Thread: Crowdfunding a Mermail tail via Gofundme

Follow Mermaid Ichthya On Twitter Add Mermaid Ichthya on Facebook Add Mermaid Ichthya on Google+ Add Mermaid Ichthya on Bebo Add Mermaid Ichthya on MySpace
    Add Mermaid Ichthya on Linkedin Follow Mermaid Ichthya on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Ichthya on Flickr Visit Mermaid Ichthya's Youtube Channel Visit Mermaid Ichthya's Vimeo Channel

Crowdfunding a Mermail tail via Gofundme

Mermaiding is #8 on my list of 10 life goals, so I'm currently seeking help in crowdfunding the acquition of a mermaid tail, it's a used silicone spellbound tail made my themertailor.com

I cannot even at 790 USD, it'd take me years to save up that much on social security disability.

You don't have to donate, but if you do donate, only do so if you can afford it. otherwise, all I ask is you read the story on the gofundme and spread the word.

https://www.gofundme.com/Mermaiding-Dream-Help

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    If your knees are hurting that badly, I don't think silicone is the way to go.

You need to be a strong swimmer to be able to use a silicone tail. While these tails are neutrally buoyant in water, you'll still feel some weight to it as it is comparatively different to swimming in a fabric tail.

Technology nowadays is pretty awesome, maybe look into getting fabric tail instead. Mertailor and Finfolk make fabric tails that look almost as real as a silicone tail.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Follow Mermaid Ichthya On Twitter Add Mermaid Ichthya on Facebook Add Mermaid Ichthya on Google+ Add Mermaid Ichthya on Bebo Add Mermaid Ichthya on MySpace
    Add Mermaid Ichthya on Linkedin Follow Mermaid Ichthya on Tumblr Follow Mermaid Ichthya on Flickr Visit Mermaid Ichthya's Youtube Channel Visit Mermaid Ichthya's Vimeo Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    If your knees are hurting that badly, I don't think silicone is the way to go.

You need to be a strong swimmer to be able to use a silicone tail. While these tails are neutrally buoyant in water, you'll still feel some weight to it as it is comparatively different to swimming in a fabric tail.

Technology nowadays is pretty awesome, maybe look into getting fabric tail instead. Mertailor and Finfolk make fabric tails that look almost as real as a silicone tail.
    Swimming is easier on my legs actually, I've been swimming again as part of my phyiscal therapy. The water provides less effort on my legs....

And thus, for a brief time allows me to use them and not hurt as much. I am a strong swimmer, and when snow and ice doesn't get in the way of swimming at ymca...I'm there every night.

And swimming is a great stress reliever I've found, you can pour all of your bad or off day into the water...take your mind off things and relax.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Well in that case, try rewording your cause. Remove your accident history. Say what you are going to do in the tail, are you going to do parties and events? Are you starting a business, state your proposal, pricing and such. Offer some rewards for different tiers of donations.

If this is for a personal tail, save up every last bit of change. Most people here take years to save up for their dream tail. Its ok to take longer to build up your own savings.

I'm on welfare myself, I rent a tiny apartment, pay my own bills, buy my medicines and work when I can. I'm still able to pay for my own tails, buy new monofins and fabric to make my own tails and matching swimsuits. All this without ever having to ask strangers for money.

I could try that, but it'd likely take years. Providing i dont need the money for something else that month, if it gets no donations in a week...and it hasn't sold. Maybe i can talk the seller into doing a payment plan of some kind.

Idk how in need of the total amount the seller happens to be, but norns (aka fate weavers in Asatru) willing...the seller will be open to that.

And I'm trying to get into mermaiding as a hobby, but also Because how awesome it is that swimming relieves stress as much as it does. Plus wanting to get into mermaiding has helped with my crippling aquaphobia, as getting reused to swimming in a safe controllable environment does.

I've been working hard towards my goal...many times i felt like quitting when i wasn't showing progress, got me down something fierce those times did.

I'm sure you know what its like to be that dejected.

You don't need a silicone tail for a hobby. What if months down the track, you find you're not that into it anymore, or somehow you lost/gain weight and the tail doesn't fit anymore.

In the case of a fabric tail (neoprene and spandex), you can easily open up the seams and make adjustments. Just ask here, and someone will help you.

With a silicone tail, its harder to do if you have no knowledge of silicone. Going through trial and errors to fix said tail cost money. Sending it back to the tail maker cost more money. Is this what you really want to get into?

If you decide to sell it, you won't get back the same money that you paid for it. And the guilt will be there.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    You definitely don't need a silicone tail for a hobby. I'm in a similar position where I'm on disability and many days can't even walk... but i craft and find ways to save. It is possible, its just not instant gratification.

Silicone tails are also HEAVY out of water...not good with severe pain

I raided my change jar and came up with enough for a suntails set on amazon ^_^

Small jobs for friends, crafting, cleaning help, there is a lot you can do that will add up fast

If you're artsy, try zazzle!

Also, i feel for you but posting overly emotional comments repeatedly actually hurts your credibility. Try relooking at your budgeting, and priorities.
    Last edited by SirenGita; 02-12-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

What is zazzle? ^///^;

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ichthya View Post
    What is zazzle? ^///^;

Its like Ebay, but for artsy fartsy people. Added bonus is that, you can request other people from there to design for you.

Zazzle is one of many places you can put your art on premade shirts, cups, all kinds of crazy stuff.

Ive made several hundred over the last 10 years. And i do nothing in between lol
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

If you need help with it pm me ^_^
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

As long as you practice good care a fabric tail will last a long time. Just make sure to gently rinse it after uses and hang it out to dry. Never drag it around on the ground. Y'know.

I absolutely understand the appeal of a silicone tail but I definitely wouldn't do it if you have chronic pain. At least not until your condition improves a little. Silicone tails easily weigh 30 to 40 pounds. It's a lot of weight especially as you hop out of the water. Take it from someone with chronic nerve pain in their legs. It may feel like nothing in the water but the moment you're out of it you are gonna feel the weight.

Perhaps a happy medium would be a Hybrid tail! They use fabric bases but have silicone scales and details applied on top. They tend to be a little lighter, a little cheaper, and if you're savy they're easy to make too!
    Last edited by MermaidFinley; 02-12-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Oh dear. "It'd take me years to save up that much"? How long do you think most hobbyists save to get a tail?

Honestly? I think you should just save up for a tail rather than expecting others to fund your hobby "wants". If this is a big priority for you, then look at your budget to see where you can shake loose some spare change. In the mean time, if you feel swimming helps, just swim. A monofin isn't that expensive, so maybe start with that before worrying about a tail?

I also agree with the suggestion of not getting a silicone tail if you are disabled. Those things are heavy. I know I couldn't deal with it in my current state. Fabric tails are easier on the budget anyway.

If you change your mind on me setting up the store and predonating art, let me know.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    as someone with pain and mobility issues I can't begin to express how great mertailor's new FABRIC tails are! They come with a silicone monofin, and the fabric LOOKS exactly like silicone but is a million times easier to swim in and way less pain on your legs. I love mine so much I've started swapping out my silicone for my fabric for certain gigs! I really, from one sufferer to another, can't suggest them enough. they'll be more within your budget too. I have done some reviews and videos. I also have a discount code RAINA10 gets you 10% off

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    I’ll join the chorus and also suggest saving for a fabric tail. Saving for a silicone tail might take you years, but lots of people here save for years to get their dream tail. In addition, if you’ve never done mermaiding before, starting out with a silicone isn’t a good idea even if you are a strong swimmer.

There are lots of beautiful, inexpensive fabric options, FinFun even has a custom template.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    also check out my tips on saving for a mermaid tail: http://rainamermaid.tumblr.com/post/...-for-a-mermaid

I agree with everyone, I'm on disability benefits too for fibromyalgia, and swimming and mermaiding are the only things that help me exercise, and overall help with my mental health loads. I have x4 monofins, hydra, Luna, mahina and Linden. I bought a finfun limited edition tail for the Linden and it didnt massively put a dent in my wallet but I absolutely love it. I'm currently making and painting my own tail for the Luna which I'm loving doing, and nearly have the money saved for the mertailor fantasea too monofin and a koi whimsy tail and I'm so excited to order it this weekend. Yes loads of us would love a silicone tail I deffo would but I deffo cant afford one and i had thought about doing a go fund me, but for me personally I feel its cheeky asking people for money for a tail when theres people out there that dont have homes, or jobs, those who struggle to put good on the table, and to keep a roof over their heads. I'm lucky I have a wonderful husband who supports me and my mermaiding hobby loads. His words were "I've got my wife back". Having fibro puts such a massive strain on our relationship but we've gone through worse. There are so many gorgeous fabric tails out there now I personally think they are out doing the silicone ones. One day I really wanna make my own silicone tail rather than just buy one which again I dont have the money for but it will make me appreciate it more as I've made it with my own too hands, but I wish you the best of luck and we are all here for help and guidance xx