Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finfolk Fabric Tail Wear and tear?

Junior Member Pod of Cali Morgana1999's Avatar

Follow Morgana1999 on Tumblr

Finfolk Fabric Tail Wear and tear?

Has anyone else had a tearing problem in their Finfolk Fabric tail? I have the Dark Iris, I've only swam in it about 5-6 times since December, and there are now two large holes in the area where the small fins connect to the dorsal, where the seams have torn. I only notices because when I was washing it out after a swim, I noticed that a screw casing had come off, and I couldn't find half of it, so I looked around, and saw the holes on either side of the tail(my running theory is that the casing flew out from the hole, and is now floating around in a pool.) They are big enough for me to place three fingers inside of them.I have emailed them about the issue earlier this morning, and I'll give an update on what they say, but has anyone else had this problem?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yeah mine got holes after the first use sadly.

You can get replacement screws

Awe, that sucks!
    I am getting new screws, but the main problem is where the holes are placed, the mono-fin shouldn't be causing those. It's almost like when the water is going through the tail, there should be extra drainage on those smaller fins so that doesn't happen.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I don't have a Finfolk but I have heard of this when people use the wrong fin, like a Mahina. That's really disappointing to hear that it got messed up so quick. How big are the holes? Are they easily fixed?
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 03-20-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I don't have a Finfolk but I have heard of this when people use the wring fin, like a Mahina. That's really disappointing to hear that it got messed up so quick. How big are the holes? Are they easily fixed?
    They are pretty big. Big enough to fit three fingers through them and still have room on either side. I took it to an alteration place down the street from my house, and she said she can fix it with no problem, and she’s gonna go ahead and reinforce the rest of the fluke just in case (minus the drainage, which I showed her).

I did get an email back from Finfolk, but they didn’t really answer my question if that was normal for the type of fluke that I have. All they really said was ‘wear and tear is normal’ but the only solution that gave me was to move the screws that hold my monofin in, but my monofin was firmly in place when this happened. Just with WHERE the holes were, it’s impossible for my monofin to have caused them. I had an issue with one screw coming off, but I notice it immediately (the monofin will start to move around and it feels off) but that alone would not cause two giant holes to be formed so quickly, and especially after only 5-6 uses. That’s why I took to the message boards to see if anyone else had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

That's disgraceful wear and tear my butt. Think you all need to get together and put a massive complaint in. Definitely seems like a design fault to me. Hope you all get it sorted out

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Could it be the inserts that are causing the holes?

I would get on Finfolk's case too, it is likely not your fault it has holes. You don't pay $300 to use a tail a few times and have this crap happen. That isn't normal wear if you are treating the tail right. My Fin Funs last me 4 years with no holes and I literally have abused them

My seams love to come apart as well, but all of the repairs I have made stay in very nicely. I'm slowly changing my thread from lavender to black, which I prefer, so silver lining?

I didn't have to pay full price for it, it was a Christmas gift from my parents (my mom saw their black Friday sale, so even she didn't have to pay the full price, plus mine is a misprint), but even then, it's only the fabric that has a mark, that doesn't mean that the tail itself should be made so shottily. If I'm being honest, I'm really disappointed in this fabric tail. It's beautiful and all, but with how many problems I'm having with it, it almost doesn't matter how pretty it is if it doesn't work right.

Regarding the insert: I've taken it out about 3 times, the first was to put in all the screws, the second was when I was getting it altered, and the third is just recently so I can have the holes in the fluke fixed. And even when I put it back in, it's difficult sure, but the vinyl doesn't rub or chafe on that part of the tail. It is a corner piece, but it has a lot of clearance between the actual fabric, and where the vinyl is cut.

The reason I even noticed the holes was because I have a reoccurring issue with one of the screws that keeps popping off (yet another issue I have with the tail), and the screw came off in the middle of my swim, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I went home to see if I was just missing it, or if it got stuck in one of the drainage holes, only to see these huge holes, and no screw. I'm assuming it flew out when I was swimming and is now in a skimmer in said pool.

And regarding the screws, I've even had my dad use his own tools to try and tighten them in, but they keep coming off. I told Finfolk about this as well, and they said, and I quote "we recommend securing the monofin in place with the provided screws or by adding pieces of velcro or tying ribbon through the holes. This will assist in keep it in place to prevent some wear and tear. You can also add some neoprene glue on seams to help reinforce stitches." but the problem wasn't the monofin rubbing up against either side of the fluke, it was seams ripping open. Whenever I noticed that the monofin was loose, I took it off immediately, and in these tails, it is VERY easy to tell when the monofin isn't screwed in (well, for me anyways.).

I think next time I'm just gonna go ahead and get a Mertailor fabric tail. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I know I'll also have to save up for the Fantasea Too monofin, but that Sanke Butterfly Koi is practically screaming my name!

I'm getting my fabric tail from Vancouver mermaid. I've been following her for a year now and her tails are amazing. She designs and stitches them all herself by her self and is very particular.

I follow her on YouTube! She has some really great designs too!

Shes a digital artist by trade and I just love the designs shes come up with some truly amazing work. I cant wait till I can order one

Quote Originally Posted by Morgana1999 View Post
    I think next time I'm just gonna go ahead and get a Mertailor fabric tail. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I know I'll also have to save up for the Fantasea Too monofin, but that Sanke Butterfly Koi is practically screaming my name!
    You wouldn't regret Mertailor. The comfort of the fin and the realism of the skin are amazing.

A lot of people, including myself, Have replaced the screws with ribbons instead. That reduces a lot of friction and helps

I understand where you're coming from, and I have heard of this solution. The problem is, where the holes are placed, there is little to no friction from the insert. It's almost like there should be drainage there. I imagine it all came about from the amount of water going through the fluke, and not having another place to go, thus stretching and forcing the seams to break.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    You wouldn't regret Mertailor. The comfort of the fin and the realism of the skin are amazing.
    Couldn't afford one for the love of me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Couldn't afford one for the love of me lol.

If you got the Fantasea and the fabric tail for it (not the scuba knit) it would be about $250 which is cheaper than Finfolk. Or buy just the fin and do the skin later. The fin alone is absolutely worth it.

I’m looking at the Sanke Butterfly Koi Tail. For that I’d also need the fantasea too monofin, cause I don’t have it already (I wish I did though ) and that is already around $200 by itself, and the skin is another $300. I can hear my wallet crying even just thinking about it! Oh well. I’ll just wait till I start up my summer job again, and start saving up!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app