Thread: Mermaids and drones? Your thoughts?

Mermaids and drones? Your thoughts?

Ok so this is something I’ve seen a few Merfolk do! They take drone on swims with them to get footage and pictures! I’ve seen my tail maker do this, as well as other Instagram mers! What do y’all think? Would you take a drone with you on a swim? What kinda drone would you get or do you have?

Thoughs who use drones what are the pros and cons about it you’ve found? And do y’all have drones with the follow me function? Or just a team mate operating it?

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

I have a Power Vision Power ray submarine drone with no follow feature. Those ones are way more pricey. https://www.amazon.com/Power-Vision-...ision+powerray

Pros: The operator is controlling it outside of the water and therefore doesn't need to get cold, tired or wet during a shoot. This is awesome. Its also shot in 4k and is a pretty complex and powerful little piece of equipment. Panning and following shots look smooth and amazing and you can reach incredible depths with it.
    Cons: The battery life is only 2-3 hours long (from personal use experience) and recharging it takes a while. The drone itself is not able to hold a visual angled shot in a resting position. Basically the drone can't be sitting still and just pan upward and hold that position. It just bobs up and back down to the previous position and its really really obnoxious. The controls take a while to master if you want a smooth, well planned out shot. I'd suggest having someone who has had experience with the controls using it for any serious shoots. The tether cord is a bit of a pain in the ass and can get wrapped around things and has no reel so you basically have to wrap it up by hand. Also its expensive so maybe make sure you're going to get your money's worth out of it lol.

Omg that drone is amazing !!!!!! Thow wish you could operate it in the water. I didn’t even know their were underwater drones. My tail maker uses one that flys over her while she swims !!! You opened up a lot of possibility’s !!!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app

As far as mermaid footage goes, I actually find that a GoPro is often more useful and sometimes gives better results than this drone so you're definitely not missing out on the hottest new piece of equipment haha. I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    As far as mermaid footage goes, I actually find that a GoPro is often more useful and sometimes gives better results than this drone so you're definitely not missing out on the hottest new piece of equipment haha. I don't know if I would recommend it to everyone.
    I have a go pro but for the life of me I can not figure it out or even get my videos to down load !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    I have a go pro but for the life of me I can not figure it out or even get my videos to down load !!!!
    Lol well the Power Ray has an internal Memory card and its WAY more of a pain in the ass to access than my easy-as-pie Gopro.. so it might be troublesome. I've only been able to successfully access the drone's memory card once hahah.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    we recently had a drone operator come and take some footage of us, was cool!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    we recently had a drone operator come and take some footage of us, was cool!
    Did you like how your footage came out?

Did you like it enough to consider buying one for your company?

no, drone use is really severely limited where I live, as are... our summers. We are mostly indoors so it wouldn't benefit us

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Well, there seems to be a project from a French company to create a kind of autonomous underwater autonomous vehicle that follows you around when you dive while filming. It seems to be just in the prototype stage at the moment, but if it works it would be cool. It is called IBubble.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

yeah I have been following ibubble for years and considered buying into it but glad I didn't. it isnt working as expected

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    yeah I have been following ibubble for years and considered buying into it but glad I didn't. it isnt working as expected
    Ah, I thought something like that already. Too much glossy advertising, too few reports of it actual working...

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app