Thread: Will this color show underwater?

Will this color show underwater?

So I'm shopping around for a tailskin and I really like this one but I'm afraid that the color might not show underwater. I know some oranges turn grey underwater since orange and blue are complimentary :/
    Does anyone have this skin and know how it looks while swimming?

Thanks! Name:  Screenshot_20190331-204603_Chrome.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  36.5 KB

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

So I'll preface this by saying it's been a while since I took physics, but if I'm remembering correctly, and my 2-minutes of research was correct, the basics are:

1) Generally, water is colorless. The appearance of color is due to the reflection of light.

2) Water appears blue due to reflecting shorter wavelengths (like blue), where long wavelengths (like red) are absorbed. This is most apparent in large bodies of water.

3) The light that is absorbed is still visible to the eye up to several feet under the water surface. You actually have to swim quite deep for the effects of the reflected color to disappear (being able to see the color underwater). I read somewhere that red begins to disappear between 10 and 20 feet, and yellow is closer to 40 or 50.

So, unless you are swimming in a body of water that is actually tinted with a blue or green dye, I don't believe in shallow depths you would see any notable color change to red or orange. If you are swimming in depths that the color is being absorbed, and is not reflected, then the color of the tail may appear off. This can be corrected with color filters on a camera and in post-editing.

I hope this helps.
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Danielle View Post
    So I'll preface this by saying it's been a while since I took physics, but if I'm remembering correctly, and my 2-minutes of research was correct, the basics are:

1) Generally, water is colorless. The appearance of color is due to the reflection of light.

2) Water appears blue due to reflecting shorter wavelengths (like blue), where long wavelengths (like red) are absorbed. This is most apparent in large bodies of water.

3) The light that is absorbed is still visible to the eye up to several feet under the water surface. You actually have to swim quite deep for the effects of the reflected color to disappear (being able to see the color underwater). I read somewhere that red begins to disappear between 10 and 20 feet, and yellow is closer to 40 or 50.

So, unless you are swimming in a body of water that is actually tinted with a blue or green dye, I don't believe in shallow depths you would see any notable color change to red or orange. If you are swimming in depths that the color is being absorbed, and is not reflected, then the color of the tail may appear off. This can be corrected with color filters on a camera and in post-editing.

I hope this helps.
    As Danielle said, it won't affect the colours unless you are swimming either deeper (5m to 10m down and more) or in a pool with a lot of blue tiles.

When going down the water column, the colours start disappearing starting with the longer wavelengths. So red will be the first to go (startig to get noticeable at about 5m to 10m), then yellow, green and finally blue. At least as long you are in crystal clear (sea)water, otherwise, especially in fresh water, the ever present algaea will give the water a greenish tint, even if the visibility is good. This will act a little like a colour filter emphasizing the green instead of the blue and kicking in much more shallow (3m or so, depending how much algea). But red will go first nevertheless.

When swimming in a blue tiled pool, vertical absorption of colour is not that much of a problem, as they are usually not more than 5m deep and have super clear filtered water. What will matter is the colour spill, as the light scattered back from the blue tiles has a blue tint, which emphasizes blue over red and will "spill" on your tail. Colour absorption of the water itself will matter though, even in a pool, when doing shots from a horizontal distance. There too red will start getting filtered at a distance of about 6m to 10m between you and the camera.

So, to sum it up, yes, the colours will start to get lost, but is a very gradual process and won't matter in a pool or when swimming near the surface (about 2m to 3m down).
    When doing photoshoots, especially at depth using only ambient light, this is another issue, and there too Danielle is correct. An underwater photographer will know about it and how to counteract this. Colour filters and post-production will only get there up to a certain point, though. Especially at depth you have to bring your own light with you and be more or less in the limelight, so to speak. And then having a tail with your colour scheme will be of advantage, as you are the only thing with reddish tints to an otherwise blueish background. You will literally pop out and shine, but not so much that it looks artificial.

So, time to stop rambling, the post is long enough already. Long things short, don't think too much about the colours in the water, choose the scheme you like.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    Hey i got the moon kelp. Where are you swimming, a pool? I have only swam in it once, this weekend. The color shows up no problem. I wouldn't worry about blending in unless it's all blue. I got the electric blue Whimsy from Mertailor and I pratically loose my lower half in pix. I have no pix of my moon kelpy. Either way both colors are amazing no matter where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Hey i got the moon kelp. Where are you swimming, a pool? I have only swam in it once, this weekend. The color shows up no problem. I wouldn't worry about blending in unless it's all blue. I got the electric blue Whimsy from Mertailor and I pratically loose my lower half in pix. I have no pix of my moon kelpy. Either way both colors are amazing no matter where you are.
    Thanks!
    I was considering the electric teal style.. it is VERY blue so good thing I'm leaning towards moon kelp now the pool I swim at is completely blue with blue walls in the building and poor lighting so it'd probably be bad haha
    Do you have the whimsy or the fantasea version?

Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    As Danielle said, it won't affect the colours unless you are swimming either deeper (5m to 10m down and more) or in a pool with a lot of blue tiles.

When going down the water column, the colours start disappearing starting with the longer wavelengths. So red will be the first to go (startig to get noticeable at about 5m to 10m), then yellow, green and finally blue. At least as long you are in crystal clear (sea)water, otherwise, especially in fresh water, the ever present algaea will give the water a greenish tint, even if the visibility is good. This will act a little like a colour filter emphasizing the green instead of the blue and kicking in much more shallow (3m or so, depending how much algea). But red will go first nevertheless.

When swimming in a blue tiled pool, vertical absorption of colour is not that much of a problem, as they are usually not more than 5m deep and have super clear filtered water. What will matter is the colour spill, as the light scattered back from the blue tiles has a blue tint, which emphasizes blue over red and will "spill" on your tail. Colour absorption of the water itself will matter though, even in a pool, when doing shots from a horizontal distance. There too red will start getting filtered at a distance of about 6m to 10m between you and the camera.

So, to sum it up, yes, the colours will start to get lost, but is a very gradual process and won't matter in a pool or when swimming near the surface (about 2m to 3m down).
    When doing photoshoots, especially at depth using only ambient light, this is another issue, and there too Danielle is correct. An underwater photographer will know about it and how to counteract this. Colour filters and post-production will only get there up to a certain point, though. Especially at depth you have to bring your own light with you and be more or less in the limelight, so to speak. And then having a tail with your colour scheme will be of advantage, as you are the only thing with reddish tints to an otherwise blueish background. You will literally pop out and shine, but not so much that it looks artificial.

So, time to stop rambling, the post is long enough already. Long things short, don't think too much about the colours in the water, choose the scheme you like.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thanks for your response! Dang I'm being educated haha

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Danielle View Post

I hope this helps.
    Thanks! Everything I know about colors is from art school so it's not always applicable in all scenarios lol

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySiren View Post
    Thanks!
    I was considering the electric teal style.. it is VERY blue so good thing I'm leaning towards moon kelp now the pool I swim at is completely blue with blue walls in the building and poor lighting so it'd probably be bad haha
    Do you have the whimsy or the fantasea version?

My teal is in the Whimsy (with the side fins) and my Kelp is the normal Fantasea fabric. The Kelp is my back up to the teal. I muuuuuch prefer the Whimsy due to the heavier material and it has a very nice once inch waistband. It also hides legs/knees better.

My teal is in the Whimsy (with the side fins) and my Kelp is the normal Fantasea fabric. The Kelp is my back up to the teal. I muuuuuch prefer the Whimsy due to the heavier material and it has a very nice once inch waistband. It also hides legs/knees better.
    I'm really tempted to get a whimsy but the price makes me cringe a bit. I'm sure it's well worth it, I'm just cheap af lol

True, only problem is I only have the fantasea one monofin and I'm not a huuuuge fan of the finned skins for that fin.
    I'd love to get the fantasea two but if I got it and a skin it'd be about $600 and thats a bit pricey for me

I'd love the fantasea 2 with the kracken tail skin. I'm deffo gonna poo into his shop when I'm in Florida in September

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    I'd love the fantasea 2 with the kracken tail skin. I'm deffo gonna poo into his shop when I'm in Florida in September

Jealous! I'd love to visit his place is person

True, only problem is I only have the fantasea one monofin and I'm not a huuuuge fan of the finned skins for that fin.
    I'd love to get the fantasea two but if I got it and a skin it'd be about $600 and thats a bit pricey for me

Yeah I am hoping more finned stuff comes out for the original Fantasea. I tried my friend's Too last weekend and it is something to experience. Not sure if I'd like it. It has a hell of a push but it's heavy! 16 lbs I think and even in water you can kinda feel the weight.
    Last edited by Trade Winds; 04-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Yeah I am hoping more finned stuff comes out for the original Fantasea. I tried my friend's Too last weekend and it is something to experience. Not sure if I'd like it. It has a hell of a push but it's heavy! 16 lbs I think and even in water you can kinda feel the weight.
    Yeah I've been considering selling my og fantasea and getting the Too but I'm afraid I won't like it as much and then I'll be stuck with it lol

I deffo wouldn't be able to put one in my case and fly it back to the UK lol. Wont have any more spare weight for clothes lol

Yeah I've been considering selling my og fantasea and getting the Too but I'm afraid I won't like it as much and then I'll be stuck with it lol

My other concern with the Too is getting it in the fluke pocket. I struggle so much with the original that I know I'll die trying to fit the Too in there.

My other concern with the Too is getting it in the fluke pocket. I struggle so much with the original that I know I'll die trying to fit the Too in there.
    I think theres an invisible zip on the side. The Linden will be so much easier to get in the fabric tail than the fantisea 2 monofin lol

Oh yeah they both have a zipper. They fill the pocket completely and the Too has all those extra little spines which I imagine makes getting it in the tail hard. Thank god they shipped my teal with the fin inside already.