Thread: How long does a Finfolk Fabric Tail last?

How long does a Finfolk Fabric Tail last?

The new Finfolk fall line is gorgeous! I was partial to the All Hallow’s Eve Tail at first, but now I’m in love with the Oracle tail! I want to get it (I’m listing a ton of reasons why I should or shouldn’t spend $335 right now) but I want to know from people who have had Finfolk Tails how long the fabric tails typically have lasted for them. If you could list how many times you swam in that tail and what you’ve done to preserve your tail, I’d love to hear them and it’d be really appreciated! Hope I get the courage to jump from a Sun Tails Exclusive mermaid to a more realistic mermaid!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    So each generation seems to have it's own pros and cons.

With the first gen, they didn't find the colors came out as vibrant as they wanted, there were drainage issues, and zipper issues.

With the second gen, all those issues were addressed, but it seems like the supplier switched their neoprene on them. It was only supposed to be a different base color to help make colors pop but it seems like it went down in quality.

I do expect this new line, third gen. Will be better. Each time they improve based on feedback. But if you're hesitant you may want to wait until some people get their tails and see.

My second gen... hasn't lasted. It's a beautiful tail and not everyone has had an experience like mine, but the first time I used it I wore it on grass for a quick photo shoot. It stained the back of the fluke almost instantly, and started to get tiny tears. The second time I wore it I sat on sand. It wasn't the super fine sand but the tiny pebbly sand. I didn't move around at all and I know how to baby a tail obviously, but I got more tears. So I took it home and tried to assess the damage and it reminds me a bit of like, grainy cardboard damage? It's hard to explain...

Every time I use it, it gets worse. I have tried to fix it but the material doesn't behave like normal neoprene. The best I could do was seal off the rips with silicone glue and I ordered some paint. but I think I am going to just eventually sequin the whole tail. But I can't really sew it, it's almost foamy? it's so hard to explain... but here's a pic:

Since then I've used it for a parade and it didn't rip anymore, but it did stain again. I wash it but it is really easily turned dark. Then I did a photo shoot on rocks and had my husband lift the fluke for me each time so it wouldn't scrape but literally any time I let it touch the rocks it scraped.

I used it again in a river for a photo shoot and it was fine, but it did stain again.

So here's what I think in summary.

1) Not everyone has had experiences like mine, but I do wish I had waited to see other's experience before buying. I would have waited for this gen
    2) I bought this tail to use for photo shoots and parades. Even with the damage I can still do that, but I think it be better suited to pool only with careful consideration to not scrape the bottom.
    3) I like the tail enough and the design enough that I'll probably still buy another tail from them in future

I am disappointed it damaged so easily, but I will say, I went into this with an open mind understanding that when you support a company in this type of stage there are certain risks involved. So I have no ill-will toward the team. Honestly, I probably could of gotten a refund or exchange if I wanted, but for me being in Canada shipping it here and custom fees were such a hassle, I don't wanna go through it again lol.

I am just going to make the most of it.

This is incredibly helpful! I’m sorry that your tail got torn up so fast. I’ll make sure to wait as much as I can for more replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren Sappho View Post
    This is incredibly helpful! I’m sorry that your tail got torn up so fast. I’ll make sure to wait as much as I can for more replies.
    I ordered the all hallows eve tail yesterday! I can’t wait for it to get here I’ll share pics when I get it. I’d also love to buy the legging and sports bra to wear with it. But gotta wait till I save more money! I’ll also update you after the first swim to tell you how it goes. I expect a good wait time till I get it!

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app

Oh, yeah, I’ve been debating really hard whether to buy a full tail or just get the Oracle leggings. The leggings would be more comfortable to me price-wise since I’m a college student who is trying to limit how much I buy, but I don’t want to just settle for less, you know? I settled for less the end of the summer when I saved up for a SwimTails Betta Tail and my parents convinced me it was too big a purchase right now, so I bought another Suntails color, but I’m not nearly as happy with it as I hoped so I don’t want to regret not buying it when I had the chance. But yeah, that’s really awesome and I hope you enjoy it! Thanks!

I got the Oracle Tail! I’m going to really take care of my tail and make sure I’m gentle with it! Wish me luck!