Thread: Issues using the tracing outline method

Senior Member North Pacific Pod

Issues using the tracing outline method

Lol i don't know why this seemingly easy technique is proving so difficult, but i can't get my measurements to match up!

Is the outline supposed to match up to the circumference measurements/2 ? Bc mine definitely arent!

Is it supposed to be a guide? I just can't figure it out. Dang skintight cloths, can you tell i usually wear baggy?! Hahaha
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    I've fiddled with it myself making a rough draft for my sequin tail, and I've figured a method that mostly works -

-Mark your intended middle line on both ends of the tracing surface - both for feet and rump to help align yourself when laying down over it. Don't clamp your legs tightly together, leave at least a finger space between the ankles so you have some wiggle room.
    -When you lay down on your intended tracing surface, make sure the pen stays as perpendicular to the paper as possible, and avoid pressing against your body if you can help it. The line will look rough but the next steps will fix this.
    --Mark points where the lines are - such as the area your line stops, hips, waist, largest curve of the thigh, top of the knee, bottom of the knee, largest point of the calf, top of the ankle, bottom of the ankle, and heel - this mostly covers majority of what makers will ask for in custom tails, and will help in your own measurement calculations. Also indicate heel points so when you stand up to include foot tracing, you can realign your heel to the initial mark to aid in planning out monofin shape (and the overall fluke shape)

- Eyeball to see if your tracing was straight, or needs to be redone.

-If it's good - then fold the sheet so the pencil side is out - pick the better side, and cut it on those specific lines (no need to fiddle with any squigglies, just cut through the middle of them into a smooth line) - better to go a little bigger than you think because of the nature of curvature (Found this out the hard way making webbed gloves where I couldn't fit my rolled hands because my arm is skinnier than the meat of my thumb pad when curled under), and you can tuck in any loose areas.

At this point you can use that tracing for your work, or transfer it onto a clean sheet for a more finished look if you intend to use it multiple times.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Place your monofin on the fabric or tracing paper, then lie on top of it with your heels resting on the foot pockets where your heels usually go when you have your feet inside them.
    Then start tracing. You have to keep the pen vertical and not press into your flesh when making the outline.

It won't match the circumference measurements because the pen or whatever you're using to draw with, is wider than the measuring tape.

When you draw the outline, the pattern will always be a bit bigger by 0.5 cm to 1 cm, depending on how wide your marker is.

You can use this extra width as your seams, just sew inside the lines.

I know this because I make my tails with a Crayola washable marker and it is always a perfect fit.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Thanks everyone! I have a stretchy material that is perfect fit practicing ^_^ its minus a fluke as im just practicing making a pattern and body sleeve ^_^

Almost ready to baste!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears