Thread: Fantasea durability

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Fantasea durability

Can anyone tell me about the Fantasea's durability? Like if it's going to be okay being scraped against pool walls/bottoms, and rocks and other unsavory surfaces in creeks, lakes, etc. It's been my understanding that once silicone tears, I'm screwed. I don't intend on abusing it but I do need to know where to be more careful with it compared to something like my Mahina

From what I've heard and seen it's a very soft and floppy monofin. It's basically a silicone fluke. The fantasea is a little less sturdy than it's sibling the fantasea too. I assume as long as you take care and keep it nice and clean like you would a silicone tail it should last a long time. Between the foot pockets there seems to be a rod of silicone for extra reinforcement on both models. Just treat it like you would a silicone tail. Bumping into things shouldn't be a problem but it might get nicked and cut up if something sharp runs across the surface. But that kinda damage is mostly superficial.
    Last edited by MermaidFinley; 02-12-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Silicone is also fairly easy to repair. Most local and chain petstores sell aquarium silicone that you can use to fill holes. I think Mertailor also has a warranty on them if they're bought directly from him? But don't quote me on that.

From my experience be careful on rocks. It is pretty good but just aware of your surroundings. I have not had to much trouble with pools

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    YES. It's incredibly durable. I have review videos:

I also have a discount code RAINA10 gets you 10% off

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    YES. It's incredibly durable. I have review videos:

I also have a discount code RAINA10 gets you 10% off
    I did use your code last week when I ordered.

I'm like dragging myself along in the shallows in lakes and other rocky areas, relaxing and watching my little aquatic friends. There's been flooded spots with a lot of trees and brush that my Mahina survived but the silicone makes me wary. I know those floppy ends I need to watch in such waters

I've heard from some merfolk that the Fantasea Too rips or cracks. Search in the official mertailor pod on facebook.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdmaid Faith View Post
    I've heard from some merfolk that the Fantasea Too rips or cracks. Search in the official mertailor pod on facebook.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    The people I've seen that happen to (Like Mandy) seem to be getting too small foot size and pulling the strap out as hard as they can to get their foot in. My fantasy is more durable than my foil for the strap, for sure.

All right now that I had my first swim, I noticed a lot of air bubble holes along the edge of the fin/seam, and there's an air bubble on the underside. I asked on the mertailor fb group and got a couple "it will be fine" before Eric answered too and locked the thread- has anyone had issues like this and the holes leading to tears? I know on other silicone items (if you know what I mean), bubbles are very bad and lead to tears if you aren't careful. This fin is so wonderful and I don't want to lose it after a few swims cuz of holes.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Hmm will watch this thread, Ive been looking at those lately.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

I saw your photo it looked like a pin size hole. Silicone gets air bubbles unless a degasser is used and a degasser can impact the structure so tail makers don't use it, Pinholes from air bubbles is totally normal and isn't going to impact your fin's longevity in the slightest. Silicone is pourous. There will be pores it's a hand-poured fin which is advertised.
    Last edited by AniaR; 03-03-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    All right now that I had my first swim, I noticed a lot of air bubble holes along the edge of the fin/seam, and there's an air bubble on the underside. I asked on the mertailor fb group and got a couple "it will be fine" before Eric answered too and locked the thread- has anyone had issues like this and the holes leading to tears? I know on other silicone items (if you know what I mean), bubbles are very bad and lead to tears if you aren't careful. This fin is so wonderful and I don't want to lose it after a few swims cuz of holes.
    I swam a few more times and the fin is fine. I am concerned about one area- I got one really big bubble close to the surface on a 'corner' between the pocket and fin, on the outside edge. If that blows...it'll be interesting. For other mers, Silpoxy seems to work great for mishaps with this fin. So I'm not too worried. But I will probably use it only in a skin to avoid catching it on anything.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 03-30-2019 at 06:41 PM.