Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tidelands (Netflix)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    It's more beautiful!

I started watching this today and wanted to come onto the forum and check if anyone had anything to say about it yet. I'm so glad to see some of the community enjoying it as much as I do. I think it's a refreshing series and a nice change up from Siren. I definitely like the atmosphere and mystery surrounding Calliopes birth, I hope we see more of the mermaids in the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I've managed to watch a few more episodes of Tidelands and I thought I would come on here to give an update on what I thought

(Spoilers ahead)

I definitely find the way the Sirens are portrayed intriguing as it's an interesting change up from your usual goody two shoes characters, I think that making them rather uncaring of their offspring gives them an alien, unknown feel, more like they embody the harsher aspects of the ocean and it's ferocity. Only being able to call them to the beach by a blood sacrifice ( and then only for her to glance at them before losing interest and diving back into the sea) makes them seem more like the elusive creatures of Greek mythology rather than your friendly neighborhood mermaid. Their indifferent to the tidelanders as far as I've seen and that makes them a dangerous, mysterious predatory presence in the waters around Orpeilin bay. Now the Sirens being the reason I watch this show because I love a good grisly creature feature. I do have two things that put me off this show a bit Firstly, Augie ( Cal's brother) has no real reason to have any contact with the tidelanders other than sex and buying their mysterious drug barrels ( drugs Which they produce how?) most of the characters connections to one another aren't really fueled by any real connection other than sex, it's a bit annoying when they use sex as a way to add narrative to an otherwise shallow relationship Don't get me wrong I don't mind the scenes, they just don't make sense in the real world, ( and yes I know it's fantasy) unless of course orpeilin bay only produces sex freaks lol. Anyway thanks for reading this far if you made it through my very early morning sleepy rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this thread is really old now. But I just had to come and say I watched this series recently and I thought it was really good.

Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Adrielle is so gorgeous! <3

Are there any actual mermaids in this series though?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by she11sea View Post
    Are there any actual mermaids in this series though?
    No fish tail ones. More like Aquaman type of merms.
    Formerly known as ireneho