Thread: Zero Waste Mers

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Zero Waste Mers

I guess this is a good place to stick this...any zero waste mers here? I have started to be plastic free just this week but I am obviously not anywhere zero waste. I really don't think it will be too hard. I've been vegan five years so I know all about cutting stuff out of my life. My first goal is abolishing all single use plastics and then I will replace plastic households items (like toiletries) as they become empty.

Not quite zero waste! I try to have a low waste life style though. Like you, I am slowly phasing single use items out of my life for sustainable, reusable ones!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Hmm zero waste?

I use a menstrual cup instead of buying the other stuff that goes into landfills. I've saved so much money too from not buying the products every month.

Yep yep. That's my zero waste.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I'm slowly getting there. It has such a small impact on my life, but a big one for the planet.
    I've cut out most of my plastic for my groceries by using bulk food stores, making a lot of my own dips and snacks, and taking my own containers to the butcher.
    My big downfall is takeout! I haven't found many places around me willing to put their goodies into my own containers. I understand it's a health and safety issue, but man I wish it would change!
    I've also been using a cup for a few years now, and apart from the huge difference it makes financially, it's so much less waste!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod swordwhale's Avatar
    Follow swordwhale On Twitter Add swordwhale on Facebook
    Follow swordwhale on Tumblr Visit swordwhale's Youtube Channel
    I don't do much fast food at all, but places like Subway, Arby's and a couple others package stuff in recyclable paper, not plastic.

There is a local Aldi's which not only has good stuff at a cheeeeeep price, they don't play the coupon game (everything's just a fair price) and they make you bring your own bags.

I am notorious for forgetting my bags... so I often tell the checkout person to NOT bag it, and I put it back in the cart and off load into the van that way.

I'm beginning to think I should request no straws when I order a drink. They create a ridiculous amount of unnecessary waste.

We do have recycling where I live.

Another thing is education and volunteering: do as much of that as you can. Help .orgs teach both kids and adults, help in a cleanup or removal of invasive species...

and something people don't think of a lot is planting native species and minimizing lawn. Grass is pointless unless you're feeding livestock (I have two geriatric mustangs who are eating most of my smallish property, what's not pasture is hay field). I've let the backyard grow up into a meadow (and planted a couple more natives back there), planted trees in the small front yard (I can run a slalom around them when I mow) and vegetables (especially squash, it's easy to grow) along the edges. This creates habitat for everything from birds to bunnies to the hawks that eat them, to foxes, raccoons and opossums. I burn less gas mowing (yes, I have to use a lawn tractor, I can no longer push a mower).

I have to mention dog and human powered sports too. I live in a rural area where we see far too many kids on motorbikes and ATVs. Put your kid and yourself on a bike, scooter (kick bike), skiis, or run. If you harness your dog to yourself or bike, you can do canicross, ski-joring, bike-joring, scootering or mush on a kicksled (a small sled you shove along with a kick). Or take a nature hike at your local park, they often have nature programs, free.

Use your mermaiding skills to advocate for a better environment. There's a local professional, the Chesapeake Mermaid who's done books and does educational programs.

Living creates waste, the trick is to be like Ma Nature and recycle it all somehow. And minimize stuff that can't be recycled.

And advocate for ways to recycle that!

Also a shout out to anyone kayaking or sailing instead of using powerboats.

And pleeeeeeeeease Goddess BAN jet-skis...

Member Euro Pod
    I use a cup too. damn, I should've bought one way earlier. they are very convenient, great for swimming, cheap and over all way better for the environment. furthermore I just try to buy products which are not packed in plastic and such, and grow most of my vegetables myself. much tastier than those from the store, and it's fun to do aswell! : )

I fortunately have passed beyond the age where this is an issue, but now that I know, I will pass the knowledge on to younger mermaids.

I'll also recommend the backyard livestock, if you have the room. Chickens (ducks are even cooler, eggs are better) are easy and also fun pets. Goats browse weeds and give great milk. They are also basically dogs with hooves so can be taught all kinds of useful tricks.

There are small versions of animals we think of as large, like mini cows (though I'd rather have a big goat), and mini ponies (aka lawn mowers).

And while the breeders of "mini horses" will proclaim that they are HORSES dammit, anything under 14.2 hands is a pony. Period. They are all horses. Some are just smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by swordwhale View Post

Grass is pointless unless you're feeding livestock (I have two geriatric mustangs who are eating most of my smallish property, what's not pasture is hay field). I've let the backyard grow up into a meadow (and planted a couple more natives back there), planted trees in the small front yard (I can run a slalom around them when I mow) and vegetables (especially squash, it's easy to grow) along the edges. This creates habitat for everything from birds to bunnies to the hawks that eat them, to foxes, raccoons and opossums. I burn less gas mowing (yes, I have to use a lawn tractor, I can no longer push a mower).
    I agree with that. My family has a huge backyard which was covered with grass mostly. Just recently I decided to make a garden and plant a couple of trees there. I managed to plant some vegetables and fruits, but there's still plenty of grass left. My dad has a lawn tractor too, he often uses a lawn sweeper as mentioned on Bumbercroptimes too. The thatch can be kept and used later.