Thread: Holding your breath.

Holding your breath.

Ok my fellow merfolk, I quit smoking 2 and a half weeks ago, (just went cold turkey) I'm so committed to mermaiding i did it, now what sort of things did everyone do to train their lungs to hold more air as currently i cant hold it much but i bet everyone over time got better and better. So just hit me with all the ways you trained your lungs to hold more air

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    I highly recommend downloading a breathing apnea app for your phone. There are several good ones to help free divers train for longer and safer breath holds.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Exercise.
    Formerly known as ireneho

The only exercise I'm doing is swimming. With my having fibro I'm limited as everything pains the hell out of me

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Ok my fellow merfolk, I quit smoking 2 and a half weeks ago, (just went cold turkey) I'm so committed to mermaiding i did it, now what sort of things did everyone do to train their lungs to hold more air as currently i cant hold it much but i bet everyone over time got better and better. So just hit me with all the ways you trained your lungs to hold more air

Most of the time it's all about using the air you have wisely and efficiently, not so much about storing more. Relaxation and yoga-like breathing excercises are a good start, and if you are already swimming, that helps, too. But relaxation and being aware of every move really is the key.

I would suggest signing up to a freedive course, too. You will learn all about that there. And if you are from the UK (as I think you have mentioned), there quite a bunch of them available, even sime combining freediving and mermaiding.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Yeah theres some lasses in Durham but it will have to wait till next year cos I'm off to Florida in September lol

If you’ve had years of breathing in cigarette smoke and other toxins, the idea of cleaning out your lungs and getting a fresh start can sound very appealing. I personally quit smoking 6 months ago. I can recommend you to try breathing in deeply, and filing the lung cavity. When you exhale, purse your lips and breathe slowly. Then, try holding your breath for a few seconds. vapingdaily.com - you can read more about tips for ex-smokers here.