Thread: Possibly buying a neoprene

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar

Possibly buying a neoprene

It's getting colder, which means I probably won't be as inclined to use my fabric as much in non-heated pools or springs. So any suggestions where I can get a decent priced neoprene tail for the colder months?
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    FinFolk full neoprene tails are normally priced at $335 but they often have misprint ones for $250. They actually have some right now. Mertailor has neoprene tails for $295. But keep in mind that neither of these include monofins.

But I’ve never used a neoprene tail before so I can’t tell you how good they are in the cold, or how good the different brands are. But I have seen some FinFolk tails in action and they look pretty good, plus depending on the one you get they can be used with a variety of monofins. The Mertailor monofin is pretty pricey so unless you already own one, it won’t be the most cost effective option.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

You probably will get the same issues as we scuba divers have. You may need a weight belt. When I am not scuba diving, I use a 5.5mm suit with 2 kg weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    FinFolk full neoprene tails are normally priced at $335 but they often have misprint ones for $250. They actually have some right now. Mertailor has neoprene tails for $295. But keep in mind that neither of these include monofins.

But I’ve never used a neoprene tail before so I can’t tell you how good they are in the cold, or how good the different brands are. But I have seen some FinFolk tails in action and they look pretty good, plus depending on the one you get they can be used with a variety of monofins. The Mertailor monofin is pretty pricey so unless you already own one, it won’t be the most cost effective option.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    I just want to say as the owner of a finfolk neoprene tail, I REALLY want to get my hands on one of the mertailor's tails, monofin and all. The finfolk tail has that huge vinyl insert that causes a lot of drag and is sometimes difficult to get in. I'd rather not have to deal with one of those next time.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Yeah Jurassic Merman was telling me about Mertailor and I got to try his on. It was super warm, but apparently it takes a good while to actually get in the mail. He said it was 4-6 months.

Any hacks for staying warm in the springs? Like wearing leggings or something like that?

Wearing legging in your tail. Like the ones from Vancouver Mermaid!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Oh my god, I love Courtney's videos! I could give it a shot. I'm a total wimp in cold water.

I am used to swimming in cold water. When I swim, I swim hard so i get hot, even in cold water. And I like the refreshing-ness. I’d rather be cold than hot.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    Any hacks for staying warm in the springs? Like wearing leggings or something like that?
    You could always get the lower half of an actual wet suit, and wear a cloth tail over that. Then you have a wet suit as well.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    You could always get the lower half of an actual wet suit, and wear a cloth tail over that. Then you have a wet suit as well.
    I think there are freediving suits with pants only, not the long john style.
    Another option would be something like this: https://fourthelement.com/thermocline/
    They claim it to be equivalent to about 2mm neoprene without the added buoyancy.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The fourthelement leggings are interesting. I found that leggings help with my Spellbound tail, both in getting it on and reducing chafing when I swim. A little more insulation would be nice to have. I may be able to extend my ocean swim season.
    I wonder if the fabric used by fourthelement could be used to make a tail.
    They say its equivalent to 2 mm of neoprene. That would be in insulation capability. But does anyone know its actual thickness? If it's too thick, I would not be able to get my existing til over it.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I love how the mermen are the guys to suggest free-diving pants. I'll look into it! There's a diving shop near where I live!