Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recreating the Mertailor Pirate Fluke. (For Personal Use Only).

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Oh yes, esp considering how expensive even the trials are o.o
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Wow, that looks awesome! Makes me feel jealous of all those lucky enough to try and make a silicone tail
    Your imagination is your only limit

Quote Originally Posted by Azurin Luna View Post
    Wow, that looks awesome! Makes me feel jealous of all those lucky enough to try and make a silicone tail
    Thank you! It took me years to build up the courage to get to the point where I felt confident to make my own tail and even just making the clay sculpt was nerve-raking! But what I learned to far from this experience is if you are patient, everything will turn out exactly as planned. I am a very impatient person so I had to re-wire my brain to not think in terms of instant gratification/success and instead think of every failure as a path to it

I'm currently pouring the second half of my fluke and I just ordered some Finis long fins which are what Eric used to use in older tails. I'm not sure how reliable they'll be in comparison with a full size monofin, but I feel like with this fluke in particular, I want to retain as much movement as possible and avoid the fluke looking rigid underwater. I think long fins will give that effect while still providing adequate propulsion.

Also, I'm starting to look at color options! I downloaded and printed out some of the old Mertailor color sheets and this is one of the color designs I came up with:

[IMG]D4A51F40-50AD-4322-860A-437C7F34E686 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

The base is a dark turquoise with purple and pink accents. I'm trying really hard to stay away from the typical "ariel green tail", but it's also calling my name . We'll see what I lean towards once I finish the scale body and put it all together haha.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress!!!!
    Thank you for following! I just finished pulling the other half of my flukeout of the mold so I’m making some decent progress and can hopefully get his tail up and running soon

Hey guys, I'm finally back with some progress! So I finally glued the fluke haves together along with some modified Finis Long Fins in between

[IMG]66679B01-7C6F-42AA-883F-04C7BD47FF3F by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

The side seams were a bit messy but I'm sure that once I paint them it wont matter too much. [IMG]023DB2B1-4F0C-4F52-B07D-F6C8D5F7E5B0 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I also finally started working in the scale body which I will hopefully be able to knock out this weekend. I bought flat seashells and the plan was originally to make a full silicone, individual scale mold out of Mold-Star 16. Unfortunately, mold material got underneath the shells and was essentially unusable [IMG]41C5B049-0BB3-4E10-9FFD-B10539EC8A05 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I cut the least damaged square of scales out and I planned on attempting to use just this part until I decided to experiment with using it as a clay mold. I tested out some clay and out came a really pretty shell!

[IMG]192B8E27-9064-49CA-B36F-CF9CB850B18A by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

So far I've been molding all of the shells in the smallest and most clean shell mold in the silicone [IMG]CFA7A1C2-8F06-4F77-895D-95E87FFDB04A by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Currently I'm creating a scale sheet with all of the clay shells and it's turning out beautifully! [IMG]18566DEF-5ACD-4725-AFDA-D7362C0744A4 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I don't plan on doing a large scale sheet, (even though it is more efficient and cuts down on time), simply because I don't have much storage space and storing my big fluke mold was already a HUGE hassle. I think I may stop about halfway up my wood plank which is about up to my knees. My hope is that I can finish molding these scales and pouring the silicone by the end of this weekend to that after my Disney trip next weekend I can start the painting process! Overall, my goal is to have the tail finished and tested by the end of March and so far I'm on track.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MerRaeofSunshine View Post

Currently I'm creating a scale sheet with all of the clay shells and it's turning out beautifully! [IMG]18566DEF-5ACD-4725-AFDA-D7362C0744A4 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Ooo! I love the natural colors of the clay seashells!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Aren't they pretty? As I was making the clay shells I kept thinking about how nice they look! Makes me want to do a marble themed tail in the future

I can't wait to see it all done!
    It's coming along so beautifully!

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLillianna View Post
    I can't wait to see it all done!
    It's coming along so beautifully!
    Thank you! I’m excited to see the turn out as well! I’m surprised I made it this far haha

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Wowie! Those shells look so real!

That fluke is seriously well done. The seams probably will be almost invisible if you paint it, esp with a darker or very vivid color
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of Texas

Add LaNyah on Facebook
    A little late on this, but another product that will fill in mold errors/bubbles, etc is Smooth On's "Free Form Air"
    It's easy to use, starts out with the consistency of a marshmallow kinda, then dries like a rock.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Can't wait for more updates on this!!!

Same here! I can't wait to see how this turns out for you
    Dan/Danny || 17 || they/them

(Avatar by me (@red.lion.art))

Hey guys! I know it’s been a really long time since I’ve updated this thread but I’m finally back! Between work, school and the general hardships of life I hadn’t had time to work on this tail and so it ended up being put on the back burner. Now that I’m back in a better routine so now I can start to make some progress!

So starting off, I ended up changing some things around. The scale sheet I attempted to make previously ended up breaking apart and getting mold material underneath the clay scales. I threw it all away and ended up making it an individual scale sheet:

[IMG]756ACB74-8D64-4408-B980-82FAEC823C14 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

I molded about 100 scales so far and I’ll see how far that’ll take me in the mean time until I get more silicone.

[IMG]9C4FACA7-E5A3-4479-9204-93E2E82205E4 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by MerRaeofSunshine; 02-27-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Omg I'm so pleased I came across this thread. I love how you've dont the fluke and cant wait to see the finished tail. I really wanna make my own silicone tail too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

I also finally made my mesh body lining after avoiding it for months because i had to hand sew it
    It fits pretty snug and I made it long enough that I can add a nice blended waist

[IMG]45C213BF-C894-47D8-9187-9C92765F4B80 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]29444937-2319-4D5D-B2ED-49B0A16B422F by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]5EC256BC-7B51-4BDF-AE4D-655E41B47AE3 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Right now im working on sealing the inside of the mesh with silicone so i can begin laying down the scales when i get more dragonskin on payday.
    here it is next to the body double i made which it is currently mounted on:

[IMG]73C3C0E0-C136-4575-AD53-2D650530887E by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally, I ended up removing the Flippers I had originally planned to use in the fluke, and replacing them with a Mermaid Linden monofin. I felt like the flippers wouldn't provide enough propulsion in the end and I want to make sure I can swim safely and effectively in the tail. Here is a size comparison on the two different fins types:

[IMG]A9DDE2B1-87DA-4032-8C3C-A5DF93119CC2 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

That's all that I have for now! I will be getting more silicone next Thursday so I will make sure to update you guys as soon as I finish sealing the mesh and then laying down the scales! Also, do you think I should add additional fins anywhere? Let me know how you feel the design looks. To me, it feels a bit bland so I might end up carving up some ankle fins and possibly some hip fins.

Omg thank you so much for the kind words! It had been a tough experience, but also incredible rewarding! The things im learning can definitely help me in my future career prospects and it makes me feel proud that i will have something that i made instead of bought! (Though there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a tail. I plan to buy a finfolk in the future).