Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Swimtails Violates Copyright Use + Other issues summary (includes screenshots)

Also, let's keep in mind that it is Kristie who is admitting to being the one to 'design' the fairy mer tails, and is also the one doing most of the messaging and emailing, even now with blame put onto me every time.
    I initially thought maybe she was sort of trapped under Ryan's thumb, but I'm not sure how innocent she is in this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by FancyFairyAngela View Post
    Also, let's keep in mind that it is Kristie who is admitting to being the one to 'design' the fairy mer tails, and is also the one doing most of the messaging and emailing, even now with blame put onto me every time.
    I initially thought maybe she was sort of trapped under Ryan's thumb, but I'm not sure how innocent she is in this anymore.
    If she's telling the truth about buying stock images around the net in bulk, then using an image while forgetting the terms of use is a mistake I would probably make, especially if it was years down the road. (Though this is why I make a point to stick with stock that are free for personal and commercial use.) I really don't think it was something she did with malice, but rather just a case of being scatterbrained. The difference between me and Kristie is that if I was in her shoes, my husband wouldn't be responding to any emails and you'd have had your money and apology the moment I got your invoice.

That being said, it WAS a professional screw-up, and I agree that Swimtails should pay you the fee for misusing the stock. But I stand by my opinion, this really seems like a case of an artist wanting to start a business and her shithead husband screwing things up. I've seen it happen before in other industries. =/

Edit: Y'know what? I'm gonna just go ahead and clarify one more thing; I'm not trying to excuse what happened. I'm mostly frustrated because Swimtails has put out some pretty decent product last year, and seemed like they were well on their way for creating more. I really would have loved to see them do well, it's just... God dammit, Ryan.
    Last edited by BlueCorvidae; 03-05-2019 at 12:59 AM.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    God dammit, Ryan.
    echoing this. i have a tail from swimtails, but i bought it in 2015. while it hurts me a bit to say this, when i first saw this thread posted i decided i'm not going to buy anymore tails of theirs. i cannot support a company that does this.

just... god dammit, ryan.
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    If she's telling the truth about buying stock images around the net in bulk, then using an image while forgetting the terms of use is a mistake I would probably make, especially if it was years down the road. (Though this is why I make a point to stick with stock that are free for personal and commercial use.) I really don't think it was something she did with malice, but rather just a case of being scatterbrained
    I agree, but am only willing to give so much wiggle room. If you make a habit of buying stock for commercial purposes then it's part of the job to make sure you keep track. For instance, I buy music to use in my Youtube videos. I have them saved in different folders for their terms of use. I've been buying music for years and it's my job to organize it and use it responsibly. Could one slip through the cracks? Absolutely. But then it's on me to handle that properly. It's not like Angela didn't bother to notify them and just jumped to screaming online you know? She was very patient and kind through the whole thing and they kept taking advantage of it.

Also, this isn't the only time they've done that. It's #3 now, so I am starting to think it's willful ignorance on their part. Let's hope we don't get caught mentality.

The difference between me and Kristie is that if I was in her shoes, my husband wouldn't be responding to any emails and you'd have had your money and apology the moment I got your invoice.
    And THIS exactly.

If they actually had ANY intention of making things right with Angela, Ryan - instead of commenting threats and arguing- could have come on to that thread and said "Hey, I know this is upsetting it was a mistake on our part and we are currently trying to work this out with Angela." but instead he made it seem like he had tried so many things and Angela was being difficult (when in reality they had not replied to her last email in 2 days) and hey I am gonna sue anyone who shares this link.

When things are a genuine mistake they're admitted upfront with a "what can I do to make this better?" and following through on it.

When that publisher used my image without my permission on the cover of a NYT Best selling book, it took one email and they instantly apologized and agreed to pay the fee. There was no blame on me. It was their job to properly vet the work because THEY are a business ya know?

I know I am preaching to the choir with you Blue lol, just making my points for others reading.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Last thoughts on this from me agree with the last 2 posts. When i brought in a partner, i didn't realize she couldn't say the word NO to people and ended up in a lot of trouble as a result. I had no idea until a bunch of people came to me as she stopped responding and started screaming at me about missing money and orders and all kinds of things.

My reaction? Omg of course I'll fix this for you! Even though i hadn't done a dang thing involved in this!

Sadly i got kicked out of the system so i was not actually able to refind the people that got screwed so i got a bad rep for her mistakes. (She controllrd the social media)

To this day though, if somebody found me from that mess and still wanted recompense id give it in a heartbeat. It was partially my business, and i was the one dumb enough to bring in a young inexperienced partner.

If you put your name on things and accept payments from the profits you are accepting a role in that company and that comes with responsibilities.

Nobody deserves to be screwed over! Its NOT hard to do the right thing.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

I'm done with Swimtails. DONE.
    I don't even want their money anymore, it's probably tainted.
    I updated the blog post, I've already spent too much time responding to their bullshit, it was all just to waste my time while the public can think they actually ever intended to pay.
    Scroll down to the 'but wait there's more': http://www.fancyfairy.com/news/2019/2/27/copyright-psa

Don't know if I'm doing this right? But, this is the email that confirms that Swimtails did not purchase the extended license for commercial use. I updated my original News blog post with it too.
    Last edited by FancyFairyAngela; 03-07-2019 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Adding image didn't work last time

Ryan continues to lie about the situation and twist the story as much as he can, and just opened up the comments on their fake apology post on Instagram. Anyone they've ripped off should report them to the FTC! They won't investigate a few individual consumer complaints, but they will investigate if there are lots of them That link is here: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.go...6panel1-6#crnt

I also thought you'd be interested to know that they have an 'F' rating from the Better Business Bureau!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Yep they lost that bbb in december, I've also posted the info to the colarado ag and submitted a formal complaint, as i suggest you do too
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    So idk if this is worth mentioning but it appears Swimtails has removed their apology post entirely.

Swimtails removed post

Quote Originally Posted by Asterism View Post
    So idk if this is worth mentioning but it appears Swimtails has removed their apology post entirely.
    I noticed that too. I got a message from another wing maker who said that Ryan was sending her private messages after she asked what was up with the apology post. She said once he figured out she was not a customer he blocked her. She said "Deleted my question, accused me of not making sense and now blocked me 🤣😂🤣"

Maybe there was a shit storm I missed while I was away from Instagram? LOL

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    The fact he is sending private messages of your to people he doesn't know worries me. That usually a sign that none of our private information is safe in that company. Makes me glad I never bought nothing otherwise I'd be changing my credit card number.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    The fact he is sending private messages of your to people he doesn't know worries me. That usually a sign that none of our private information is safe in that company. Makes me glad I never bought nothing otherwise I'd be changing my credit card number.
    Woah, what exactly is he sending people? Did he send you something that supposedly is from me?
    If he is doctoring screen shots I will be livid! I would not put it past him though.

Oh, wait, nvm you meant the messages he was sending to my wing maker friend. Sorry I had just woken up ;P