Thread: Cartels, Spies, and the Last Days of the Vaquita

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar

Cartels, Spies, and the Last Days of the Vaquita

https://www.outsideonline.com/238645...-small-dolphin

An upcoming documentary explores the threats that the critically endangered vaquita porpoise faces, and follows the attempts to save the species. It's a story that involves corruption, violence, organized crime, and an international smuggling network. Conservation efforts haven't been working, is it already too late to save the vaquita? I certainly hope not, but I'm certainly not optimistic...

Member Euro Pod
    very interesting. I hope they are able to save the Vaquita, but I am not optimistic about it either.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ocean View Post
    very interesting. I hope they are able to save the Vaquita, but I am not optimistic about it either.
    I’m seeing a lot of parallels with the baiji. Few news networks and even conservation groups said or did anything, then when the species went extinct they made a big show of “HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?!”. The vaquita is getting slightly more attention and that only started when things got really dire. And it’s not like the population crashed overnight, they’ve been on the decline for years.

I watch the Sea Shepherds videos on YouTube and it breaks my heart. I try to be optimistic but I wonder logically... But the tides are changing and people are paying attention to the ocean, our life source, and listening finally. I hope they save the Vaquita..

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using MerNetwork mobile app

Woah, I never heard of this documentary before. I can't believe the cartel and gangs are doing illegal wildlife trafficking. I just never thought they're also part of it. Anyways, thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much for the very interesting information.