Thread: Music for Freedivers at Perth Fringe

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+

Music for Freedivers at Perth Fringe

I just got back from Wet Sounds the underwater concert. It was really interesting and quite an experience - amazing how clear the music is underwater, and as the artist said, the deeper you go, the better it is. As the venue is a dive pool you can go really deep. It's dimly lit with coloured lights (and scuba folks for safety) Unfortunately the venue doesn't allow mertails - with the surreal music and lighting it would have been very cool.

If you go, take flippers, goggles, snorkel. And dive - the sound is so much better down there.

On the other hand, I've rarely swum without my tail since I got it, I was surprised how much better I was at normal swimming, not that I sucked before, just the diving and underwater swimming much better, and very useful for this unique event.

https://fringeworld.com.au/whats_on/wet-sounds-fw2019

Add Kwilena on Google+
    And here's a longer review now I'm awake.

Last night was the first Wet Sounds concert for the 2019 Perth Fringe.

We turned up at the HBF Stadium fairly early and just chilled as the support people arrived from Perth Dive. They sold and hired out masks and snorkels for those that didn't have them, and were also providing saftey support in the dive pool where the concert was being held, so during the concert it wasn't unusual to be showered in rising bubbles as a diver released them from their respirator.

This breathtaking concert is a fully immersive experience. You enter the water with the other audience members but they become shapes in the water in the dim and coloured gentle lightshow, moving on the surface and below it, diving deep to get the best sound. The sound track at the surface is harsh and vital, but as you dive it vanishes into a smoother, clearer crystal sound - changing as you rise and descend.

It reminded me of Jarre's Concerts in China, and throw in some Alan Lauris, Mike Oldfield and maybe some 4AD stuff. It is its own unique sound and while certainly novel and original is not a gimmick - there's a real craftsmanship in making your audience part of the medium, and the weaving of the tracks is masterful.

Float on the surface with your ears underwater, float with one ear under and one ear above for a really unique stereo experience, and dive, dive, dive! It's a unique invitation to become a composer yourself, you are effectively doing your own mixing - combining the tracks as you ascend and swim down.

Unfortunately for us, when I enquired I was told that the HBF Stadium doesn't permit mertails, which would have added to the surreal and magical experience for the diving part, but small fins would be fine. There are quite a few people in the water, of all skills, so be aware of other patrons entranced by the novelty and look before you dive.

Goggles and snorkel a necessity - you can hire them. Don't forget the trick with the baby shampoo for the defogging of your goggles before you go.

9 out of 10 breathtaking and The Abyss jamming with humpbacks at a laser light show on the Sid and Nancy Scale.

#fringeworld
    Last edited by Kwilena; 01-24-2019 at 09:58 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Sounds wonderful!
    Australia really does seem to be freedive country.

I wish something like that were available somewhere here around.
    The closest thing I know is a (small, shallow) thermal pool which offers underwater music. You can only hear it underwater, and like you said, the deeper down you go, the better you can hear it.

Add Kwilena on Google+
    The artist is based in London, so look out for his other concerts - one might come near you in the future. https://joelcahen.wordpress.com/