Thread: Why do you continue Mermaiding?

Junior Member Pod of Cali Morgana1999's Avatar

Follow Morgana1999 on Tumblr

Question Why do you continue Mermaiding?

Just a general question to any and all mermaids/mermen out there who discovered mermaiding: What sparked your interest into continuing the sport? There is no wrong answer, so it could just be that it's a great source of income, a great way to meet new people, any answer is a valid answer!

For me, it was when I was at my local pool, using the lap lanes in my tail.

I came up at the end of the lane, and I saw a dad standing there with his little boy. They were standing back a bit, not too sure if they could approach or not. I took some non-verbal ques from the kid, he was holding all of his stuff, he was staring at the tail, and his dad was trying to push him forward a bit, so I waved over to him.

So he came over to the edge of the pool and gave me a strange look as he said "Are you a real mermaid?"

I laughed and replied "Of course! Are you a real human?"

He took a step back and pursed his lips and said "...Okay."

I later learned that his name was Ethan, and that he was 7 years old.

I sat up on the edge of the pool, and let him touch the tail, and lift it so he could see how heavy it was. (It's the tail in my icon, the Finfolk Dark Iris Fabric Tail, which is pretty heavy on it's own.)

It was just the look of wonder, and excitement that he showed that really solidified that I wanted to continue doing this sport. And his dad seemed more than relieved that I was nice about being approached, and that I didn't turn out to be a mean sea witch XD.

Who else has moments where they realize that this is the sport made for them? I'd love to read your replies!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    I discovered how much I love being a merman while diving in a reef and scaring a group of divers who were pointing at me and doing the "OK" sign at each other, I felt just like Madison from "Splash" when she was spotted by the biologist.

I've never had kids go WOW over me probably cause I'm a scruffy six feet tall dude, plus I don't go and wave hello to people lol I just surface to breath and dive again and stay in my lane.

I keep doing it cause I make silicone tails and because it's like a form of therapy for me, it helps me detoxify and replenish my emotional systems.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Iove that visual of the divers ^_^
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears