Thread: Fundraiser!

Fundraiser!

I recently created a gofundme page to try and get my mermaid business off the ground. It would be great if any of you checked it out. I would definitely appreciate it!!!!
    https://m.gofund.me/j96bds-mermaid-business
    Starfish wishes and mermaid kisses!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    It says, server not found
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Huh OK I'll check it out

https://www.gofundme.com/j96bds-mermaid-business

Try this

Sorry, don't mean to sound rude but, what you have written so far, its too vague and wishy washy.

You need to write out a proper business plan, think about what skills you can offer and what makes you unique from the other mermaids already out frolicking in the vast oceans. Also include some samples of your artwork that you plan to offer as rewards.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Sorry, don't mean to sound rude but, what you have written so far, its too vague and wishy washy.

You need to write out a proper business plan, think about what skills you can offer and what makes you unique from the other mermaids already out frolicking in the vast oceans. Also include some samples of your artwork that you plan to offer as rewards.
    I second this. You should state what you're going to spend the money on, and explain what makes you qualified. How much experience you have with a mermaid tail, experience as an entertainer, modeling experience, relevant education, stuff like that. A lot of people think they can just go right into being a professional mermaid, but there's a lot of work involved, and you need more than just a nice tail. You gotta show that you know what you're getting into, and that you're prepared. People might be more likely to donate if you can assure them that the money won't go to waste.

Here is a guide on what you need to become a professional mermaid. It even includes a link to some fundraising suggestions. And Mermaid Raina has written some books on professional mermaiding, I haven't read them myself but I hear they're quite good. Good luck!

Please excuse me for being the confused old lady, but why are you expecting others to fund your business? Isn't that what small business loans are for if you can't pay your own expenses out of pocket?

Judging from some of your other posts, you don't even have a tail yet. Shouldn't you work on acquiring a tail and practice swimming in it before coming up with grandiose schemes to make money from mermaiding?

Last edited by mermaidamathiea; 01-19-2019 at 07:56 PM.

You do not currently have a tail, though. Do you even have any experience swimming in a tail?

Also, if you are in such dire straits as to be nearly homeless, you should probably get back on your feet before splashing out on a tail (much less funding a business).

Last edited by mermaidamathiea; 01-19-2019 at 07:56 PM.

I am not going to cheer on your haphazard plan, no. I notice you aren't answering any of the questions about your level of experience -- or even whether you have experience swimming in a tail.

What I am doing is providing you with some sound advice from someone who bootstrapped a business from the ground up and can pay myself for the value of my work after covering my expenses.

Your profile indicates that you are young, and by your own words you aren't in good financial shape. Instead of running off on a mermaiding lark, get yourself, your household, and your finances in order. Get a stable job appropriate to your level of education to pay your bills before spending money on a tail. Get some experience with a tail if you don't have any experience. Get some experience at the hobby level of mermaiding before even thinking about going professional -- and don't expect others to pay for your dreams. Demonstrate that you can be reliable before begging for money to grow a business.

Right now IMO you are a bad risk for anyone who might consider giving you money for this venture.

(I think I've watched too much of that Shark Tank investors tv show.)

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    I am not going to cheer on your haphazard plan, no. I notice you aren't answering any of the questions about your level of experience -- or even whether you have experience swimming in a tail.

What I am doing is providing you with some sound advice from someone who bootstrapped a business from the ground up and can pay myself for the value of my work after covering my expenses.

Your profile indicates that you are young, and by your own words you aren't in good financial shape. Instead of running off on a mermaiding lark, get yourself, your household, and your finances in order. Get a stable job appropriate to your level of education to pay your bills before spending money on a tail. Get some experience with a tail if you don't have any experience. Get some experience at the hobby level of mermaiding before even thinking about going professional -- and don't expect others to pay for your dreams. Demonstrate that you can be reliable before begging for money to grow a business.

Right now IMO you are a bad risk for anyone who might consider giving you money for this venture.

(I think I've watched too much of that Shark Tank investors tv show.)
    First off you have absolutely no idea what I've got going on. Because I don't post all about it on mernetwork. Secondly I do not have to answer to you. Yes I have experience swimming in a tail. I did not ask for your advice. The gofundme is a tiny fraction of what I have going on.

You asked the forum as a whole to check out a business proposal which needs a lot of work.

If all you want is kittens and rainbows and headpats instead of advice from those who have suggestions for improvement, be my guest. I can see myself out.

Hate to break it to you but you need to think about better rewards. Those paintings, they're full of anger and are rather amature.

Rewards have to be catered to all likes, and from the looks of your paintings, only a very few select audience will like those things.

Hate to break it to you but you need to think about better rewards. Those paintings, they're full of anger and are rather amature.

Rewards have to be catered to all likes, and from the looks of your paintings, only a very few select audience will like those things.
    The paintings are CUSTOM paintings. Meaning the person who is receiving the paintings chooses what is painted on them.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    The paintings are CUSTOM paintings. Meaning the person who is receiving the paintings chooses what is painted on them.

In that case, showcase your CUSTOM MERMAID PAINTINGS. If you don't have any, make some samples so people are able to see the quality of the work.

In that case, showcase your CUSTOM MERMAID PAINTINGS. If you don't have any, make some samples so people are able to see the quality of the work.
    Thanks for the tip! Currently only have two mermaid ones and they're older so they aren't the best I'll definitely get some newer ones done to show!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidamathiea View Post
    First off you have absolutely no idea what I've got going on. Because I don't post all about it on mernetwork. Secondly I do not have to answer to you. Yes I have experience swimming in a tail. I did not ask for your advice. The gofundme is a tiny fraction of what I have going on.

If you're going to ask people to give you money, you kind of do have to answer to them. No one here is trying to be mean, they're giving constructive criticism and good advice. If you're going to ask for money, and if you plan on running a business, you have to learn to listen to people and take advice when necessary. You say you know what you're doing, well then, prove it. Explain your business plan. Post some videos of you swimming in a tail. I'm just a hobbyist with a FinFun who can't even go mermaiding very often, but even I can tell ya that you're going about this the wrong way.