Thread: Contacts

Contacts

Can you where contacts underwater , And if so do you have to get specific ones ?

Sent from Ciel Phantomhive

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    They'll fall out. Even the ones that are made for underwater, will fall out.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Do you want to use them with goggles or a mask or without? If using them without, there is some risk of the lenses getting washed out of your eyes, especially when swimming quite fast. It can be reduced by not opening the eyes too much, but there is still a risk of losing them. Furthermore, especially in a pool, chlorine and other stuff will irritate your eyes in addition to the lenses. You will have to clean them very carefully after swimming, so the best option for this would be one-day lenses. And they won't help your vision underwater anyway, only at the surface.

When using them with a mask or goggles, the risk of losing the lenses is way, way smaller. And here you will have the clear benefit of correct vision both underwater and above.

From my personal experience, I use contacts both when swimmimg and when diving and have lost about three lenses in some five, six years. None of those got lost while diving, even if I took the mask off underwater and swam without it. The lenses I did lose got lost when swimming in the pool without goggles, either when jumping in with my eyes open or when going fast underwater with a monofin, again with the eyes wide open.

Currently when I go just swimming in the pool I usually refrain from putting them in, as my vision is good enough to get around in the pool without. But when diving I use one-day contacts, so if there should be any contamination of the lenses it won't matter so much as they are diacarded anyway. And if they should get lost, it is not that much of a financial desaster. But as said, I only lost three in about six years.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Honestly I wouldn't bother risking your lenses and more importantly your eyes, if you wear them you'll loose them and what's to say that the chlorine isn't gonna damage them. I'm going to get prescription goggles.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    The truly amphibious sclera contacts are in development but not ready yet :/
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Im going to get it eventually, I've been waiting for safety to get better and prices to drop. My grandma had the original lasix, my mom had it in 200x, and my fiance's friend had it about a decade ago. Its been interesting to see the fallout. The original techniques were awful. My mom still sees pretty good but is now far sighted but used to be legally blind like me but worse so shes still really happy with it. I assume my fiances friend is still doing well i haven't seen him in a while or asked

I'm legally blind without correction to the point i can't wear even the most expensive glasses bc they are STILL coke bottles and fish bowl terribly!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post

they are STILL coke bottles and fish bowl terribly!
    I'm the same but I wear high index glasses, and have prescription goggles. My prescription per eye is, -11.75 and -12.

Do you not have the option to get glasses and goggles in your prescription?

Nerdmaid faith swims in her glasses sometimes. Maybe get one of those toggle things that go on the arms of your glass and toggle tighten them to your head so they dont fall off if you know what I mean lol

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Nerdmaid faith swims in her glasses sometimes. Maybe get one of those toggle things that go on the arms of your glass and toggle tighten them to your head so they dont fall off if you know what I mean lol

Glasses are only good for seeing on land. The lenses don't work the same way as goggles where you'd get clear vision in and out of the water.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    google acanthamoeba, then decide if you want to risk using contacts underwater- with or without goggles.

I don't recommend it.

I will definitely be looking into perscription goggles, i haven't had a chance to price them out
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

I know specsavers in the UK are £25 for a pair which is really cheap so I'll be ordering mine next weekend

Before Lasik I used to wear contacts under my goggles (until I got aquasphere prescription goggles). I could see about 6" without them and it made me vulnerable and disoriented to be at a pool and unable to read signs, or at the ocean and unable to see people. But, as Merman Oliver said, it is still blurry underwater unless you have a mask or goggles. I had 3 week lenses and if water touched them I would discard them so that my eye wasn't exposed to extra chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    Before Lasik I used to wear contacts under my goggles (until I got aquasphere prescription goggles). I could see about 6" without them and it made me vulnerable and disoriented to be at a pool and unable to read signs, or at the ocean and unable to see people. But, as Merman Oliver said, it is still blurry underwater unless you have a mask or goggles. I had 3 week lenses and if water touched them I would discard them so that my eye wasn't exposed to extra chlorine.
    I wouldn't take the risk because you'd only need a droplet of water to touch the lenses. There are custom lenses made to your exact prescription and there are many styles to choose from. You can even decorate them with shells and stuff to make it more mermaidy.

I recently started wearing multifocal contact lenses. They're amazing. But my eye doctor was very clear (without my asking, as in my case, as I thought it was a given based on I don't know what- I must have heard it somewhere) that they shouldn't be worn even in the shower, and in water they'd be useless and gone quick. Maybe he mentioned it because a lot of people are asking, due to his office being within view of the ocean and so his clients are often in the water. But I had not looked into goggles over them yet... ugh, I need LASIK. I do believe I'll be looking into that. Meanwhile, I'll look into prescription goggles, which won't be easy because I can barely stand the way they feel, but we do what we must.