info

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    That sucks, bro. Unfortunately, I believe other are having the same issue.
    It's sad because that's such an awesome design and would've been perfect in Merbella's style.

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    That really sucks. I hope it gets sorted out, because that design is going to look sick!
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Update, received a mystical response from them!

"Hello Dorian,We completely understand your concerns with this order.
    While our invoice terms and conditions outlines that there is no refunds for custom orders,
    we admit that we under-estimated the timeframe of this order with the custom sculpts.
    Therefore we will not dispute the refund and begin the process immediately."

Their terms and conditions are nowhere to be found, but their brief ToS says no refunds for custom items. But hey, I never received my "custom item" so...? Either way, I'm awaiting to see if they do send the refund.

Total bummer because I wanted a tail from Merbella, if I was going to get one from anyone. Was willing to pay anything.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I am really sorry. I normally know their inner workings but lost contact last year. It sucks your tail is beautiful and would have been amazing in Merbella style but wow that's a long time to wait. I am glad you're getting a refund, you shouldn't have an issue they've never *not* paid someone back so no worries there. Just sad you didn't get your tail always nice to have more mermen!

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Sorry to see this, Dorian. Your design is beautiful. Since you are an artist, have you considered making your own? If you have patience and don't rush the project, you might be surprised what you come up with! I was.

Thanks for the support everyone! Needless to say, folks should take caution when committing to an order with Merbella as I see more and more people cancelling or reporting similar experiences with Raven and Tyler. Pity!! Because they do beautiful work. As an artist with a business myself, I know how important it is to inspire confidence in your clients, however, particularly when transactions are hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I expressed multiple times to them that I wanted updates and that I was growing uneasy with the lack of communication and they willfully ignored my emails, seeing how quickly I received a response on my request for a refund. Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Sorry to see this, Dorian. Your design is beautiful. Since you are an artist, have you considered making your own? If you have patience and don't rush the project, you might be surprised what you come up with! I was.
    Keiris, I've certainly considered it! I have a friend who is looking to get into tail-making and I watched her work a bit. It's highly involved and the materials are very expensive but since I'm not getting my Merbella tail after all, I may have to look into it more seriously, even though I don't have much of a workspace for it at the moment.

Just don't feel like a Merman without a tail. Gotta find some alternative!

That's such a pity that you had to wait so long, I know I've always wanted a Merbella studios tail and hopefully will someday, I'm sure they are going through a tough patch and are evolving their business. I'm sure they will find a way past this hurdle and start getting more tail order out sooner, have my fins crossed for your refund and your design is breathtaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked their Facebook, seems like they are more active on there, have you tried sending them a Pm ? Chances their emails are a bit flooded with the usual 10 year olds with, "help I want to be a mermaid " queries lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Just checked their Facebook, seems like they are more active on there, have you tried sending them a Pm ? Chances their emails are a bit flooded with the usual 10 year olds with, "help I want to be a mermaid " queries lol
    Yes, certainly I've tried, but they don't actually engage on FB and their messenger is set to automate a return message, telling you to email them. :P So, they funnel all correspondence through their email but choose not to respond, since I got a quick response when I asked for a refund. Seems they were over-eager to cancel my commission and likely had no intention of seeing it to completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dorian View Post
    Yes, certainly I've tried, but they don't actually engage on FB and their messenger is set to automate a return message, telling you to email them. :P So, they funnel all correspondence through their email but choose not to respond, since I got a quick response when I asked for a refund. Seems they were over-eager to cancel my commission and likely had no intention of seeing it to completion.
    Oh no I had no idea they had an automated response ( never tried myself) I can imagine your frustration I really hope you get this one sorted, that design of yours is begging to be made , I just hope it will be in the incarnation you've imagined.

Have just successfully received my refund from Merbella. Thank goodness that's over.
    Now to find an alternative tailmaker. I'm after something heavily custom and it seems most tailmakers go for the assembly-line look. Bummer!

There are a couple tail makers that allow you to do custom looks, with an extra cost due to creating new molds and such

I think you just have to ask around, some tail maker will probably agree to new sculpts if you pay extra. I would see if Mernation would do that possibly first, considering their wait times are shorter, and they answer emails better than pretty much every other big name tail company, at least to my knowledge.

Senior Member Euro Pod SeaNymph's Avatar
    Hi Dorian, great you got back a refund. I'm sorry to hear your story and I hope you will find a new tailmaker who fulfills your tail dreams. Merbella canceled my tail order after three years wait time without explanation, without apologies, without even talking to me about possible reasons. I ordered and paid in full in July 2015. Now hearing that they take on new orders breaks my heart.

I have never experienced something more unprofessional and disappointing in my ten-year mermaid life like how Merbella treated me although I was a returning and loyal client.
    I feel ya and wish you the best with a better tailmaker who hopefully shows respect and responsibility for their clients!
    Last edited by SeaNymph; 09-12-2018 at 03:20 AM.
    From Africa: A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. Itīs the rough times that make what you are!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    wow Dorian, your design is awesome. Looks like the deepsea siren creature from SL.
    I hope you can get it made exactly as you envision it!
    (btw if the non-black parts would glow in the dark would make it extra special)

@SeaNymph
    Sad to hear about your terrible experience, but I think you can do without a Merbella tail.
    For one, the tails I've seen you in are already awesome, secondly you could wear a nylon sock and would still look more authentic as a mermaid than many others I've seen in one of the super fancy tailmaker tails

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I really feel so sorry for everyone, I don't know what to say. I wish I knew what was going on, or if I could help in some way.

Senior Member Euro Pod SeaNymph's Avatar
    Thank you for your nice words Echidna, they made my day!! You are right, I can live without a Merbella tail, there are other talented tailmakers out there and at the end of the day I can make a tail myself. It's more like... you know.. if you trust and respect Merbellas and they let you down like this... It's professionally and personally inacceptable.
    Thank you too Raina, I know you would help if you could, you have always done so much for others! I have struggeled with all of this too long, maybe it's time to accept it like it is and move on...����
    From Africa: A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. Itīs the rough times that make what you are!

Have just successfully received my refund from Merbella. Thank goodness that's over.
    Now to find an alternative tailmaker. I'm after something heavily custom and it seems most tailmakers go for the assembly-line look. Bummer!
    mernation allows you to design a custom fluke

Hiya Dorian , sorry to hear about you experience. I have sent you a pm , hope it can help you out

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork