Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 101 to 111 of 111

Thread: Mertailor Fabric Tails Thread

  1. #101
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,537
    woop woop finally up thanks to Sean's hard work! My review of my Mertailor Fantasea 3

  2. #102
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,537
    For anyone interested here's a montage of my experiences in the Fantasea 3! I have a review on this on my channel, but sometimes it's nice to just see the swim without commentary and judge for yourself. Very fast monofin! Showing it in ocean, fresh, and pool water.

  3. #103
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    132
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    I ordered the new Patina tail when he posted it back in June. It should be shipping any day now (at least according to the 5-6 weeks that it said when I ordered). I'm so freakin excited! After all of the health issues and hospital stays I've had lately, I'm really looking forward to something new and pretty in my life!

  4. #104
    I finally got my 3 and I gotta say, I feel like people tend to overstate the propulsion on the Fantasea fins in their reviews. Especially since the Finis Foil gets a lot of flack for not having enough propulsion. The foil was the first monofin I've ever had and I used it in my finfolk fabric. A lot of people asked me "how can you even swim like that?" because the finfolk tails have a lot of drag and the foil is so small.

    But my fantasea 3 feels about the same as a finfolk fabric with a foil, and that's without one of mertailor's tail skins. It's something I'm willing to get used to because I'd like to have a silicone tail one day, but I was expecting more of a kick with all of the praise it's been getting.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

  5. #105
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,537
    Really? Im surprised! I would rate the 1 and 2 on par with foil. The 3 really gave me a lot of push but for me I am a really floaty mermaid, and the 3 sinks more, so I think the fact it evens out my buoyancy is part of why I feel there's so much more push- because usually I deal with more drag due to my float. I think a person's personal buoyancy plays a role in the amount of push/drag a person has too. For me the 3 was like night and day compared with a foil or even the 1 or 2. Especially when I used them in the ocean.

  6. #106
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    845
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    I finally got my 3 and I gotta say, I feel like people tend to overstate the propulsion on the Fantasea fins in their reviews. Especially since the Finis Foil gets a lot of flack for not having enough propulsion. The foil was the first monofin I've ever had and I used it in my finfolk fabric. A lot of people asked me "how can you even swim like that?" because the finfolk tails have a lot of drag and the foil is so small.

    But my fantasea 3 feels about the same as a finfolk fabric with a foil, and that's without one of mertailor's tail skins. It's something I'm willing to get used to because I'd like to have a silicone tail one day, but I was expecting more of a kick with all of the praise it's been getting.
    To be fair the site does say it isn't for 'speed demons' but I am very satisfied with the Fantasea's power compared to other fins I have tried (FF, Mahina, Suntails, so not much). Drag gets worse with the more accessory fins you add ( or if you wear a rashguard when you're outside like me). I have a tail with side fins and the drag compared to a normal tail is very noticable BUT if I adjust the way I swim and know I am not
    going to go zooming around then I am ok. I do notice drag easily tho, I hate the feeling of struggling to move forward.

    I feel like for these tails you have to sacrifice some speed for the stunning art and natural movements of Eric's tail which I am very ok with.



  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Really? Im surprised! I would rate the 1 and 2 on par with foil. The 3 really gave me a lot of push but for me I am a really floaty mermaid, and the 3 sinks more, so I think the fact it evens out my buoyancy is part of why I feel there's so much more push- because usually I deal with more drag due to my float. I think a person's personal buoyancy plays a role in the amount of push/drag a person has too. For me the 3 was like night and day compared with a foil or even the 1 or 2. Especially when I used them in the ocean.
    I got to try the 1 and it has LESS propulsion than my foil did. I never tried the 2 but I imagine it's really not much better for propulsion either. The fins are either too small and floppy to get you anywhere or too big and floppy and give you drag. I'm okay with it, and willing to sacrifice speed for beauty. But all of the community reviews on the fantasea fins are insanely misleading. They aren't built for propulsion at all.

    @Trade Winds I don't use my fantasea fin in a tail yet. I imagine added fins would only slow it down even more. I'm glad Mertailor himself is clear on what the monofin is like, but I was talking about the people who buy and review his monofins. Both Raina and Courtney Mermaid praised the fantasea fins for their propulsion, which, I guess to be fair Raina IS a floaty mer and Courtney Mermaid already prefers swimming in the finis Luna so maybe for them it is? But like I said, even on it's own without a skin or extra fins, I was getting about the SAME propulsion as a finis foil WITH a finfolk fabric tail. Which is traditionally criticized as being hard to swim in. (The Foil without any kind of tail is an excellent monofin, I don't understand why it gets so much flack.)

    I can live with it. I don't feel like I'm going to drown with all the drag. I'm not much of a speed demon because I am a very slow swimmer as it is if I don't have any kind of fin at all. It's just that I'm starting to notice how misleading community reviews are, and I'm gonna have to start taking them all with a grain of salt.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

  8. #108
    I ordered the fin 3 and tail skin so when I get it I'm gonna have a good swim and see what I think

    Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app

  9. #109
    Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    132
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    I get to try out my Fantasea (original) and tail this weekend, so I guess I'll get to see the difference soon. I know it's not going to be anywhere near the propulsion of my Hydra though

  10. #110
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    14,537
    well a silicone monofin isnt going to have the push a fiberglass one is

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    well a silicone monofin isnt going to have the push a fiberglass one is
    Okay, I feel like you're missing my point now.

    You're a big name in the mermaiding community, and I'm a relatively new mermaid, all things considered. I look to reviewers like you for information before buying something. So when you're praising something for the amount of propulsion it has, someone like me is going to go into it expecting it to have a fair amount of push at least. And it didn't. In fact I found it on the same level as a tail/monofin combination that gets a lot of criticism. Which is why I'm pointing out that I feel like reviewers, not Eric or anyone else from Mertailor, are overstating the propulsion of this monofin. Do you get where I'm coming from?

    Also the finis foil is rubber, not fiberglass.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •