Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonstone inspired tail design

Moonstone inspired tail design

Hello everyone! So you may remember that i posted a tail design some time ago.. well ive had to rethink getting my original design as all the additional fins would add about $1000 to the cost of the tail
    So i came up with an entirely new design that I think looks nice without any extra fins but im still not absolutely loving it.... im not sure what it is exactly but somethings just not right :/

Any advice on improving the design?Name:  IMG_0063.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  50.7 KB

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Euro Pod
    ohh! looks AMAZING!
    I love the lil fins on the fluke!

It's very nice, but that isn't a moon stone, it's white labradorite This is moonstone: https://www.energymuse.com/moonstone-stones.html and it comes in an off-white, light orange and gray color

Senior Member Pod of Texas gay-mermaid's Avatar

Follow gay-mermaid on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    It's very nice, but that isn't a moon stone, it's white labradorite This is moonstone: https://www.energymuse.com/moonstone-stones.html and it comes in an off-white, light orange and gray color
    White labradorite is often called rainbow moonstone

pronouns are they/them/their

I think this is gorgeous no matter what it's called! Don't forget the the scales will add more texture to your design. Are you adding any sort of shimmer or shine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ocean View Post
    ohh! looks AMAZING!
    I love the lil fins on the fluke!
    The base is actually from the mertailors website but thank you! ♡

Quote Originally Posted by MerPizza View Post
    I think this is gorgeous no matter what it's called! Don't forget the the scales will add more texture to your design. Are you adding any sort of shimmer or shine?
    If i end up actually ordering it the mertailor offers a fine glitter coat which i think would help it look more opalescent. Also id love for the bronzy bits to be metallic

Also if i where to omit the white lines itd save me about $150... im considering it as in real life the white might would mute the color underneath.. idk

I like the white lines. $150 really isn't that much considering this is your dream tail and it's unlikely you would get another one. I think that it would be worth the wait to make it perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by MerPizza View Post
    I like the white lines. $150 really isn't that much considering this is your dream tail and it's unlikely you would get another one. I think that it would be worth the wait to make it perfect.
    Thats very true hahah, but as i said this is already a compromise for what i originally was wanting. It would have run me about $2800 instead of $1700 USD for this simplier design.. its not so much saving thats the problem rather its spending... i think i could bring myself to spend under 2k on a tail but over would be kinda hard seeing as im a broke college student that should be saving for my future lolol

Even out of college, that feeling never goes away! hahaha

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    You should look at PearlieMae's old posts and her new photos. She has MASTERED the art of including glitter in the silicone and getting it to cure. It gives the scales an unique shimmer and depth that no one else has really duplicated. I think what she's done is exactly what you're going for.
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    that is such a gorgeous color scheme
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

I'd personally add more yellow to lighten up the fluke. I love the semi-transparent look the flukes have when they're lighter than the tail body. It looks very fishy.

Other than that, good job making it simple but pretty. It's something that's easy to accessorize, but still beautiful on it's own.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    It’s lovely! Personally I think it would be good to get it shiny or glittery, if that’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Mmmk so im experimenting around a bit more... i increased the saturation a bit and i think i like it a bit more.. i also removed the white striping because i dont entirely love them anymore.. its beginning to stray away from the original moonstone concept but oh well hahah
    I also blended the orange into the teal with a bit of yellow which i think creates a nice rainbowish effect...
    Thoughts? Name:  Untitled-Artwork.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  32.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    I'd personally add more yellow to lighten up the fluke. I love the semi-transparent look the flukes have when they're lighter than the tail body. It looks very fishy.

Other than that, good job making it simple but pretty. It's something that's easy to accessorize, but still beautiful on it's own.
    I tried out what you suggested and it ended up kinda muddying everything.. not sure why though .. i also love that style of fluke coloring ♡

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    It’s lovely! Personally I think it would be good to get it shiny or glittery, if that’s an option.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    Oh yeah i want it to be as shimmery as possible..
    Im a slut for glitter hahah

Quote Originally Posted by inanna View Post
    that is such a gorgeous color scheme
    Thank you! ♡

Quote Originally Posted by lynsea View Post
    You should look at PearlieMae's old posts and her new photos. She has MASTERED the art of including glitter in the silicone and getting it to cure. It gives the scales an unique shimmer and depth that no one else has really duplicated. I think what she's done is exactly what you're going for.
    Im going to have it made by the mertailor (if i ever get the courage to bite the bullet and order it), i might try my hand at making my own top though so thanks ill definitely check it out