Thread: Critique my tail design?

Critique my tail design?

The time has come.
    I finally have enough money for a silicone tail! I’m just... I’m so happy. I’ve spent a long while considering tailmakers and ultimately decided on getting a Spellbound from Mertailor. I love the scales and flukes (and the price tag certainly helped too, hahaha).
    I’ve been working on this design for months while saving up, and I want to hear how you guys feel about it. I’m planning on becoming a professional and doing children’s parties; I don’t know if that’ll affect anyone’s opinions or not but I figured I’d put it out there.
    Anyway, here’s the drawing. Let me know what you think!

Name:  IMG_0478.JPG
Views: 225
Size:  11.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

First off, congrats Dragon! I'm really happy for you

Many designers break up the uniform colour with darker-coloured stripes and veined patterns along the fluke -- I'd do that to add more depth and variety. I like dorsal and hip fins as well, they're a great addition.

Really appreciate your good wishes too. All the best!
    Last edited by Ransom; 09-29-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I would try to add some depth. I love the color scheme, and it would look awesome both as you show it here, or as the hot red / purple with the secondary colors as "underlighting" on the scales.
    Do you plan on adding any extra fins? Some hip fins would help to round out your current design, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    First off, congrats Dragon! I'm really happy for you

Many designers break up the uniform colour with darker-coloured stripes and veined patterns along the fluke -- I'd do that to add more depth and variety. I like dorsal and hip fins as well, they're a great addition.

Really appreciate your good wishes too. All the best!
    Good idea! I’ll add “veins” to the fluke. I think keep them fairly light, as the actual fluke has a lot of depth on its own in the photographs on their website.
    I like dorsal fins too, but I’m a little worried about sitting on it. Like I mentioned, I plan on going professional, and that would entail some sitting in my tail. Maybe hip fins, though! I’ll have to mull it over.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSelkie View Post
    I would try to add some depth. I love the color scheme, and it would look awesome both as you show it here, or as the hot red / purple with the secondary colors as "underlighting" on the scales.
    Do you plan on adding any extra fins? Some hip fins would help to round out your current design, IMO.
    Thanks! The color scheme was inspired by the squarespot anthias, hence the pink splotch on the hip.
    Unfortunately, Mertailor doesn’t offer color accents for individual scales, but I like the idea!
    As for hip fins, I’m considering it. If I do end up getting them, what color(s) would you guys recommend? The asymmetrical design of the tail body poses an interesting conundrum. Keep in mind that I can only have up to four colors.

Thanks for the feedback, both of you!

Mertailor does offer underlighting, which isn't an individual scale thing. his most recent tails have it.
    I would recommend one of the median colors on the fins, just to even out the color scheme.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    I like dorsal fins too, but I’m a little worried about sitting on it. Like I mentioned, I plan on going professional, and that would entail some sitting in my tail. Maybe hip fins, though! I’ll have to mull it over.
    I don't think sitting with a dorsal will be a problem, I've seen mers doing it in Spellbounds with no issues. Best to check with Mertailor himself to see what can and can't be done
    Last edited by Ransom; 09-30-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I think your tail is beautiful. The mix of colors is unique and eye catching. It's going to be lovely underwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Aerial Princess

Florida Springs Mermaid
    "You Can Swim With Us!"
    https://www.facebook.com/floridapods/

Tampa Bay Mermaid
    https://www.facebook.com/mermaidaerialprincess/

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSelkie View Post
    Mertailor does offer underlighting, which isn't an individual scale thing. his most recent tails have it.
    I would recommend one of the median colors on the fins, just to even out the color scheme.

I don’t think I know what you mean by “underlighting.” Could you elaborate please? I’m a little confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Aerial Princess View Post
    I think your tail is beautiful. The mix of colors is unique and eye catching. It's going to be lovely underwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you!

To explain the process a bit: they put a lighter color on the tail, then paint it over with a darker one on top so it only shows through between the scales. This makes it look like the scales are lit from beneath, or on the inside.

I really dig the colour you've chosen... I think you have really good taste in colours

Sent from my CPH1613 using Tapatalk