Thread: Painting a fabric tail with silicone?

Painting a fabric tail with silicone?

I love my orca tail from Mertailor and am going to try painting it with dragon skin for durability since they are discontinued. I will ask the person at Douglass & Sturgess, but anything I should know? I assume there is one that is thin enough to self level.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    I love my orca tail from Mertailor and am going to try painting it with dragon skin for durability since they are discontinued. I will ask the person at Douglass & Sturgess, but anything I should know? I assume there is one that is thin enough to self level.
    You will lose quite an amount of stretch, and the drying procedure would more or less be that of a silicone tail, not the ease of a fabric one anymore. And be careful that the front and the back don't fuse together when applying the silicone, for example by sticking some thick plastic sheet inside, below the area you are applying the silicone to.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    You will lose quite an amount of stretch, and the drying procedure would more or less be that of a silicone tail, not the ease of a fabric one anymore. And be careful that the front and the back don't fuse together when applying the silicone, for example by sticking some thick plastic sheet inside, below the area you are applying the silicone to.

Thank you!

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.53.35 PM.png
Views: 210
Size:  45.0 KB

The silicone ran a bit more than I expected, but from a normal distance it looks good!

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 10.53.35 PM.png
Views: 210
Size:  45.0 KB

The silicone ran a bit more than I expected, but from a normal distance it looks good!
    Nice! Good work!

Thank you both, and thank you Oliver for your suggestions!