Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, what do you suggest?

Hello, what do you suggest?

Hi im really need to getting Into being a mermaid. so I wanted to ask what js a good monofin for lakes?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    There are so many to choose from. All of them have pros and cons. It just depends what you're aiming for.
    Do you want speed or do you want to sit around in a pretty tail? Or maybe a mix of both?

Finis has a range of monofins for all levels of swimmer, then there's Mahina Merfins, Mertailor makes his own monofins, the Hydra, and other professional monofins (these are very expensive! Upwards of $300+).

Then there are what I call, Play Tails, not really for doing laps but just enough propulsion to get you through the water and still have that fish shaped fluke. Examples are Fin Fun, Magictail, Sun Tail.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I use finfun

I've got the sweam hydra and the Linden monofins. Ordering the Finis Luna tomorrow and then the Mahina. I think it's good to have a couple different monofins cos they fit in different tail skins and they all swim differently as in comfort and propulsion

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    There are so many to choose from. All of them have pros and cons. It just depends what you're aiming for.
    Do you want speed or do you want to sit around in a pretty tail? Or maybe a mix of both?

Finis has a range of monofins for all levels of swimmer, then there's Mahina Merfins, Mertailor makes his own monofins, the Hydra, and other professional monofins (these are very expensive! Upwards of $300+).

Then there are what I call, Play Tails, not really for doing laps but just enough propulsion to get you through the water and still have that fish shaped fluke. Examples are Fin Fun, Magictail, Sun Tail.
    I want speed and strength I don't want a play tail and my swimming is like....ok-ish lol

Junior Member Pod of Texas LunaRose's Avatar
    Follow LunaRose On Twitter Add LunaRose on Facebook
    Well in a lake... With power... I think I'd suggest a Lindon monofin... You can get it on Amazon for about ..$75 ... And it can fit in a finfun tail skin but just be aware if will stretch your tail out because it is a little bigger ... But you can always make a tail to go with it ... I suggest Vancouver mermaids tutorial on how to sew one up if you wanna go that route so that you have a perfect fit

Quote Originally Posted by LunaRose View Post
    Well in a lake... With power... I think I'd suggest a Lindon monofin... You can get it on Amazon for about ..$75 ... And it can fit in a finfun tail skin but just be aware if will stretch your tail out because it is a little bigger ... But you can always make a tail to go with it ... I suggest Vancouver mermaids tutorial on how to sew one up if you wanna go that route so that you have a perfect fit

Okay thank you very much

I would personally go with the Mahina. The propulsion and power I get from mine is amazing, but only if you are confident in your swimming and have the dolphin kick down. If you wear scuba socks (which is usually a must) they can be a bit difficult to slip quickly out of.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I used my Finfun in lakes for years. Very comfortable, but the propulsion is so-so. Great for beginners I think

Quote Originally Posted by Genie624 View Post
    I want speed and strength I don't want a play tail and my swimming is like....ok-ish lol
    For speed and strength the mahina will probably be the one for you

Forgot to mention I did go the lake in my Mahija but it hurts my feet and rubs my ankles. So I didn't use it much. It's not uncommon for that to happen. I have not used my Fantasea in the lake yet, but it has great propulsion, is so easy to swim in, and doesn't hurt my feet. You do have to be mindful of the silicone and I imagine mine will have some dangerous encounters with the lake come May.

The fantasia looks too floppy for me. Buy some neoprene socks or booties for your mahina if you haven't already. I've been told it's a complete game changer

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    The fantasia looks too floppy for me. Buy some neoprene socks or booties for your mahina if you haven't already. I've been told it's a complete game changer

I always wore socks with my Mahina and my feet still bruised. They were 3mm neoprene. I sold it. The Fantasea is floppy silicone but it is definitely the best monofin I have used yet.

So with my Mahina I got the medium which I believe is 8 1/2 to 10 1/2. My foot size is an 8 and I found that while I had plenty of foot room on the inside the opening was really tight. I used a few cans of corn and put them in the openings and left it there a week and they stretched it out a bit to make it a bit more comfortable. Never experienced any bruising just some redness on the tops of my feet after taking it off. I recently got another medium Mahina for free and decided to ask my husband if he could think of a way to get the openings even more stretched and he got the same cans of corn and crammed them in the Mahina as far as he could get them and then used a cheap heat gun to heat it. After letting them set a while and letting the rubber cool we took out the cans and now it fits so so so so much better. A lot easier getting my feet with scuba socks in and out. Sometimes I wonder if getting the large would have been better, and if any of my others end up breaking I might do that just to see. I do suggest getting a size up if you are on the border of two sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalynn View Post
    So with my Mahina I got the medium which I believe is 8 1/2 to 10 1/2. My foot size is an 8 and I found that while I had plenty of foot room on the inside the opening was really tight. I used a few cans of corn and put them in the openings and left it there a week and they stretched it out a bit to make it a bit more comfortable. Never experienced any bruising just some redness on the tops of my feet after taking it off. I recently got another medium Mahina for free and decided to ask my husband if he could think of a way to get the openings even more stretched and he got the same cans of corn and crammed them in the Mahina as far as he could get them and then used a cheap heat gun to heat it. After letting them set a while and letting the rubber cool we took out the cans and now it fits so so so so much better. A lot easier getting my feet with scuba socks in and out. Sometimes I wonder if getting the large would have been better, and if any of my others end up breaking I might do that just to see. I do suggest getting a size up if you are on the border of two sizes.
    That is such a good idea. I do love the shape of the mahina and so many people say they love the propulsion. I'm a UK size 7 which is a US 9, so if I got the medium and stretch it out like this I'll be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Dont know whether to get a mahina or not

A lot of people swear by the Mahina but I warn everyome about the pain anyway. Two podmates have a Mahina and they experience the same issues I do (at least for the bruising-on me it is my ankles, a spot on top of my foot, amd toes).

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    A lot of people swear by the Mahina but I warn everyome about the pain anyway. Two podmates have a Mahina and they experience the same issues I do (at least for the bruising-on me it is my ankles, a spot on top of my foot, amd toes).
    So how can you reduce the bruising then get another tail or is there something you can put on before you get in the water to not it make it hurt as much?

Sent from Ciel Phantomhive

I have pretty slim heels so perhaps that is why it doesn't bruise me. Everyone has different feet. If I was a US size 9 I probably would go with the large. If it ends up being a little loose you could always wear thicker scuba socks, but since the openings are tighter than the inside I don't think you would have that problem. Also AquaMermaid did a review on YouTube and I believe she said she was a size US 9 and said the large fit pretty well on her. Check out her video on YouTube.