Thread: My cat chewed my Mahina

My cat chewed my Mahina

I have a women’s Mahina mono fin I have had it for a few months loved it such a beautiful and perfect fin. However last night my cat had his way with it and chewd off the tip of it. I’m so sad I’m not in the place atm to afford a new one and I’m sad. Is there a way to fix it? or send it back to be fixed? if so please let me know.

Sincerely a sad mermaid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I'm so sorry to hear about that! Cats can be very unpredictable Are you able to upload a few photos so we can see the damage? Perhaps just a trim to mitigate the damage could work until you can afford to replace it? You can also always try emailing the company. No guarantee that they can or will do anything but you may at least get some advice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Currently deciding on a color/design and saving up for my first tail!

My cat chewed my Mahina

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    Hey, I'm so sorry to hear about that! Cats can be very unpredictable Are you able to upload a few photos so we can see the damage? Perhaps just a trim to mitigate the damage could work until you can afford to replace it? You can also always try emailing the company. No guarantee that they can or will do anything but you may at least get some advice

I don’t know how to upload a pic on here it’s not bad to the point where it’s unusable but it’s noticeable and. I can’t trim it to much because my Swim tail fits it. I’m in love with the shape of it. However some people prefer it trimmed and will go and cut it that way I was thinking I may be able to resell it at half the price to someone who has plans to cut it then I may have money to buy a new one.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I hope the cat is ok!
    Swallowing plastic can kill a cat. Please keep a close eye on her and go see a vet if she shows signs of discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I hope the cat is ok!
    Swallowing plastic can kill a cat. Please keep a close eye on her and go see a vet if she shows signs of discomfort.
    It isn’t plastic it’s rubber with him I’m not to worried it was a very small piece and he will most likely poop it out tommorw. So far he’s shown no signs of feeling ill.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Perhaps you can weave the bits into your character?

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Quote Originally Posted by brynnwiens View Post
    I don’t know how to upload a pic on here it’s not bad to the point where it’s unusable but it’s noticeable and. I can’t trim it to much because my Swim tail fits it. I’m in love with the shape of it. However some people prefer it trimmed and will go and cut it that way I was thinking I may be able to resell it at half the price to someone who has plans to cut it then I may have money to buy a new one.

That's a very good idea! You may want to consider the Facebook groups "Buy, Sell & Trade a Tail: Mermaids! 2.0" as well as other mermaid B/S/T groups on Facebook. I bet you will sell it in a flash!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    Would Sugru be an appropriate repair material?

What is that made of? Silicone? If so then no, silicone only sticks to silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliPixie View Post
    What is that made of? Silicone? If so then no, silicone only sticks to silicone.

Sugru sticks to various materials.

It isn't super durable, though, so may not work in this application.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaSelkie View Post
    Sugru sticks to various materials.

It isn't super durable, though, so may not work in this application.
    It’s made of rubber it’s pretty durable when it comes to actual use but can be tears if you try to tear it on purpose. It’s not repairable because it’s made in a mold.

Quote Originally Posted by brynnwiens View Post
    It’s made of rubber it’s pretty durable when it comes to actual use but can be tears if you try to tear it on purpose. It’s not repairable because it’s made in a mold.

Sugru is made of silicone. The fin may be made of rubber. Not sure which you're referring to? I was referring to sugru.

Also, things made in a mold can be repaired by sculpting onto the object with a similar-weighted material. This is why Sugru was suggested. A small bit of sculpting skill and following the package directions, and you'd have a fixed tail. However, how long it would last would be dependent on the sugru, which is why I warned on the durability.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    As I understand from the descriptions, the damage seems to be the tip, and insofar not a massive load-bearing part of the fin, right? If so, and if you have the missing part, superglue, especially one specifically for rubber, could be an option for re-attaching the tip. It is strong enough to bond footpockets to monofin blades, so it should work there.

Otherwise, if there are missing parts, ChelseaSelkies suggestion of using Sugru to remodel those areas will most probably work.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    As I understand from the descriptions, the damage seems to be the tip, and insofar not a massive load-bearing part of the fin, right? If so, and if you have the missing part, superglue, especially one specifically for rubber, could be an option for re-attaching the tip. It is strong enough to bond footpockets to monofin blades, so it should work there.

Otherwise, if there are missing parts, ChelseaSelkies suggestion of using Sugru to remodel those areas will most probably work.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I don’t find the piece I’m assuming he ate it.