Thread: New to everything, but SUPER interested

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Tsukino's Avatar
    Add Tsukino on Facebook
    Visit Tsukino's Youtube Channel

New to everything, but SUPER interested

Hi everyone! I guess people call me Tsu in short (course i haven't a Mer-name yet... *sadface*). Ive had a passive interest in Mermaiding since .... well around 12 when i could initially swim more than just in a small pool. I lived in Hawaii for a large portion of my life and wanted to be a part of the waters since diving in the ocean. Unfortunately Ive moved so much that i haven't the time nor the energy to fully sit down and start making a passive wish of mine come true.
    I was always a Disney nerd starting with the classic Alice in wonderland, Peter Pan buff. ive been more interested in the Peter Pan Mers than TLM ones for some reason. Maybe cause of the mischievous nature of those ones i wouldn't know! XD

But now that i've settled in a little, In the Denver/Aurora area (surprisingly there aren't many Pods cause i couldn't find a single one amidst the fact i live only a few miles from the Denver Aquarium..... where yal at??) , I want to join a group, get some help with starting and what not. I've been reading/watching/researching Mer-practicings and i'm ready to at least get some physical incite. The most recent thing i've been doing are breathing exercises so i can last a bit underwater for starters.

With the spring/summer season coming up, i figured now is the best time to at least feel a bit more natural in going public pools with my knowledge... and perhaps with a few others who are closeby?

Tails for me have always been interesting, mythical beings have been an everyday daydream for me, and since i cant fly and sleep in flowers like in dreams, I can swim! Yaaay! Tails look just as pretty as a variety of wings!
    But im also a bit scared, Im african american, and have super short hair. Im not the stereotypical Long hair'd dreamy Mer. But when i get really into it i REALLY want to try looking like an african cichlid (peacock variant) as it would probably match my darker skin tone and I like Orange and blacks!

goodness, id say more but im extremely nervous! but hello from a person starting from almost scratch! o/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Please don't worry about skin tone or hair. If someone says something, punch them in the throat. I shave my hair to a 3 and I am a woman. No one has ever said anything negative about being a short haired mer to me. They are too busy looking at the tail

Add Tsukino on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Please don't worry about skin tone or hair. If someone says something, punch them in the throat. I shave my hair to a 3 and I am a woman. No one has ever said anything negative about being a short haired mer to me. They are too busy looking at the tail
    Thank you! As am I... Ive always been under the notion that If i have short hair im somewhat dismissed. on top of being african american. ive tried to look for a few to boost my confidence but im still a bit scared.

I have really short hair too and shaved no 2 on the left side and I'm a big girl so dont be afraid, live your dream. I know it's hard when you haven't got anyone else with you, I'd love another active mermaid to be living near me but there isn't so have to do it alone

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome to the Mernetwork

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Member Euro Pod
    welcome!

Having short hair or not doesn't matter, just be yourself

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Kwilena's Avatar
    Add Kwilena on Google+
    G'day from Australia. I'm a woman and I have short hair. At a recent mermaid academy class all the other mermaids - and my merman husband who also has long hair, were all bemoaning how much of a nuisance it is under the water, and when you get out.
    I tried not to laugh. I look rocking and you will too.
    Well, I'm feeling pretty swish!

Hi Tsu! I’m pretty new to the whole mermaid thing too. But Ive swam like a mermaid in the pool since I was young and loved it! Always wished I could actually get a tail and flippers. I’ve just recently decided I want to make this dream come true too! I’m in the Denver area. I just joined the Colorado Mermaid Pod on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/977662...group_activity. It’s pretty active from what I can tell being there a few weeks. You should join us! Let’s figure out this mermaid thing together!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Add Tsukino on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaidkatharine View Post
    Hi Tsu! I’m pretty new to the whole mermaid thing too. But Ive swam like a mermaid in the pool since I was young and loved it! Always wished I could actually get a tail and flippers. I’ve just recently decided I want to make this dream come true too! I’m in the Denver area. I just joined the Colorado Mermaid Pod on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/977662...group_activity. It’s pretty active from what I can tell being there a few weeks. You should join us! Let’s figure out this mermaid thing together!
    Oh! really?? Fantastic! Its better to do something new with another person! Ive been pretty lonely thinking about it so far and if there were people active in my area then i wont feel as bad! I'll totally try to join it seems like a great place to start! Thank you so much! any and all help is appreciated!

Mers are all colors and shapes. Don't worry too much about your skintone and hair. The tail is the real status symbol lol (I kid, I kid, but really!)

Hi Tsukino!

I can totally relate to this post as I just started mermaiding about a month ago... if that... haha! But already it's been so much fun for me! Some of the things I did to get started was look into buying a monofin. There are so many different types and a lot of people put reviews of the different ones available on youtube. It's also important to think about what you're looking for when you swim (do you want to go fast, is your main priority comfort, etc.) My first monofin was the mahina because I wanted a monofin that was powerful. But let me warn you, it's massive, and also not the most comfortable!

Monofins are easier to slip out of than tails so it's really good practice for swimming with your legs together if you've never done that before. Once you get used to your monofin, then I'd recommend a fabric tail. Finfun has really great affordable tails and what I have now.

As far as appearances go, I think what I love most about the mer community is it's diversity. Being a mermaid is about doing what you love and expressing yourself in a really creative and unique way. You don't have to fit the stereotypical mermaid look at all!! <3 But if you want long hair while you swim, you can always purchase a wig (there's videos on youtube of how to keep a wig on while swimming!)

Anyway, welcome to the mermaiding community! I wish you all the best as you begin your mer-transformation <3

Much love,
    Mermaid Kalila <3