Thread: Sequin Koi Inspired Tail NEW! Can resize to fit you.

Junior Member Pod of Cali
    Add Ginger on Facebook

Sequin Koi Inspired Tail NEW! Can resize to fit you.

Currently asking $1500 OBO including resizing and finishing. I really don't want this to go to waste! I will place it on ebay or etsy if anyone is interested to ensure that your informations is secure.

Hi there merfolk!

I have an unfinished sequin tail here that I've been working on for a while for myself. My son and I are moving to the other side of the United States and we can't take much with us, so I would really love to finish this up for someone who can use it and love it the way I do. I didn't measure before I made it and it turned out quite large, but I can take it in for someone smaller, or fit it to someone quite tall, including men (but note that there is a considerable amount of pink in the tail). I also was planning to make a custom monofin to go with it, which won't be happening now. Instead, I can fit the fluke to the monofin of your choosing. I am not including a monofin in this sale.

Before I continue, I want to let you know that I have been sewing for nearly 25 years, I've made prom dresses, wedding gowns, men's suits, and sew most of the clothes that my son and I wear. I've made bags, swimsuits, cushions, you name it... this is my first time making a mermaid tail, but I have faith in my work. While sequins will undoubtedly break and fall off as is the nature of sequin tails, I believe the tail will last you many years if properly cared for. Parts of the tail are unfinished because I will now be fitting it to the buyer instead of myself.

The photos do NOT do this tail justice at all. In sunlight this tail sparkles like a diamond mine and under water the colors shift like the 'scales' are alive and giving off their own light. I'm honestly a bit jealous that I won't get to see it in motion... alas.

The fluke is not sewn to the tail but will be attached with industrial velcro so that the fluke can easily be cleaned and dried and so that the mer wearing it can get their self to the water without assistance. This also allows the monofin to easily be removed and replaced.

For this price I am willing to do the following at no additional charge, and perhaps a week of working, which means a wait for you:

Take the tail in (make it smaller)

Fit the fluke to a smaller monofin

Add velcro to the fluke and tail so that the fluke can be easily removed

Add a full lining to fluke and tail in Lycra (swimsuit fabric) .

Add heavy duty elastic to the waist.

Reinforce all seems with heavy duty nylon webbing (the same stuff used for dog leashes, this adds very little weight and smooths and strengthens the seems)

Hand sew sequins over all seems to hide them

Hand sew sequins over any bald spots or exposed sewing, and replace any broken sequins I can find

Hand sew sequins to ensure that fluke and tail blend together seemlessly

For an additional charge I can do the following (Money will cover the cost of materials and a small fee for the labor involved. It takes special tools and considerable time, but I am making far under minimum wage. Please pm for exact prices if you require any of the following. And additional time will be required as well)

Add a zipper

Add clear shelf liner to cover the zipper and/or as decoration to the sides and/or fluke

Make a matching top in your size

Add neoprene to sides of tail and/or fluke to enlarge them. Please note that this will mean there will be additional seems which can weaken the tail/fluke and also means a lot more hand sewing for me. The charge is due to the fact that this tail is already made and is not at all a judgement on your size or shape. I ain't exactly Kate Moss m'self and I don't judge. I'm happy to do the work for someone who will love the tail, but you might prefer to pm me about making something specifically for you rather than enlarging this piece simply because it would be of inferior quality. The seems would not show on the outside of the tail, however. So if this is not something you will swim in often...

It is approximately 46 inches from natural waist to ankle, 44 inches at the hip, 26 inches at the calf, 18 inches at the ankle. The fluke is approximately 29 inches wide and 26 inches from ankle to the center bottom. It can be made smaller in any direction, so to speak.

I am happy to keep the buyer informed on daily progress on the tail.

Please pm me if you need any other measurements or better pictures (these were taken with a cell phone at the last minute, sorry) or if you have any questions.

I am asking $1500 USD obo. As stated this means I am making significantly less than minimum wage, the materials alone cost over $1000, but considering it is a new tail I feel it is fair that I make a small amount for over a months worth of full time work and the additional work I will be putting into it. Thank you so much for your consideration.

Son modeling it for scale.
    If photos are not showing then you are on mobile version of site. Select "Full Site" at the bottom, and then you will see images.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Ginger; 03-11-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Lowering price

Member Euro Pod
    oh my! that looks absolutely gorgeous! <3

Add Ginger on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Ocean View Post
    oh my! that looks absolutely gorgeous! <3
    Thank you so much! 🤗

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    so pretty!!!!!! Are the sequins glued or sewn on the the fabric and what type of fabric did you use?
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Add Ginger on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Clara View Post
    so pretty!!!!!! Are the sequins glued or sewn on the the fabric and what type of fabric did you use?
    Thank you for asking!
    This tail is made of 2mm neoprene and the sequins are Cartwright 22mm shells. They were sewn with a heavy duty industrial machine using heavy duty polyester marine grade thread. Once it is sized the remaining sequins will be hand sewn using the same thread. All of the seems will be reinforced with heavy duty nylon webbing and the same marine grade thread.