Thread: Advice on breaking into professional market?

Advice on breaking into professional market?

Hey mer's! My name is Jessie, aka Whiplash.
    I am a professional aerialist and hobbying free diver. I usually dive with a monofin so I my dolphin kick is well practiced.
    I am currently grounded from the air with an injury and am looking into professional mermaiding to get some work over the Summer season here in Aus.
    Does anyone have any tips (other than buy a nice tail haha) to breaking into the market and successfully marketing yourself as a mermaid?

Super appreciated, TIA <3

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I would definitely check out Raina Mermaid's series on YouTube. It is packed full of infomation about getting into the "Fishy Business". I have personally watch the videos several times.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rcbDs25GArBhEk

Some things to think about, of course, are like you said your tail. (I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into a silicone tail because they are pricey and there are some pretty realistic fabric tails on the market now.) That being said, think about things that would set you apart from other mermaid's or party services for that matter.

I don't have that much experience with marketing, but from my work in business projects, you have to set yourself apart. Also remember that you are going to be a mermaid and depending on the area you might not have competition. I know many people where I live don't even know about mermaiding. So my best advice to you is to just spread the word. Social media is a great platform to do this especially if you create a Facebook business page.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Thank you so much! Really good advice. I am covered in tattoos and have a more alternative look so I was thinking about being a dark mermaid or an alternative Ariel. Also aiming my services towards organizations like Sea Shepherd and being a badass 'warrior for the seas' mermaid.

The best tail I've found for a decent price is the Swimtails Betta skin but if you have any other suggestions please let me know

A finfolk fabric tail may be good for your first tail, seeing that you are a free diver and all. Then you might upgrade to silicone. I like mernation’s silicone lines (there are 3)

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    Thank you so much! Really good advice. I am covered in tattoos and have a more alternative look so I was thinking about being a dark mermaid or an alternative Ariel. Also aiming my services towards organizations like Sea Shepherd and being a badass 'warrior for the seas' mermaid.

The best tail I've found for a decent price is the Swimtails Betta skin but if you have any other suggestions please let me know
    I think Swimtails Betta skins would be a great place to start. And if you are planning on investing that that much, give Finfolk's fabric line a look too. They just released their fall line.

Sent from my ShellPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Thanks so much for suggesting my resources!

I have everything compiled for new mers on my website here: www.mermaidraina.com there are a bunch of helpful blogs, all the videos, a free online safety course, and links to my books.

Good luck! I know it can be overwhelming.