Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scientists decode genetic secrets of the Great White shark

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Ps: gmos can be good, but are almost NEVER TESTED for LONG TERM effects, like say, massive environmental destructions due to monoculture, and IGNORES actual solutions, like GMO salmon. Sure these salmon are twice as big...but actual salmon are dying out bc they still can't navigate the waterways and dying of pollution. Farmed salmon cant return either...and the result is destroying the eco system!

The j pod of orcas has been here my whole life and are dying and leaving bc the salmon die off. I believe the j pod was the pod of the mother that carried her dead calf for weeks as her pod died around her.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    After reading this teal...i don't tolerate those who kill children by giving them diseases they are too young to be vaccinated against as well as immunoconpromised cancer patients etc. We wont be friends. I'm putting you on ignore. This is why.

Big reason it is so crucial isn't just you.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post
    That is not eugenics... that is what bad people make eugenics INTO.

Also, I'm not sure who you are priviledge checking but calm down. <3
    I mean, saying people should die because they're weak is eugenics. Yeah, you're not killing them directly but it's not much better.

Momo is "privilege checking" Teal by pointing out that Teal, as an American, lives in a position of privilege where she wouldn't be hurt by the policies that she promotes. It's easy to say "vaccines are bad" when you live in a place where some diseases have already been wiped out by vaccines and you're protected by herd immunity. Good luck saying no to vaccines when you're in a place with malaria everywhere. It's easy to say that GMO crops are bad when you're not at any risk of starvation.

That's not to say that we shouldn't discuss the pros and cons of scientific development, but you do also have to consider other viewpoints on the matter. Otherwise you just end up looking like a clueless jerk and fewer people will consider your argument. This issue comes up a LOT in environmentalism, you HAVE to take the needs and desires of local people into account if you want to get anywhere and you're only gonna look like an uninformed jackass if you tell a bunch of rural Africans "You're horrible people for killing that lion" when you've never lived in a place where wildlife posed a significant threat to you or your livelihood, and yeah, you say that it's wrong that your ancestors drove all of the wildlife out of your area but you're still benefiting from damage and maybe you'd have a different viewpoint if that wildlife was still in your backyard. I'm getting off-topic though, I think I just needed to rant about that, lol.

I'm going to be the realist who points out why so many third-world countries have a time-honoured tradition of large families: because they expect most of the children to die -- by various means -- before reaching adulthood. So long as one or two survive to take care of the parents in their old age, everything is good for them.

Now, what happens when all the children in a large family survive into adulthood? They outpace their food supply. Those "feed the starving children for 25 cents a day" pleas have been running for at least forty years now. If we keep feeding them and they all live, we get to go through this cycle again when all 10+ survivors have children of their own. So: either they put aside the custom of large families to reduce their family size, or we need to let the population find its own balance.

We cannot support this population boom and bust cycle. If everyone insists on having so many children when it is no longer necessary, Ma Nature should probably take Her course.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Family size goes down as quality of life and access to opportunities (and birth control) goes up. If you actually care about the people you’d support access to birth control and better education, not letting them die.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Large families are common in impoverished areas not because they expect them to die. It's because when you live off of your own land you need hands to help maintain the land and the fields and help out in general and also because they're still hsving sex anf what are they supposed to do when they're pregnant without access to health services. Also impoverished areas don't have access to birth control and sexual education which would drop the birth rates down tremendously.

People are so disconnected with poor and people below the poverty line that they believe they have lots of kids because they expect them to die... Oh lordy lordy.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

And i just gotta note, those "help the starving children" things? Yeah thise aren't from having too many children. It's from people being forced to migrate by war, drought, famine, or children who are orphaned because you guessed it: war, drought, famine, displacement, and disease.

I'm attemping to be curteous and nice in this argument but the blatant disregard and no understanding of how poor, impoverished, refugee, etc ppl live is really grinding my gears.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    Family size goes down as quality of life and access to opportunities (and birth control) goes up. If you actually care about the people you’d support access to birth control and better education, not letting them die.
    That is definitely a major issue here. Girls being educated through high school keeps them out of the breeding pool for a longer period of time. Further education and not marrying immediately after high school would help. Instructions in the use of birth control would hopefully reduce the population to sustainable levels within a few generations.

The important thing would be to determine how much population can be supported by a particular environment. They have to be able to take care of their own needs long-term rather than just trucking in more food to throw at the problem.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    woooo boy. This is a mermaid forum folks. Maybe let's get away from eugenics and back to what the forum is for? Since when did we become reddit?

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Truth! It got way off topic to what the original conversation was about.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    woooo boy. This is a mermaid forum folks. Maybe let's get away from eugenics and back to what the forum is for? Since when did we become reddit?
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies