Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid Parties Review (pic heavy)

Mermaid Parties Review (pic heavy)

I finally received my Mermaid Parties tail today!
    Here is my review, it is picture heavy.

This is the box it arrived in, it was built by her to accommodate the tail. It was wrapped in wax paper, presumably to prevent sticking.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_140944.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  50.0 KB

It came with a set of instructions for care, an invitation to enter a contest for a mermaid parties calender spot, and a waver for the picture entered.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_141047.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  43.4 KB

The tail looked lovely upon removing it from the packaging and laying it out on my floor for closer inspection.
    The latex was soft and supple and there were no major sticking spots.
    The Spines were pressed down against the tail to allow flat shipping but when I pulled them up i didnt have any sticking problems.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_141801.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  52.0 KB

The ends of the fluke were a little wobbly from being squished in the box a bit but this didnt bother me at all.
    I did note however that the ends of the fluke were not painted as the rest of the tail. In all honesty this didn't bother me, I was planning on having to do a little customization to the tail no matter what state I received it in. I'm just that kind of person.. I customize everything.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_141849.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  60.6 KB

Naturally I HAD to try it on immediately.
    Everything fit very well and snug. The only discomfort I found was that the inner edge of the material that was encasing my feet for the monofin (around the ankles) was a smidge too tight. I took some scissors to it and snipped a small line in it to allow a little give at the ankle.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_143409.jpg
Views: 1625
Size:  63.6 KB

Here is the back of the tail. I managed to pull the spines a little more straight than they were but this is where I ran into some trouble.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_143106.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  56.3 KB

The cloth that was making the webbing for the spines was pulling too taught. Me and my big butt
    Name:  IMG_20120407_143125.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  68.3 KB

This is the foot spine, at kept pulling itself over because the material wasnt quite stretchy enough for that kind of placement.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_143139.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  50.4 KB

Which turned into another problem. I dont think the spines were cured quite enough so they had stuck to the edge of themselves on the tail and when my butt and foot went in and stretched the material out, it pulled away from the tail.
    Name:  IMG_20120407_165755.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  65.6 KB Name:  IMG_20120407_165916.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  75.2 KB

Here is the fluke with my feet inside
    Name:  IMG_20120407_143327.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  73.4 KB

So everything said and done, it was a wonderful tail with a few small problems.
    I wrote Stephanie, of Mermaid Parties, and she responded almost immediately.
    I had written her to thank her for her work, let her know that it had arrived, and point out the few problems and suggest some alternatives for the next time she tried larger spines.
    She apologized for the problems and explained that there were indeed some issues with the previous spines she had tried but by the time she found out about the problems AND had resolved them, my tail was already on its way to me.
    Also, she immediately offered to replace my tail, at no cost to me, if I deemed it unusable.

I appreciated her offer but of course, I am a crafty gal, and since I had planned on making some personal tweaks and touches after it arrived, I declined ^.^
    Ahhhhh the scent of a challenge on the wind.

Besides, with such a solid base, and just a few things that needed love, I knew I could handle it.

So I got to work.
    I got some Alex Plus, some E6000, gathered by lumeire and acrylic paints, needle, thread, and a few other bits and bobs, and went to it.

First, I pulled off any of the already peeling Alex from the spines, and actually snipped the first spine away from the other spines so that it would be able to pull away with movement.
    THEN I sewed the foot spines into the neoprene to better secure it (the butt spines were already sewn).

After securing the spines, I made the decision to actually repaint the whole thing.
    While it was lovely the way it came, I decided that I wanted something darker and more vibrant in the gold area.
    SO I mixed the alex with the paint and proceeded to paint the tail, being sure to coat the spines as well, bending the tail were it would bend if it was on me to ensure its ability to move with out pulling the alex apart.
    I also used E6000 to fix the spines to the tail and blend the edges before I painted it.
    I snipped the cloth webbing between the spines to allow for maximum stretch but I didnt cut it off, I just painted it with the tail and the effect was a ragged webbing look that I rather like.

I heat set the whole thing once I was done and it is now hanging in my room... Pics below

Name:  IMG_20120408_011009.jpg
Views: 1403
Size:  33.2 KBName:  IMG_20120408_021720.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  31.4 KBName:  IMG_20120408_021731.jpg
Views: 1862
Size:  46.6 KBName:  IMG_20120408_023617.jpg
Views: 1544
Size:  49.9 KBName:  IMG_20120408_023750.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  43.9 KB

So, All in all I was very pleased with the overall product and as soon as it is dry and cured and swimmable, I will take it to the pool and swim in it with pics and a follow up review

Name:  cutetail1.JPG
Views: 1245
Size:  93.4 KBName:  IMG_20120408_185830.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  62.1 KBName:  cutetail5.JPG
Views: 1367
Size:  213.8 KB
    Last edited by Mermaasai; 04-08-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added pics of finished tail

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    The changes you made look amazing!!! It's absolutely gorgeous now! Thank you for this informative and honest review. I'm so glad you were willing to be one of the first to buy tail from me. I cant wait to see it in the water!! Thank you again!

The final result is awesome.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    you know each time i read your post i find myself smiling you are such a funny and creatively out going person.
    the tail looked beautiful and dark when you got it
    but after those few little changes it was Stunning.
    i honestly can't wait to get my tail and give an epic review for MermaidParties
    although i am slightly rethinking my color choices lol
    but i'm sure it will be epically beautiful on me regardless.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Well at least the dorsal fin was the only flaw, I'm sure improvements will be made when I order mine.

Member Pod of The South Raivynn's Avatar
    This was amazing. I love, love, love, love it.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    We're trying to encourage people to post reviews in the official review system. I just added an entry for Mermaid Parties. Could you post a review there?

Review section for Mermaid Parties
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ermaid-Parties

That looks awesooommme
    I love the redone paint job too it's SWEEEEEET
    NOW SWIM IN IT!!
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by malinghi View Post
    We're trying to encourage people to post reviews in the official review system. I just added an entry for Mermaid Parties. Could you post a review there?

Review section for Mermaid Parties
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ermaid-Parties
    Yes of course! As soon as I get home I shall and thank you every one! Especially mermaid parties!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanti View Post
    That looks awesooommme
    I love the redone paint job too it's SWEEEEEET
    NOW SWIM IN IT!!
    I am working on it woman! Lol!
    My public pool is open tues- sat so as soon as I know the tail is cured and everything fits well, I will dive on in I'm so excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman_Ryan View Post
    Well at least the dorsal fin was the only flaw, I'm sure improvements will be made when I order mine.
    Yes, She has already made steps to correct the problem in future tails from what I understand. ^.^ I'm sure your tail will be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Calypso View Post
    you know each time i read your post i find myself smiling you are such a funny and creatively out going person.
    the tail looked beautiful and dark when you got it
    but after those few little changes it was Stunning.
    i honestly can't wait to get my tail and give an epic review for MermaidParties
    although i am slightly rethinking my color choices lol
    but i'm sure it will be epically beautiful on me regardless.
    Omigosh Calypso, thank you ^.^
    I can't wait to see your tail, it will be absolutely lush I'm sure!

You guys are great, thank you!!! Me and Mermaid Bellatrix and Mermaid Undine went and did a little mermaiding today in Rainbow Falls again. Pictures up soon. It was still too shallow to swim in and definitely still to cold to venture back in the pool under the waterfall. But eventually we will!! Mermaid Undine made it in there for a second before she got too cold. lol gotta love snow run off water here in Colorado. Burrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! haha Oh, and Mermaid Undine was wearing a fabric tail today, so there will be pictures of a fabric tail up soon
    And Prince Calypso, if you are thinking about changing the colors on your tail you totally can. You still have time. Just let me know

Oh yeah, the new Lexan Polycarbonate Monofins work GREAT! They can support a wet fluke in and out of water beautifully Thanks everyone for the suggestion!

oh NICE!
    I may have to replace the old material for that. It did bend along the left side of the fluke so idk how it will hold up with water force.
    I'll shoot you an email for sure.

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    Ahhh amazing Loved this review! Filled my need to see pictures <3

You're tail is GORGEOUS. I love it, especially with the new paint job, and I can't wait to see how it swims!

Wonderful review! These tails really seem nice! I especially like how she does the fluke! Great improvements also! Can't wait for underwater pics!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Awesome! I'm glad you were to make the changes you needed fairly easily. Please please PLEASE get us some water photos soon! SO excited for you!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

I made a video of the tail, just an upclose look at the details etc.. Swimming this coming weekend so expect another vid just for that! (no underwater cam yet though. sooooooon) And I kept saying E600 but I meant E6000 >.-

Love the video! I ordered some Lexan in bulk because it gave me a really good discount, it should be here tomorrow, I'll get it made and sent out to you I think you'll love it. I did when I tested it out this weekend. Unfortunately no swimming, but it handles the weight of the fluke dry and wet beautifully. I'm excited

I went swimming today!!!

Name:  swimming2.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  163.2 KBName:  swimming4.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  103.5 KB Name:  swimming5.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  94.9 KB Name:  swimming6.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  103.1 KB Name:  swimming.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  96.7 KB

The only issue I had was with the monofin. it was the old material so it folded along the lines it was bent at and wasn't usable as a monofin at all.
    BUT as I have said, she is sending me a new monofin so once that is installed I should be able to swim with out issues (I just got impatient lol)

The paint did flake where I was kneeled down the pavement to get into the water and along front where I touched pavement while hoisting myself from the water, but all in all not too much paint loss.
    It should be noted though that the actual ALEX layer didnt peel, just the paint.. so I think if the original ALEX layer is tinted to the base color, this wouldnt be a problem especially if you are just painting on the accent colors sparsely afterwards.

I'm thinking of making a tail with my finis monofin.. in the style of the fabric tail I already own.. I really need to wait until AFTER my wedding though...

It was awesome swimming in my tail though! I am going to install a belt at the top, sew it into the neoprene on the inside and have it be a clip/adjustable belt so it can be nice and tight and not allow the neoprene to gape open with the water rushing past.
    Once that is established I also think that I might not glue the next monofin in.. I might put it into the tail and then sew the ends with a netted material so the water can travel through with out a problem. that way it wont bubble or bloat with trapped water when I lift it from the pool/ocean and also wont allow the monofin to slip out either.

All in all it was a wonderful experience and I had a LOT of fun ^.^