Thread: Uses for 'retired' fabric tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Uses for 'retired' fabric tail

The search function isn't kind to me so there is probably a thread like this...my first tail from 2014, a Fin Fun Mermaiden tail, is now shot, and I don't know what to do with it. I don't intend to use it ever again, so I won't be swimming in it. It's gotten these areas, like one giant run, where the fabric is thin and sagging. It reminds me of a friend's homemade tail that got big patchy holes, possibly after a trip thru a dryer. Mine has only gone thru a dryer maybe once, and not any time recently. Anyway, it's old so it died from age and use, and Idk what to do with it. Pitch it? Give it away (seriously if you want to pay shipping I can mail it to you)? I'm not a crafty person so I can't use it for anything.

THIS TAIL IS 'SOLD' PLEASE DON'T ASK
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 02-03-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Up-cycle it? Depending on how bad it is, it might be salvageable for craft projects. I have a few ideas in mind.

It looks like your PMs are off. Is there a way to contact you about how much to ship?

Someone one youtube took a good size square from their retired tail and put it in a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Spirit View Post
    Someone one youtube took a good size square from their retired tail and put it in a frame.
    That was nerdmaid faith.
    You could always make a pillow cover from part of it or cut it up for cuffs and hair ties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking some "mermaid laundry" (a la Ralph Cahoon's 1965 painting "Topless Swim Suits Forbidden" or his 1960-ish "Mermaid's Washday") hanging outside might be fun. The neighbours already think I'm a bit off with all the lawn art.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora85 View Post
    That was nerdmaid faith.
    You could always make a pillow cover from part of it or cut it up for cuffs and hair ties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    Up-cycle it? Depending on how bad it is, it might be salvageable for craft projects. I have a few ideas in mind.

It looks like your PMs are off. Is there a way to contact you about how much to ship?
    I'd say no more than $5 to ship, if you are in USA. No overseas shipping. I'm going to do a vid or pics later to show the condition. I swam in it last weekend (when I noticed those areas) so it isn't totally trashed. If you want to talk more I can turn my pms on.

All right here is a pic. Those wet looking, saggy spots are the thin areas.

one pic
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 02-01-2019 at 01:47 PM.

It doesn't look too bad from that picture. I think I can work with it.

I am in the States and I am definitely interested. My PMs are on. Whenever you are ready, please send me a message and let's work out the shipping details.

Quote Originally Posted by tealmermaid View Post
    It doesn't look too bad from that picture. I think I can work with it.

I am in the States and I am definitely interested. My PMs are on. Whenever you are ready, please send me a message and let's work out the shipping details.
    All right, sent a pm your way