Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Mertailor Fabric Tails Thread

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Thanks for all the info in this thread - am currently looking at getting a mertailor tail or two, so found the thread very useful .

I'm thinking of getting a fantasea tail/fantasea fin, and I was just wondering, does it make much difference what coloured fin you get to go in the tail? (Just wondering if I should try and get one that matches with the pattern of the tail, or if it's not really visible?)

I'm also thinking of getting a guppy tail to go with a linden monofin as well, and I've noticed that my favourite pattern ('sea gem') is available as a guppy tail and a fantasea tail. From reading above, it sounds like you can't swap the fins between the tails, so now I'm torn between if I should get sea gem for both, or just one and a different pattern for the other - to many choices!

I'm trying to figure out my sizing for a whimsy tail because I have weird dimensions. I've heard they have crazy stretch. 34" waist (this is above my bellybutton but I'm 5'3 so everything ends up hitting me here), 50" hip, 40" foot to waist (to the 34" area). No clue what size to get. I've never bought a scuba knit tail, please help! Thank you lovely merpeople <3
    ~Vixie~

So I got the pixie lagoon tail and was able to take it for a swim. I was expecting drag from all the extra fins but I didn't feel anything so that was cool. The tail almost goes invisible in the water though if you're swimming in a pool at dusk when it's also overcast.

Quote Originally Posted by seavixie View Post
    I'm trying to figure out my sizing for a whimsy tail because I have weird dimensions. I've heard they have crazy stretch. 34" waist (this is above my bellybutton but I'm 5'3 so everything ends up hitting me here), 50" hip, 40" foot to waist (to the 34" area). No clue what size to get. I've never bought a scuba knit tail, please help! Thank you lovely merpeople <3
    I'd send an email to the mertailor team and see what they suggest. I know if you size up having tails taken into a seamstress is usually pretty affordable, but these tails also have a lot of stretch so it's hard to say if that's even necessary.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Just reminding folks I have a 10% off discount if you didn't know, for fabric products. RAINA10. I got some pics of ma new tails here...

Copper Mint

Lionfish

The new monofin:

Custom tail:

custom

Deep Sea Betta

A bunch

Can someone speak to sizing with the Guppy tail? I'm thinking of getting one for my birthday and the only measurements to go off of are waist and waist-to-floor. Around my waist is 26"/27" (depending on if I've eaten recently lol) and waist-to-floor is 41". According to the waist I should go for an XS, but for the right length I'd have to go up to an L. I'm only 5'6, so I didn't expect to have that conflict. Am I just gonna have to take it in? I can sew, but I suck at tailoring lol.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    At first I thought you might have measured the waist to floor badly, but as a fraction of your height, your measurement is the same as mine.
    I don't know about the Guppy, but I do know a too short tail is much harder to fix than a too wide tail. Also, short ones pull off your rear when you bend at the waist for a sharp turn.
    You may want to ask Mertailor for advice, and if there is a return policy if you buy the XS and find it is too short. If you can return it, buy the XS, see if it fits. If it does: Done! otherwise swap it for the larger one and sew it.
    Also: Mertailor seems to have a very poor grasp of the size and shape of the human body.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Better to size up than size down for a tail. Its way easier to fix a big tail than one that is too small.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    At first I thought you might have measured the waist to floor badly, but as a fraction of your height, your measurement is the same as mine.
    I don't know about the Guppy, but I do know a too short tail is much harder to fix than a too wide tail. Also, short ones pull off your rear when you bend at the waist for a sharp turn.
    You may want to ask Mertailor for advice, and if there is a return policy if you buy the XS and find it is too short. If you can return it, buy the XS, see if it fits. If it does: Done! otherwise swap it for the larger one and sew it.
    Also: Mertailor seems to have a very poor grasp of the size and shape of the human body.
    LOL, I think it's a problem with a lot of pre-sized tails unfortunately. I've got a 12" difference from waist to hips too so I'll probably go ahead and email Mertailor to see what they advise. Based on that I might be better off with an M or an L and taking it in. Thank you both for the input!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Wait, your hip is 28" from the floor? In that case the XS size may well work for you. It is sized for 34" to 37", so there should be 6 to 9 inches of fabric above your hip. That should keep it in place.

Note: Early on when I started this hobby I wondered: What keeps a tail on? The fabric is stretched, and wants to contract. One way it can do so is to slide down your legs. Why does it not? Because of the part of the tail above your hip. To contract, that part wants to go up. The result is you have a fight between the part above your hip and the part below. To insure the part above wins, you want to build in more stretch in the part above your hip, like 20% to 30%. The part below your hip should only be stretched 10% to 15%. Most all fabric tails are built in that way.

If you get the XS and find it sometimes pulls down, you can fix it by taking in just a bit in the part of the tail that is above your hip. Or you can do what I do when I get a new cloth tail: Sew in a 2" wide strip of elastic at the waist line.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Ack, no, sorry for the confusion! My waistline is 41" from the floor. I meant that around my waist is 26" but around my hips is 38" so there is a lot of stretch there necessary to keep it up over my hips and tight around my waist. I have a self-made tail (in my profile pic) and I definitely learned with that one that I want an elastic around the waist to keep it in place lol.

https://i.imgur.com/T9vkTCT.png Here's the response I got from Mertailor's customer service. I'm still pretty uncertain about the length being long enough lol. I'm still tempted to at least size up to an S to be sure... dunno yet!