Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail skin for my Mahina?

Member Pod of The South Mermaid Kalele's Avatar

Tail skin for my Mahina?

I'm looking for personal experience with finding a tail skin for a Mahina Merfin... anybody have any recommendations or oh no no's?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I don't have experience buying a skin but I did do a lot of looking when I had a Mahina. I know Mermaid Inc, Magictail, and Swimtails fit the Mahina. Each have their own problems...Mermaid Inc is in Indonesia (overseas shipping sucks), Magictail is pretty see thru, and Swimtails may or may not be trustworthy. I was going to purchase from Mermaid Inc originally.

I've recently ordered from Swimtails and had no problems with receiving my tail skin. I received it within a month of ordering it and I just love their designs. I have their teal beta tail and my newest is the Moon Mermaid tail. All for the Mahina.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I don't have experience buying a skin but I did do a lot of looking when I had a Mahina. I know Mermaid Inc, Magictail, and Swimtails fit the Mahina. Each have their own problems...Mermaid Inc is in Indonesia (overseas shipping sucks), Magictail is pretty see thru, and Swimtails may or may not be trustworthy. I was going to purchase from Mermaid Inc originally.
    Thank you so much, this definitely helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalynn View Post
    I've recently ordered from Swimtails and had no problems with receiving my tail skin. I received it within a month of ordering it and I just love their designs. I have their teal beta tail and my newest is the Moon Mermaid tail. All for the Mahina.
    I ordered my first tail from swimtails, love the design but the monofin isn't my favorite. I've also noticed wear pretty fast on the tips causing the monofin to poke out. I like the look of the beta, is it fabric or scuba knit? What monofin do you have for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kalele View Post
    I'm looking for personal experience with finding a tail skin for a Mahina Merfin... anybody have any recommendations or oh no no's?

So, I also came upon that Courtney Mermaid (Vancouver mer) does scuba knit tail skin for the Mahina at about $400. Is scuba knit more durable than the fabric swimtails uses?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kalele View Post
    So, I also came upon that Courtney Mermaid (Vancouver mer) does scuba knit tail skin for the Mahina at about $400. Is scuba knit more durable than the fabric swimtails uses?

I'm not sure about the difference in durability, but that $400 with Courtney gets you a custom tail, vs the same $400 for a mass produced tail at Swimtails. If you snag a spot with her, you can also get leggings and a top made to match as well.

If I ever have available money when she is accepting commissions I'll be jumping on it in a heartbeat.

I believe they are now making all of their tails out of scuba fabric (which is thicker than most other swim fabrics), and they are making all their tails for the Mahina merfin. The Beta uses the Mahina Merfin as well, the reason the fluke is larger is they have vinyl that you strap on the Mahina. The only wear I have on my Beta is near the heels wear I stood in the pool with it (I was a new Mer, DON'T JUDGE ME! lol ) The regular Moon Mermaid tail has a few tiny scuffs on the fluke, but nothing major and I've swam in it several times. All of their tails have a zipper on the side for Mahina insertion, so they are not open on the bottom. If you order a regular tail skin in an adult size it will be about $130 for the tail skin and shipping in the US. (Mahina not Included) If you need a Mahina it will be about $100 dollars extra, but I suggest looking at Amazon or Ebay first and see in you can find one for cheaper. The Beta tail would be about $400 for the tail skin and shipping. (Mahina not Included) Hope this helps! I'm super glad they got rid of the cheaper monofin they were using at first. Mahinas are so much better.

Courtney has said that custom tails fo the mahina is more expensive that thoes she does for the Luna and Linden as it uses more fabric and thus being more expensive to print. She is also now only taking commissions for tails designs she feels will be good for her port folio. I'll be hopefully getting one designed by her next year. I am however designing and painting my first tails by following her tutorials on tour tube so if your like me and arty farty as we say in the UK that could be something to try x

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Great Lakes
    Follow Mermaid Sea-ra On Twitter Add Mermaid Sea-ra on Facebook

courtney mermaid

I'm on her list for a tail. I gave her my design I did and she responded quickly. Her response time is great! I'm excited to see how it comes together. I feel like it's better to have a custom tail rather than a mass produced tail but that's my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh wow I cant wait to see it when it's made. I have x2 designs in mind for my first tail. Gonna let courtney decide which she wants to do first. Super secret though lol x

Wowsers that design is AMAZING!

Pod of the Great Lakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Avalynn View Post
    Wowsers that design is AMAZING!
    Thanks, I designed it about 2-3 weeks ago. Even though the fluke is not mahina shape, I designed it bigger to fit the mahina. I'm plus size and when I designed it I had in mind that maybe a bigger fluke will proportion my body better. I told Courtney mermaid that but I'm also ok with it having the mahina shape.

Yeah I dont think she would have been able to do the fluke bigger with it being fabric and not silicone x

Pod of the Great Lakes
    Well, looking at it again, its not bigger
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bleh feeling ugly and fat! I have a Merling on the way, due to arrive in July. Haven't been able to go swimming in my tail due to the discovered fact that I sink like a rock when I'm pregnant. Sooooo feeling like a beached whale, but excited. And I'm planning on getting my YOUTUBE channel started soon so that's an extra plus! YAY! How are you!

You will have to post pictures or a video of it in action when it's done! Looks so cool and with the extra fabric at the tips it will be extra flowy!

Yeah not much but the fabric wouldn't lie right. The mahina in itself has a fantastic shape and I cant wait till.you get it and show the rest of the world it x

Aww Avalynn how exciting for a little baba lol. I dont have kids myself but my sister has 3, Alicia 17, Miley 10 and Phoebe 3 month old and I've had so much influence in my mates kids lives I dont need my own lol. Our Alicia is my girl, I had her the most when she was growing up and we have a like mother/daughter relationship xx