Thread: Tail sliding down

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Tail sliding down

Anyone got tips to keep my tails up around my belly button, and not slide down to my hips? My Fin Fun, Suntail, and Mertailor all do this (the Suntail least of all because it has a nice waistband). Is this a natural thing I am doomed to experience? I don't think size is an issue, altho I am borderline xs for Mertailor. They all are the right size and definitely have enough length.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I usually tuck into my swim trunks.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    sounds like you need to size down to accommodate for stretch. Or you can sew (or have someone else sew) a tighter elastic belt on the inside.

This happens to me when i get a new tail from fin fun but cant go a size down because then itd be too small for me. My mom just takes it in on the sides for me to make it so it doesn't slide down anymore.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Sew in a tighter elastic waistband.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    sounds like you need to size down to accommodate for stretch. Or you can sew (or have someone else sew) a tighter elastic belt on the inside.
    I tried sizing down in a Fin Fun before and busted the seams on the first swim lol. Playing around with elastic on one of my hand made tails is a good idea.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    mertailor is much much stretchier material than finfun you def wouldn't bust a seam

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    As someone who does not actually have a waist, this is a continual issue for me. Ive thought about it quite a bit.
    First, consider what holds a tail in place at all. Something that is stretched wants to contract. The part of your tail extending from your ankles to your hips can contact by sliding down. This is what causes tails to slip down in the first place.
    What stops it? The part of the tail from your hips to your waist. There, slipping down causes additional stretch. That part wants to slip up, to get to your thinner waist. The part of the tail above your waist pulls up, and the part below pulls down. We want the "pull up" part to win.
    The way to do this is to make sure the part above your waist has to stretch farther, or with more force, than the lower part. Take in the tail starting from the hip line and ending at the wait. For the first trial the amount you take in will start at zero at the hip line, increase to half an inch midway between the hip and the waist, then taper back to zero at the waist. Try that, see how it works and adjust as needed.
    Another way to get more force is as suggested above: Add an elastic band. Those are also somewhat rough, giving you some friction to help. That is what I do, as friction is most all I have to work with.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

I ended up testing an xtra small fin fun last week and it fit well. I know I said before I busted seams on an xsm, well I weighed more then (2014). I bought a new xsmall fin fun so I'll see if this stops the sliding-down issue.

I also have a small sparkle Suntail and it doesn't slide down at all. I wear medium from Suntail, or so I believe. The small fit so well but the sparkle/foil material seems to have WAY more stretch.

My Mertailor whimsys don't slide down as much, if at all, but they have a very thick waistband and come up very high over my navel which I like.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 06-30-2019 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Well I ended up testing an xtra small fin fun last week and it fit well. I know I said before I busted seams on an xsm, well I weighed more then. I bought a new xsmall fin fun so I'll see if this stops the sliding-down issue.

I also ended up with a small sparkle Suntail and it doesn't slide down at all. I wear medium from Suntail or so I believe. The small fit so well but it is also sparkle/foil and seems to have WAY more stretch.

My Mertailor whimsys don't slide down as much but they have a very thick waistband and come up very high over my navel which I like
    I got my xsmall FF Nebula and compared it to my, 'second hand' FF (Sunset Sky) aquired last week, and...the Sunset Sky is WAAAY stretched out compared to the Nebula!!! I tried the Nebula on and it still fits pretty well, so I'm hoping it'll all be okay. I don't have a FF monofin yet so I've yet to swim in it. (I sold off all my FF stuff a while back and regretted it basically.)

I forgot how high up Fin Fun comes on me...like up past my navel, which is great. My Suntail is always hanging down below my navel and to my hips. My bottoms show sometimes. When I first got my Suntail, it didn't slide down but it is now (stretching I guess since my weight is stable).

I want to swim this weekend in either of my new xsm FF tails and I hope that stops the sliding down issue.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk