Thread: Pools in my area are suddenly restrictive on tails

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Pools in my area are suddenly restrictive on tails

In the past month, 2 indoor pools in cities about half an hour from each other have changed their minds on being tail-friendly. One won't allow us in the deep end and the other which I just swam in a monofin last week has vaguely banned all 'fins'. (I swam in a tail and my friend in her Mahina for half an hour there today until we were approached and told that the higher ups [city official maybe who oversee the local pools?], have banned all 'fins'.) Has something happened in the news to cause this? Texas mers- is it something local I'm missing?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Yeah, I've had this happen before. My guess is that they didn't previously have a policy on fins and tails because they didn't think it would be necessary. (a lot of people don't even know that monofins are a thing, and don't expect that anyone will show up to the pool in a mermaid tail) When people start showing up with monofins or tails, they'll question whether they should have a rule, and many will ban them just to be "on the safe side". Not many people use monofins or tails so they figure, they can't be losing that much business. It really sucks, especially if you don't have good non-pool areas to swim in.