Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FinFun AMP Monofin

FinFun AMP Monofin

So recently I ordered a FinFun mermaid tail and the newest monofin, they even arrived early. Went to put on the tail and it fit perfectly, the monofin on the other hand... The fabric was so tight that I struggled for half an hour to squeeze my feet in, so in the mean time to stretch out the fabric a bit I’ve been doing it redneck style.

Anyone know any better ways though?
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Have you tried wetting the fin first? Or maybe some lube on the feet?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lily Dewdrop View Post
    So recently I ordered a FinFun mermaid tail and the newest monofin, they even arrived early. Went to put on the tail and it fit perfectly, the monofin on the other hand... The fabric was so tight that I struggled for half an hour to squeeze my feet in, so in the mean time to stretch out the fabric a bit I’ve been doing it redneck style.

Anyone know any better ways though?
    I recently got the AMP too and I would have to agree with you, the fabric is very tight. It took me quite a while to put on. I recommend swimming with it for a few minutes once you manage to get it on. It may stretch out the monofin cover a bit (but not too much).

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app
    ​Sophie Kelly

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    That's all disappointing to hear. I was thinking of getting one, but I have big feet. I have issues getting most any monofin on. If you have issues with the AMP, I will really have issues.
    Two questions: Is it possible to get the insert out of the neoprene cover?
    What is "redneck style" ?
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidsophia14 View Post
    I recently got the AMP too and I would have to agree with you, the fabric is very tight. It took me quite a while to put on. I recommend swimming with it for a few minutes once you manage to get it on. It may stretch out the monofin cover a bit (but not too much).

Sent from my iPad using MerNetwork mobile app
    Yes good suggestion, sadly where I live I’m not sure if anyone would let me use there pool (It’s winter rn and the only pool around is the school one)
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    That's all disappointing to hear. I was thinking of getting one, but I have big feet. I have issues getting most any monofin on. If you have issues with the AMP, I will really have issues.
    Two questions: Is it possible to get the insert out of the neoprene cover?
    What is "redneck style" ?
    As for your first question I’m not sure, as for redneck style it’s basically using what you have (Like I did with the socks), another funny example I heard once was getting your girlfriend earrings that double as fishing hooks XD
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSolstice's Avatar
    I actually had my first swim in mine today What I did was wet the sock part, then gently put my feet in it and sat in it for a while (I was reading), until the socks were dry. They stretched out enough where it wasn't as much of a struggle to get on when I went to the pool (2min ish), however it was still tight. I think that's just the nature of the monofin, it stayed pretty tight on me for the entire swim (which is what I wanted). It did stretch out more after my swim, so I predict it will be easier to put on next time and will be looser. But putting the fin on when it's wet is quite a bit easier.

My foot size is 8 1/2-9 womens, normal width (6ish in mens?). I think anyone with larger feet will struggle with this fin simply because of the sewn spot that separates the feet. I believe Courtneymermaid did a review on the AMP and she has a bigger foot size than me and swam in it, so if you have questions you should check out that video.
    "I must be a mermaid...I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." -Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSolstice View Post
    I actually had my first swim in mine today What I did was wet the sock part, then gently put my feet in it and sat in it for a while (I was reading), until the socks were dry. They stretched out enough where it wasn't as much of a struggle to get on when I went to the pool (2min ish), however it was still tight. I think that's just the nature of the monofin, it stayed pretty tight on me for the entire swim (which is what I wanted). It did stretch out more after my swim, so I predict it will be easier to put on next time and will be looser. But putting the fin on when it's wet is quite a bit easier.

My foot size is 8 1/2-9 womens, normal width (6ish in mens?). I think anyone with larger feet will struggle with this fin simply because of the sewn spot that separates the feet. I believe Courtneymermaid did a review on the AMP and she has a bigger foot size than me and swam in it, so if you have questions you should check out that video.
    Thank you this was a big help because I have a similar foot size, I plan on asking the person in charge of the school pool if I can swim there, if not I’ll probably use the bathtub to try and stretch it a bit more
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Well, I'm 11 1/2 men's wide. Its the wide part that makes me and monofins not get along. Its sort of odd that FinFun would make a stronger monofin for large people, then make it so small it cannot fit large people.

Let the storm rage on!

The first time I just wet it in the sink. If there is a YMCA in the area they sometimes let you swim (look for public access days).
    "I must be a mermaid...I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." -Anais Nin

Well, I'm 11 1/2 men's wide. Its the wide part that makes me and monofins not get along. Its sort of odd that FinFun would make a stronger monofin for large people, then make it so small it cannot fit large people.
    True, it is quiet odd
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

The first time I just wet it in the sink. If there is a YMCA in the area they sometimes let you swim (look for public access days).
    Sadly I live in a rural area and I don’t know where the closest YMCA is
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lily Dewdrop View Post
    True, it is quiet odd
    A bit of information. Apparently, FinFun looks at these threads. I got a message from Steve Browning, President of Fin Fun:

"I read your post about our new AMP monofin on the MerNetwork website. Your comment that it is strange that we made an improved monofin but didn't make it big enough for larger feet is spot on. The manufacturer made a mistake and made the holes about 1/2" smaller than our design. Consequently, we have had to adjust the recommended foot sizes down for now until we sell out of this first order. Our next order will have bigger foot pockets! However, a size 11 1/2 man's foot will still find it tight! Take care and thanks again! We welcome any constructive criticism you may have as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our products and services."

OK, Steve, some comments:

I have spent around $300 of monofins that do not fit me as it seems virtually the entire monofin industry thinks larger men do not exist. Its really annoying. One reason I have given FinFun repeat business is their Monofin Pro is a low cost option that does work for me. Still I usually make three modifications to make it work well for me. I add a reinforcing plate under my feet to stiffen it, I add an extra strap to better hold my feet to it (really helps after that plate is added) and I bend the monofin along the toe line to turn it into an angled monofin. The latter is because I cannot point my toes very well.

A fourth modification is I add a 2 inch wide strip of elastic to the skin to better hold it to may waist, and keep it from slipping off my rear.

I was hoping the AMP would at least eliminate the need for the strap and the plate. But if even the one with bigger foot pockets will still be to small for me, Ill have to just have to get the Pro and keep doing what I have been doing.

FinFun really needs a monofin for us mermen with size 11 to 14 feet. Also, as we have longer legs we need tail skins that are a few inches longer as well.
    Also, Steve, I believe it is OK to get an account and post directly to these threads to answer concerns like this. Lunocet does it. Just don't spam with adds.

Let the storm rage on!

A bit of information. Apparently, FinFun looks at these threads. I got a message from Steve Browning, President of Fin Fun:

"I read your post about our new AMP monofin on the MerNetwork website. Your comment that it is strange that we made an improved monofin but didn't make it big enough for larger feet is spot on. The manufacturer made a mistake and made the holes about 1/2" smaller than our design. Consequently, we have had to adjust the recommended foot sizes down for now until we sell out of this first order. Our next order will have bigger foot pockets! However, a size 11 1/2 man's foot will still find it tight! Take care and thanks again! We welcome any constructive criticism you may have as we are constantly looking for ways to improve our products and services."

OK, Steve, some comments:

I have spent around $300 of monofins that do not fit me as it seems virtually the entire monofin industry thinks larger men do not exist. Its really annoying. One reason I have given FinFun repeat business is their Monofin Pro is a low cost option that does work for me. Still I usually make three modifications to make it work well for me. I add a reinforcing plate under my feet to stiffen it, I add an extra strap to better hold my feet to it (really helps after that plate is added) and I bend the monofin along the toe line to turn it into an angled monofin. The latter is because I cannot point my toes very well.

A fourth modification is I add a 2 inch wide strip of elastic to the skin to better hold it to may waist, and keep it from slipping off my rear.

I was hoping the AMP would at least eliminate the need for the strap and the plate. But if even the one with bigger foot pockets will still be to small for me, Ill have to just have to get the Pro and keep doing what I have been doing.

FinFun really needs a monofin for us mermen with size 11 to 14 feet. Also, as we have longer legs we need tail skins that are a few inches longer as well.
    Also, Steve, I believe it is OK to get an account and post directly to these threads to answer concerns like this. Lunocet does it. Just don't spam with adds.
    Hmm, maybe they’ll make a bigger size monofin in the future, or even size options, until then we just keep making these posts and hope that they see them
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

As far as length of the tailskins go. I agree with you. Some of us tall girls would like longer tailskins. The normal tailskins are barely long enough. But I suppose that's why they have the custom sized tail option.

Do they still have custom sizing? I just looked at their site and could not find it. But I do remember that it was never available for the limited edition tails, only for their basic tails.

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Have you tried wetting the fin first? Or maybe some lube on the feet?
    No sadly I haven’t yet
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Do they still have custom sizing? I just looked at their site and could not find it. But I do remember that it was never available for the limited edition tails, only for their basic tails.
    Not sure, this is my first time buying from them and it was just an idea that popped into my head
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

As far as length of the tailskins go. I agree with you. Some of us tall girls would like longer tailskins. The normal tailskins are barely long enough. But I suppose that's why they have the custom sized tail option.
    For me the tail skin was long enough, but I agree that they should have longer ones, I have a Merman friend and I believe he’s gonna have trouble getting a tail long enough
    Mermaid Lily Dewdrop

Of The

Moose River

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Here it is. Its in Mermaid Tails section now, no longer a separate option.
    https://www.finfunmermaid.com/design-a-tail
    Formerly known as ireneho