Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Akula's first full silicone, individual scale tail!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod W0ЯЯC4T314's Avatar
    Just.. How? How are you making them this beautiful colour? What do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by W0ЯЯC4T314 View Post
    Just.. How? How are you making them this beautiful colour? What do you use?
    I'm using mica pigments in several different shades of purple, mixed into the silicone as I pour it! That way the color isn't just in the top layer, it's integrated and can never come off, even if the tail is scratched, scraped, or otherwise damaged.

How are you going to attach the scales to themselves/ the rest of the tail? Do you just secure them to the power mesh then pour extra silicone on the backside? I’m looking to make a individual scale tail soon myself. It seams perfect since I don’t have the space to make and pour a full scale sheet. I’m so excited to follow you on your tail making journey!
    Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Queenelizabeth View Post
    How are you going to attach the scales to themselves/ the rest of the tail? Do you just secure them to the power mesh then pour extra silicone on the backside? I’m looking to make a individual scale tail soon myself. It seams perfect since I don’t have the space to make and pour a full scale sheet. I’m so excited to follow you on your tail making journey!
    Thank you
    I'm in exactly the same boat with the space issue! That's why I'm doing it this way. I know it's more time-consuming, but it makes more sense given the space I have to work with.

To answer your question about attaching the scales, I'll be making a duct tape dummy of my lower body, stuffing it, and putting the power mesh base on it. Then I'll pin the scales in place and glue them down with silicone, and then when they're all on, I'll turn it inside-out on the duct tape dummy and put another layer of silicone on the inside. Finally, I'll do a coat of thinned silicone over the whole body. So basically, yes, you've got exactly the right idea!

never use ducktape when making a dragonskin silicone tail (or top) as the silicone won't cure. best is to use clear packing tape (it's also much cheaper)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fenicia View Post
    never use ducktape when making a dragonskin silicone tail (or top) as the silicone won't cure. best is to use clear packing tape (it's also much cheaper)
    I've heard that before! But I've done scale tests against duct tape and haven't had any issues with curing. I wonder if it depends on the brand of tape--maybe some have latex and some don't.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    I'm really liking what you have done so far! Looking forward to seeing the fluke sculpt!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Rain View Post
    I'm really liking what you have done so far! Looking forward to seeing the fluke sculpt!
    Thanks! I'm excited for the design. I got delayed by finding something good to sculpt it on and prepping the board I ended up with, but I should have progress to show soon!

Ugh, sorry for the radio silence re: the fluke. I'm still getting the board ready to sculpt on (I want it thoroughly coated in acrylic before I get started) and I can't spray any more coats on thanks to the weather. We got another bomb cyclone up here. Two days ago it was 71 degrees and I hadn't seen a cloud in 9 hours, and now there's ten inches of snow on the ground.

So until it's a little warmer and dryer, I'm stuck just making scales. I think my task today is to empty the bin I'm keeping them all in and sort them by color so I have an easier time when I start putting them on the body.