Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plus Size mermaids?

Plus Size mermaids?

Okay forgive me if this is in the wrong place, I did search and couldnt find a thread about this so I decided to make one so if it is in the wrong place please feel free to move it!

So the main topic here: Plus Size Mers

I am a plus size mer and I've noticed that most tails and tops do not allow much stomach coverage (I know most mers dont need it) but as a plus size mer its something that worries me when it comes to getting a tail and stuff because I DO NOT want to show my stomach at all.

Does anyone know if tail makers like Fin Fun (I want to order from them) will be okay with an extra bit of fabric so it goes above the belly button?

Or is there a top or something recommended for this sort of thing?

Also this thread can be a place for all things plus size mermaid related

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    While not technically a plus-sized, I'm a very curvy mermaid with belly showing issues as well. What I've mostly used is a monosuit of a neutral color underneath the tail to ensure I'm at least front-covered, but have recently come upon a long-sleeved monosuit that can be easily modified to turn into a mermaid top with the addition of fins and sequin scales if you're a little savvy with hand sewing (Basic stitches like a ladder, zig-zag, and backlooping). Just turned my first test into a tuxedo for a swim event I'm about to attend today, but will expand on that thoughtline later for a fullbody costume if I can find a skintone suit or similar.

The Speedo brand's suit has very easy to follow seamage for tracing and making variants of for that purpose as well - which is what I used to make my 'undershirt' and jacket lapels out of scuba knit.

my other issue is I am not a fan of form fitting stuff around my doughnut (what I lovingly call my stomach *headdesk*) Im just so self concious about it but I desperately want to have a tail and feel beautiful using it if that makes sense

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leena Merdancer View Post

Does anyone know if tail makers like Fin Fun (I want to order from them) will be okay with an extra bit of fabric so it goes above the belly button?

Or is there a top or something recommended for this sort of thing?

I know Fin Fun isn't doing custom sizing stuff right now but they do have tankinis. Idk how big adult sizes go. I wear a mermaid themed rash guard instead when I don't want my torso to be seen. (I'm actually pretty thin but this is a good tip)
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 02-11-2019 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I know Fin Fun isn't doing cuatom sizing stuff right now but they do have tankinis. Idk how big adult sizes go. I wear a mermaid themed rash guard instead when I don't want my torso to be seen. (I'm actually pretty thin but this is a good tip)
    ahh a tankini thats a good idea! and I did speak to a Fin Fun rep and they said they would pass along the sentiment about custom sizing for tails. I wonder if I will still feel like a mermaid if I wear a tankini tho :/

ahh a tankini thats a good idea! and I did speak to a Fin Fun rep and they said they would pass along the sentiment about custom sizing for tails. I wonder if I will still feel like a mermaid if I wear a tankini tho :/
    Tankinis can be cute! I wear them because of my religious beliefs. I’ve been meaning to embellish one with shells or pearls or netting or the like. I’d love to share design ideas with another tankini-wearing mer!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Tankinis can be cute! I wear them because of my religious beliefs. I’ve been meaning to embellish one with shells or pearls or netting or the like. I’d love to share design ideas with another tankini-wearing mer!

oh man I never even thought about embellishing with netting and shells and stuff! where the heck did my brain go lol if you have some designs I'd love to hear about them

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    i wear all my company made tails as high waisted, im not sure how tall you are but im about 5'2" and my dress size is around 24. ive had no issue doing so so far and i fit in the xl for fin fun and mertailor. for more stomach coverage, you could wear a flowy tankini or get a long chiffon scarf and use it as a belt! if you have some sewing skills you could add some flowy fabric (my preference would be organza, chiffon, or voile personally) to the bottom of a top!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I wear a matching one piece swimsuit. I've seen other mers do the same. Its no different to a bra top when kids notice you. They see the tail and call us, mermaids!

If you look at vintage mermaid art, you'll see that some of them do have scales and clothing that go all the way to the shoulders. So all this half naked mermaids, is the work of Disney and other movies.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    If you look at vintage mermaid art, you'll see that some of them do have scales and clothing that go all the way to the shoulders. So all this half naked mermaids, is the work of Disney and other movies.
    In my experience, the amount of coverage a mermaid in artwork has depends on the time period and intended audience.

Edwardian mermaids (1880s/90s) are generally covered from neck to fluke in photographs but not in paintings or other art (see: John William Waterhouse). Early TwenCen art mermaids such the Source Brault sparkling water poster mers have their tails to mid-thigh or lower, mirroring flapper girls in short skirts. By the Post-War period and into the 1950s/60s, that tail line starts creeping upward until the poor mer's chest is completely covered (see: Meyercord mermaid decals). Miranda and Lenore both have bikini-type tops in their respective films if I recall correctly.

Illustrations of The Little Mermaid generally have her tail to the waist and sometimes (but not always) with strategic bits of hair covering her chest. The statue in Copenhagen is clearly not wearing a top at all. Disney's rendition has her shell top.

Madison doesn't have a top, scales, or other covering either, if I recall correctly, but some other modern mermaids in television commercials and such do.

So! There's no hard and fast rule about where to draw the line for coverage. If wearing a longer top makes you more comfortable, do it. If you're good with your body as it is, that's great too. The important thing IMO is that you are comfortable. Don't worry about what other people think.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Ive seen a full body clownfish inspired tail that was IN.CRED.I.BLE. i definitely don't think more coverage = less mer!

I certainly want higher coverage! ^_^
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Ultimately its all about you. I've watched mermaid tv shows where, they go swimming in dresses, vests and the like.

You can mermaid in all manner of clothing. Children will still relate to you as mermaid. Even the older kids. To them, the magic of seeing a mermaid is more important than what you're wearing as whole (tops, one pieces etc).

I have a mertailor guppy tail and it’s long enough that it covers up my tummy pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid
    To them, the magic of seeing a mermaid is more important than what you're wearing as whole (tops, one pieces etc).
    this. last year i attended my local pirate event only wearing a mermaid /themed/ outfit as i didn't want to wear my tail (i was wearing scale print wraparound top with beaded bra, and loose belly-dancer esque skirt over matching mermaid scale leggings), and a kid pointed to me and shouted, "mermaid!"
    Last edited by inanna; 02-10-2019 at 03:23 AM. Reason: forgot a word
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Following

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Oh one more thing you could try. My friend has made a tail that comes all the way up, and hooks around her neck...kinda like a low-back dress that becomes a mermaid tail! Or like a mermaid jump-suit. I wish I had a pic or could describe it better. I totally agree with the tankini or making something like a belt or other decorations to put around where the tail meets the stomach, to cover up that area. Personally I don't care if someone thinks I look mermaidy or not, cuz I'm doing it for them. I'm going to get looks and nice comments no matter what I do since most people tend to be 'omg mermaid'.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Go for it! I've seen plenty of depictions of more covered mers that look great! Shoot, you could probably wear a one piece swimsuit with a tail if you're going for full stomach coverage. I bet one of those Marylin Monroe swimsuits would look amazing with a tail!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Go for it! I've seen plenty of depictions of more covered mers that look great! Shoot, you could probably wear a one piece swimsuit with a tail if you're going for full stomach coverage. I bet one of those Marylin Monroe swimsuits would look amazing with a tail!
    I wear one piece swimsuits with my tails and I am awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I wear one piece swimsuits with my tails and I am awesome!
    My first tail just so happened to perfectly match the solid-colored one-piece I already had. Color coordination goes a shockingly long way, even if your top isn’t super fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    My first tail just so happened to perfectly match the solid-colored one-piece I already had. Color coordination goes a shockingly long way, even if your top isn’t super fancy.

I make my own swimsuits so they are always matching my tails.