Thread: Waterproof Makeup Tips & Tutorials for Gothic & Alternative Mermaids & Mermen ♥

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes The Magic Crafter's Avatar
    Follow The Magic Crafter On Twitter Add The Magic Crafter on Facebook Add The Magic Crafter on Google+
    Visit The Magic Crafter's Youtube Channel

Waterproof Makeup Tips & Tutorials for Gothic & Alternative Mermaids & Mermen ♥

LET'S GET CREEPY!
    I am a Goth Mermaid. Devil May Cry is my jam... And I am 100% not ashamed of that! Hehehe!
    I know there are more of you Devil-Fish out there, so here is a quick tutorial that will teach you how I do my makeup for Mermaid/Siren work... since I have people asking about my makeup all of the time! ♥ Please don't hesitate to share your favorite products, tips & tricks, Goth inspiration, videos, pics, ect. We creeps have got to stick together! ♥

PART 1: CREATING FLAWLESS SKIN

PART 2: BASIC EYE SHADOW, EYELINER AND LIPSTICK

TIPS AND THINGS TO REMEMBER:
    1. Take care of your skin! (Use sunblock, moisturize as needed, use masks, eat healthy, ect. ect.)
    2. Use a face primer... especially during events that will cause you to sweat!
    3. Use eyelid primer before applying eye-shadow if you want it to stay put.
    4. Avoid putting eye-makeup under your eyes if you have a saggy lower lid and are using this tutorial. It will smudge over time. (works fine for dry-land events with eyelid primer though!)
    5. Set your lipstick with a setting powder (see end of video 2) and use metallic eye shadow for highlights... if you want. You can also add black eyeshadow over a lighter lipstick, once it is set, to give it a Gothic edge. (DO NOT LICK YOUR LIPS IF YOU PUT EYE SHADOW ON THEM!!!)
    6. Do. Not. Touch. Your. FACE!!!!!
    7. Experiment and have fun. I do this on a regular basis. Sometimes I look like a sultry siren...as shown in the video HERE. And sometimes I look like a shipwreck... which can be seen HERE. Have fun and laugh off the mistakes! ♥

Please post your tips, favorite products, pictures and video below so we Goth/Alternative Merms can help one another and inspire each other!

Stay spooky. ♥

XOXO- Mermaid Phantom
    New YouTube Videos Every Week!!
    I can be found at www.TheMagicCrafter.com

This is my tail!
    ~*~ Please call me "Phantom!" ~*~

Member Euro Pod
    very helpful!

Follow The Magic Crafter On Twitter Add The Magic Crafter on Facebook Add The Magic Crafter on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ocean View Post
    very helpful!
    I'm happy to hear it! Best of luck to you! ♥

This is my tail!

Not a goth mermaid but this stuff here has held my cheap drugstore makeup from target in place during swims. I don't even own any primer and it has held powdered highlighter, bronzer and eyeshadow in place, not to mention my foundation, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil. My makeup collection is rather lackluster but this stuff helped a lot.

The only downside is that it smells like feet when you first spray it.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Not a goth mermaid but this stuff here has held my cheap drugstore makeup from target in place during swims. I don't even own any primer and it has held powdered highlighter, bronzer and eyeshadow in place, not to mention my foundation, eyeliner and eyebrow pencil. My makeup collection is rather lackluster but this stuff helped a lot.

The only downside is that it smells like feet when you first spray it.
    Oh lordy! That "smells like feet" part got to me!
    Thank you for the tip! I've been curious about setting sprays, but have never used them before. It seems like it would be worth checking out! ♥

This is my tail!

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Crafter View Post
    LET'S GET CREEPY!
    I am a Goth Mermaid. Devil May Cry is my jam... And I am 100% not ashamed of that! Hehehe!
    I know there are more of you Devil-Fish out there, so here is a quick tutorial that will teach you how I do my makeup for Mermaid/Siren work... since I have people asking about my makeup all of the time! Please don't hesitate to share your favorite products, tips & tricks, Goth inspiration, videos, pics, ect. We creeps have got to stick together!

PART 1: CREATING FLAWLESS SKIN

PART 2: BASIC EYE SHADOW, EYELINER AND LIPSTICK

TIPS AND THINGS TO REMEMBER:
    1. Take care of your skin! (Use sunblock, moisturize as needed, use masks, eat healthy, ect. ect.)
    2. Use a face primer... especially during events that will cause you to sweat!
    3. Use eyelid primer before applying eye-shadow if you want it to stay put.
    4. Avoid putting eye-makeup under your eyes if you have a saggy lower lid and are using this tutorial. It will smudge over time. (works fine for dry-land events with eyelid primer though!)
    5. Set your lipstick with a setting powder (see end of video 2) and use metallic eye shadow for highlights... if you want. You can also add black eyeshadow over a lighter lipstick, once it is set, to give it a Gothic edge. (DO NOT LICK YOUR LIPS IF YOU PUT EYE SHADOW ON THEM!!!)
    6. Do. Not. Touch. Your. FACE!!!!!
    7. Experiment and have fun. I do this on a regular basis. Sometimes I look like a sultry siren...as shown in the video HERE. And sometimes I look like a shipwreck... which can be seen HERE. Have fun and laugh off the mistakes!

Please post your tips, favorite products, pictures and video below so we Goth/Alternative Merms can help one another and inspire each other!

Stay spooky.

XOXO- Mermaid Phantom
    My boyfriend is getting me some of the make up you recommend for Christmas lol he really wanted to buy me make up for some reason lol

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Texas MermaidSaph's Avatar
    Follow MermaidSaph On Twitter
    Follow MermaidSaph on Tumblr Visit MermaidSaph's Youtube Channel
    Hey, goth merfolk unite!! Awesome post, this'll be super helpful in the future!
    Kitvin ☆ they/them ☆ he/him

I will fear not my death or destiny
    Because death fears me
    I'm not afraid to stand up
    Fists up
    Never gonna give up
    I'm lightning, no fear, just adrenaline
    ~
    What kind of scars will you leave?
    What kind of blood will you bleed?
    When fear sets the stage for defeat
    What will your legacy be?

Does anybody have a certain eyeliner brand that will stay on during a swim. Have tried quite a few different waterproof eyeliners and have been so disappointed.

On the drugstore end I like Wet n Wild's h2o proof liner for $4, and a bit on the pricier side is Stila's waterproof pen for $22.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

I have yet to try those two, so I'll be putting them on my shopping list. Thanks

I used Cargo eyeliner last summer and it worked really well, but the All Nighter setting spray posted earlier will work magic on regular cheap makeup. I'd recommend saving your money by not buying the special waterproof makeup and just investing your money into the setting spray that'll let you use makeup you already have.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I've never tried setting spray, but I'll give it a try