Thread: Tie-dying Spandex

Tie-dying Spandex

Hi everyone, I checked before making this post before. I recently bought the Mertailor Fantasea Monofin, and I didn't want to pay for the full tail skin. I was thinking about getting white Lycra/Spandex fabric for the tail and tie-dying it. Does anyone know if this will work or if the Color will hold underwater? Thanks!
    Mermaid Mikayla

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    I saw some interesting tie dye tutorials online for swimsuits that mentioned acid set dye? Id web search that maybe ^_^
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

I don't think you can dye spandex at home. But, you could achieve the same effect with thinned out fabric paint. http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/spandex.shtml

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Use a dye made for synthetic fabric like rit synthetic or idye poly and then a fixative. Do some research on setting the dye in and you should be fine.

Have a look at courtney mermaid (Vancouver mermaid) on YouTube she uses a 4 way stretch spacer fabric from spandexworld.com, and uses permaset Aqua fabric paints. I'm currently getting all the materials needed to make my own tail and top. She has loads of videos with step by step instructions on how to make one.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app