Thread: Any tips for a first time tail swim?

Junior Member North Pacific Pod mermomma44's Avatar

Any tips for a first time tail swim?

For the first time in almost 2 years, I went swimming today!! A mix of pregnancy/no pool/solo parenting has kept me out of the water, but I started again this morning, just using my Finis Foil monofin for laps. I'm working on getting my movements/endurance up to par before I go FULL TAIL!!!
    Hopefully, that day will come soon for this mer (working on getting the confidence as well) but does anyone have tips or tricks they would have known the first time they swam with their fabric tail? Thanks on advance, merbabes! 🧜🏼*♀️

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    No idea but getting back in can be hard so good job getting back in! Be careful to work your back to strengthen it out of third water as i managed to hurt myself lol
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post
    No idea but getting back in can be hard so good job getting back in! Be careful to work your back to strengthen it out of third water as i managed to hurt myself lol
    I definitely need to do that. I'm already feeling sore from today

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Before starting your laps, sit by the side of the pool, and breathe deep and slow, for about 10-15 mins. I call this, "slowing down my heartbeat". I do this so that I can swim at a relaxing pace and not get tired too easily.

I know mermaiding is an exciting sport, but just for safety, take your time, swim slow and take vitamins especially potassium and magnesium, and drink lots of water, take plenty of in breaks in between.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Junior Member Pod of The South Nixie Noele's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mermomma44 View Post
    For the first time in almost 2 years, I went swimming today!! A mix of pregnancy/no pool/solo parenting has kept me out of the water, but I started again this morning, just using my Finis Foil monofin for laps. I'm working on getting my movements/endurance up to par before I go FULL TAIL!!!
    Hopefully, that day will come soon for this mer (working on getting the confidence as well) but does anyone have tips or tricks they would have known the first time they swam with their fabric tail? Thanks on advance, merbabes! 🧜🏼*♀️

I just started swimming again last month, just in my Linden monofin. I was so out of shape and want to make sure I'm ready to carry my FinFolk tail.

I have loved the stars too fondly,
    To be fearful of the Night.

For my workouts with the Finis Foil I do sets of 600 yards, breaking each 600 into 3 x 200s. I start out each 600 with a 200 using a kickboard, varying the hands grip on the board and the position of the head either in or above the water. Then I follow with 200s of side dolphin kicking and back dolphin kicking. By starting out with board kicking followed by swimming, you warm up slowly before bringing up your swimming speed.

I started swimming again in general last week cos I have t swam for years. It took a lot for me to just go and get in as I'm a big girl with a lot of lack of body confidence issues so I kept putting it off for 2 weeks. Finally did it and im starting mermaid lessons 27th April with the Linden monofin. I cant wait I've wanted to do this for a year now. So excited

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    I started swimming again in general last week cos I have t swam for years. It took a lot for me to just go and get in as I'm a big girl with a lot of lack of body confidence issues so I kept putting it off for 2 weeks. Finally did it and im starting mermaid lessons 27th April with the Linden monofin. I cant wait I've wanted to do this for a year now. So excited

That's so awesome girl!! Be proud of yourself!
    I started coordinating with another mer in my area for meet ups! I'll have to get a sitter for mini mer, which is hard on the mom side of things, but I know taking the time to make myself flourish is important too.

Quote Originally Posted by mermomma44 View Post
    That's so awesome girl!! Be proud of yourself!
    I started coordinating with another mer in my area for meet ups! I'll have to get a sitter for mini mer, which is hard on the mom side of things, but I know taking the time to make myself flourish is important too.

Thanks so much I really need this. I haven't said anything g ro anyone for a while as I didnt want anyone saying it's for children, I'm too old etc