Thread: Wal-Mart Monofin?

Wal-Mart Monofin?

Has anyone encountered this? I've seen it in person, and I wasn't sure about the safety of this product since it looked very cheap.

https://www.aqualeisure.com/mermaid-mono-fin-plus

What are your thoughts? Good pool toy or no?

I havent seen it but following incase i do end up seeing it

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I've seen various kids mermaid monofins for years, whether it was this one or not idk because I never look hard (I know I see the Finis one often). I did spot this in the walmart app last nite tho. Safety of it still depends on the swimmer's ability and if the parents are dumb enough to buy it for a weak swimmer. I would be more pissy about the chance of the fin seperating while I am swimming.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Someone did a review of it. But honestly, I would stick to monofins with more push, like a Finis Foil or a Powerfins.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzIQnXXZwY&t=334s
    Formerly known as ireneho

I agree with you, Jaffa! But then, I usually do. (LOL) The Finis Foil works best for me, and it travels well.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by suzanne86 View Post
    I agree with you, Jaffa! But then, I usually do. (LOL) The Finis Foil works best for me, and it travels well.
    Thanks! Yes, that's why I love my Foil so much!
    Formerly known as ireneho

I just saw this on the shelf of Walmart tonight. I was thinking it looks similar to the Mermaid Linden monofin due to the fluke tips and monofin foot pocket design.

I think the concept is neat. I also like the 'idea' that maybe this would be helpful for kids to learn how to use a monofin. They could start off with the fins separated and then once they can swim with fins on they can click them together to use the monofin.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

The photo of the girl used on the packaging is stolen off mahina mermaid https://www.5littlemonkeys.com/lil-m...x20-13753.html

So, I did see it this summer at Walmart (it might be something stocked every summer, who knows). I got curious and bought it. It's cheap...and it's actually not as easy as people think of sliding apart. The plastic is durable, and it has individual foot pockets. It definitely is a cheaper, smaller version of a Mermaid Linden type fin. However, as the review mentioned: The straps do not stay on the feet.

If it is pulled apart and used as flippers, it turns your ankles inward.

The reason I was asking is that I have a niece that wanted to learn mermaiding, but I was afraid of her being unable to swim. I figured until I could assess her and teach proper technique, she could swim with individual fins that would still give the aesthetic. It was an interesting test, but I wouldn't recommend pulling the fins apart.

And yikes...I'll be contacting Mahina to let them know their image is stolen.