Thread: Cosplay By Yaya Han Metallic Textured Scales Fabric

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar

Cosplay By Yaya Han Metallic Textured Scales Fabric

So while looking through Joann's Halloween Fabric I found a really interesting fabric by Yaya Han
    its textured scales that comes in gold and silver.
    Id post pictures but no matter how much I resize them mernetwork won't let me post them
    but here's the link
    Silver
    https://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yay.../16009342.html

Gold
    https://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yay.../16009318.html

the fabrics are really pretty and I think could make great tails
    Idk if they would hold up underwater so I'm not sure if they would work for swimming but as costumes or even dry events they could look great.
    my only issue is they only come in silver and gold. I wonder if you could paint it?
    it had the feel of like vinyl or leather or something so maybe but idk

what do you guys think?
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Sadly Mernetwork had to do away with hosting photos, it was clogging up too much of the site space! That's why they didn't work. A trick for it is to type:
    [IMG ] put pic link here [/ IMG]
    without the spaces to get it to show up But with this one because the images is zoomable it won't work for me, but usually that's a good work around!

The fabric itself looks really nice. More of a realistic scale look to it. Good find! I do find the metallic fabrics hit or miss. I tried a few different ones for kid's tails and the shiny part tends to rub off reallllly quickly in some brands, and not in others. Someone will have to test it out!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Wow, that looks really cool! If they made it in black it would be perfect for the tail I want to make!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

as they are fake leader and have no stretch, you can't use is it as base for a tailskin.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    as they are fake leader and have no stretch, you can't use is it as base for a tailskin.
    Oh, bummer. A stretchy, textured fabric would make for a great mermaid tail base.

Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    There's also a hidden allergy risk with these fabrics as well unfortunately...

Almost all of Yaya's line has a chemical in them intended to preserve color (although the shiny metallic fabric is notorious for rubbing off to its base silver fabric), however since its release into the market there was a rather severe outbreak of skin rashes among the cosplaying community who attempted to use the fabric for their costumes, and absorbed the chemical when it was released via sweat. One girl was hospitalized with a really bad reaction by it.

The other thing is the fabric is ridiculously overpriced for its quality - you'd find an easier time of it using the more established scale fabrics that are not only stretchy, but far safer and better priced than the sticky junk fabric darkening store shelves. :C

As a cosplayer and maker, I second Ocoree's comment. It's really poor quality fabric for the insane price tag. Please don't buy Yaya's fabric and risk the nasty skin irritation, I've had two friends that have broken out due to what ever chemical they treat Yaya's fabric with. As an alternative consider sites like spoon flower, fabrics(dot)com and spandex world for scale pattern fabric. At Spoon flower you can choose what fabric you would like the design to be printed on.

They are dryclean only too.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
    As a cosplayer and maker, I second Ocoree's comment. It's really poor quality fabric for the insane price tag. Please don't buy Yaya's fabric and risk the nasty skin irritation, I've had two friends that have broken out due to what ever chemical they treat Yaya's fabric with. As an alternative consider sites like spoon flower, fabrics(dot)com and spandex world for scale pattern fabric. At Spoon flower you can choose what fabric you would like the design to be printed on.
    I... actually know the nature of the chemical they use in it... and what else it's also used for, and needless to say it has no business being in fabric intended for clothing on any body. I initially tried to push people away from it when I discovered this, but got yelled at by management for not promoting a sponsored product.. These days all I can do to mitigate the risk is urge people to at least put a liner between their skin and the fabric if it's going to be a major component of their costume.

Spoonflower I've heard good things about as well for their custom work.

It says not to let it get in contact with chlorine either so that rules out using it in pools.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

oh sh!t good point. Well that's too bad :/

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    I had heard a few things about Yaya Han's Fabrics but I didn't know it was that extensive. Believe me, I'm not a fan of the women so I have no issues with not giving her my money
    it is too bad though, cause the fabrics are textured and very realistic looking and feeling.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...