Thread: First time fabric tail making - draw around your own outline or tedious measurements?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+

First time fabric tail making - draw around your own outline or tedious measurements?

So mer-husband has enjoyed having his first tail so much that he's worn some bits of it quite away! The monofin is okay though, so we figure that we'll take the plunge and make a fabric replacement for his 2tails skin.

One question though, from this mer, who is not one of nature's sew-ers...

It doesn't seem to be the done thing just to lay on a piece of paper and draw around one's outline for the pattern?

It's all measuring yourself around every two inches and drawing an outline from that? Is that better?

(yes I'm lazy, but if it's a markedly better fit afterwards I'll do it that way :-) )

Fortunately while we faff around with this we can use our Swimtails Pros. And maybe with the skills acquired can do something else a bit more adventurous for the Mahina Merfins.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    It's a thought, but it's a bit saggy on him.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    The way which worked for me was sticking a stretch of painter's tape down my side, marking the measurement points and the measured ciecumference at that height on the tape, then sticking the strip on a long piece of paper and use it as the centerline of my pattern. The measured circumferences need to be halved, of course, but otherwise it was a little connect-the-dots. Worked pretty well for me. Eased a lot the hassle of transferring the heights of the measures. The monofin shape I just traced around. Add a little seams allowage for cutting, sew down the marked, measured outline, and voilá.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Thank you, it's looking like it's the preferred method.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Sorry, didn't want to sound like a know-it-all, just the trick with the painter's tape was so great when I came across it, then I got carried away when writing...

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Nothing wrong with tracing oneself on a piece of paper. I did that for the first two tails I'd made before I made a paper pattern of myself.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Input from experienced mers is what I'm after Merman Oliver, so yours is the sort of input I am after, thanks, definitely no need to apologize!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Okay, Jaffa, but you did eventually go the other method. Did you find it made for a better fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Merleece View Post
    Okay, Jaffa, but you did eventually go the other method. Did you find it made for a better fit?
    Yes. It fits just right.

I use banner papet. i lay down on it and have my husband trace from my waist to my ankles and around the monofin that i want to use for the tail. i lay that down and lay my feet on top of it so we get a fairly accurate measurement. good luck with the ne w tail skin!

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Yes. It fits just right.
    Cool! Okay, I'm leaning that way right now - thank you for everyone's help.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    I use banner papet. i lay down on it and have my husband trace from my waist to my ankles and around the monofin that i want to use for the tail. i lay that down and lay my feet on top of it so we get a fairly accurate measurement. good luck with the ne w tail skin!

Good to know it works pretty well, if I get impatient or tired on the day we set down to do it, we might end up doing it this way.

Good good. It is better to have a paper pattern than tracing oneself each time you want to make a new tail. With it, you can focus on other things like designing the fluke, fins, color choices etc. And you know when you finally sew it all together that it will fit perfectly.

With tracing yourself, you have to keep the pen at straight vertical, if you stray off the angle, the tail will be too tight in that place.

Another benefit to paper pattern is, that you can make new tails without needing him around...
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 11-23-2018 at 05:12 PM.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Good good. It is better to have a paper pattern than tracing oneself each time you want to make a new tail. With it, you can focus on other things like designing the fluke, fins, color choices etc. And you know when you finally sew it all together that it will fit perfectly.

With tracing yourself, you have to keep the pen at straight vertical, if you stray off the angle, the tail will be too tight in that place.

Another benefit to paper pattern is, that you can make new tails without needing him around...
    Haha, other way around, he's the whizz with needle and thread around here!