Thread: Sun protection from evil Texas sun

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Sun protection from evil Texas sun

Looking for ideas on how to look mermaidy and not getting bogged down with sun protection. No matter what I do the Texas sun destroys me. I have a mermaid themed rash guard from Roxy I sometimes wear and am currently looking for a mermaidy sun hat or bucket hat ( very hard to find a mermaid design that is not in kids sizes). Something like a mermaid print or scales altho honestly a solid color to match my tails would be easier. One of my problems is the drag I get from just the rash guard alone...does anyone else have to put on a lot of sun protection when they're mermaiding and how do you not get bogged down or look too stupid by all the extra crap? Is there anything else I could consider wearing with a tail to 'keep the magic' that will prevent burns?

You might want to have your vitamin D levels checked. If you are low (and most people are with all the fear-mongering about skin cancer), you will probably need to supplement until you are up to speed. Your care protector can tell you how much you need. The RDA of 400 to 600 IU isn't enough to keep a bird functioning, btw. Also, the vitamins in "fortified" foods are not the correct type of Vitamin D -- you need D3 rather than D2.

Once you have enough in your system, it will serve as a natural skin protectant. I haven't had anything resembling a sunburn in about 15 years even though I'm outside with a lot of skin exposure for several hours a day.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    I mostly blame it on not being able to find a cruelty free and vegan sunblock that can last.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    I mostly blame it on not being able to find a cruelty free and vegan sunblock that can last.
    Here in Australia, we have sunscreen with a spf of +50. The highest I've ever seen is, +100.

This is the +100, from Neutrogena.
    https://au.iherb.com/pr/Neutrogena-U...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

About the rash guard, get a long sleeve one and add fins on the sleeves.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    (Texas mer here. Galveston area) Honestly, a rash guard is really the only thing I have to suggest.

Since I have lupus and have to limit my sun exposure I've been trying to find any solution at all, but that's the best I have found so far. I've actually bought a plain white one that I plan on decorating to match my tail to see if maybe I feel less goofy that way...

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    Alba makes one that is cruelty free, and I *think* its vegan too. I'd check the bottle but we finished it off over the weekend

**edit** I just checked and it is both vegan and cruelty free. I buy it because on top of all that it is also reef safe!
    Last edited by Mermaid_Rain; 04-30-2019 at 12:49 PM.